Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Nowhere to go: The Anti "Gear Aquisition Syndrom" Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackodrum
    replied
    Love this thread.

I bought a TD9 v1 (all mesh heads) about 10 years ago. It has a KD8 which I have thought about replacing but it keeps working and does the job. I replaced the FD8 which needed repeated repairs and got too noisy with an FD9, which works well with the module and VSTs. I added a PD8 to copy the cowbell positioning on my acoustic kits. I have thought about upgrading but with SD2 and now SD3 I can never bring myself to spend thousands of dollars on a new module.

I donít need large heads (my main acoustic kit has only one 10Ē inch snare and one 10Ē inch tom), I have midi in and out, separate triggers on heads and rims, and a 3-zone ride that works. I would like positional sensing on the snare for SD3 but for the money I would have to spend to get it I really wonder how much Iím missing.

Re buying an A kit, beautiful shells are great to have, but really, choice and tuning of heads is much more important. I would recommend saving money on the kit, but make sure you have good pedals, and spend up to get cymbals you love.
    Last edited by jackodrum; 01-31-19, 02:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yoav420
    replied
    Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
    Man, I love your Story and your picture. Looks like a realy quiet kit!

If you lasted 3 years without significant Upgrades (and with a PDX-8 Snare) you were doing just fine and earned yourself a new set.
    I now promoted a CY-8 to be the Hi-Hat and the cy-5 is a Splash cymbal. Not much of a difference, but I kinda like it more.

I thought about buying an Audio interface and all the stuff for a dedicated VST-Computer to Play EZ Drummer or Perfect Drums. But honestly I think that just takes away time I should practise or have fun playing the drums without a big enouogh benefit (in my case!).

Completely silent!
    Yeah, that pdx-8 was pretty harsh but that's it, the trigger has been pulled and a td-17 is on it's way to me. I haven't played for around 3 weeks and I'm simply DYING to try it already
    If you want to invest more in your kit, since you have a good snare and ride I'd say the next upgrade is definitely a proper hi-hat, maybe your can find a good used deal and dodge the 400$ price tag. For me, the difference was simply huge, I hated the fd-8 so much!
    Ah and you don't need an audio interface with the td-11, you can connect it to your computer via usb and I heared there's really good response time that way. My next step is definitely Superior Drummer 3, just listen to that sound quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_EHZlIjPVA, I just really needed good pads but sound wise it beats anything I ever heard.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    Man, I love your Story and your picture. Looks like a realy quiet kit!

If you lasted 3 years without significant Upgrades (and with a PDX-8 Snare) you were doing just fine and earned yourself a new set.
    I now promoted a CY-8 to be the Hi-Hat and the cy-5 is a Splash cymbal. Not much of a difference, but I kinda like it more.

I thought about buying an Audio interface and all the stuff for a dedicated VST-Computer to Play EZ Drummer or Perfect Drums. But honestly I think that just takes away time I should practise or have fun playing the drums without a big enouogh benefit (in my case!).

Leave a comment:

• yoav420
    replied
    I was in a situation similar to yours, I kinda liked my VEXed td-11k enough to keep playing it without upgrading and lasted like a good boy for 3 years.
    And then I found a really good deal on a used vh-11, the difference was so big that it re-ignited my GAS big time, just in the middle of Uni exams also heh.
    The td-11 will always have a place in my heart but man, that ****ing pdx-8 snare, those lame cy-8 and worst of all, that god forsaken cy-5 & fd-8 fail combo did not get better with time.
    I ended up selling my kit, as of right now I'm in a middle of a huge GAS attack, looking like a madman for a replacement (most likely a td-17kvx) and drumming on my legs instead of studying.

CURRENT KIT: NOTHING

tl;dr - If you buy anything, that GAS is going to come out, and it's not gonna smell good.
    Last edited by yoav420; 01-27-19, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MylesB
    replied
    You will only find one volume knob on a td17kvx kit. Just think about that for a second. Almost every song loaded needs to be tweaked before you play.

So maple is way to go?

Leave a comment:

• Intruder
    replied
    That ought to get the hips moving

Leave a comment:

• jimorlando
    replied
    Originally posted by Intruder View Post
    All my cash has been going into the Harley. LOL
    Iím maxed out on drums and wouldnít consider acoustic. I donít need or want anything!
    i have what I consider all the best so, gas is finally gone. Only took about 6 years.
    The Harley is done too. Well, maybe new tires.
    My next investment will be a new road bike (bicycle). My 1980 Trek doesnít fit me that well anymore. Imagine that.
    Reflecting on this, it appears that I have a lot of old bicycles and drums.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    Great. Mad a anti-GAS Thread and now I am looking for accoustic Kits, *g*
    Did you know thos kits have nearly zero latency, Need no (electricity) power at all, often look really nice and Sound really well?

Still searching for the Volume knob though, and try to figure out how I can switch a Birch Kit to a Maple kit with one button. *g*

Leave a comment:

• Intruder
    replied
    All my cash has been going into the Harley. LOL
    Iím maxed out on drums and wouldnít consider acoustic. I donít need or want anything!
    i have what I consider all the best so, gas is finally gone. Only took about 6 years.
    The Harley is done too. Well, maybe new tires.

Leave a comment:

• jimorlando
    replied
    Iím waiting for Intruder to chime in on this thread.

Iím pretty much maxed out on edrums and acoustic drums.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    Great. Mad a anti-GAS Thread and now I am looking for accoustic Kits, *g*

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesB View Post

I looked on eBay for an Acustic kit today during lunch so that the next time I get asked to sit in a band, i can...

I also spent 500 on a double peddle and a nice hi-hat stand. I absolutly love playing my headphone drum set, and that is putting it lightly.
    Wow. That is a great Point. Gotta find a good occasion to tell my wife about that Idea.

Leave a comment:

• MylesB
    replied
    I waited and bought a TD-17kvx kit a few weeks ago and a DA200 amp. Still have more work to do but the sound is great through the headset, but i bought the amp for nothing. I can’t believe how bad it sounds using and amp and/or through a PA system that a sale got me. I feel the same way you do. No where to go from here.

I looked on eBay for an Acustic kit today during lunch so that the next time I get asked to sit in a band, i can...

I also spent 500 on a double peddle and a nice hi-hat stand. I absolutly love playing my headphone drum set, and that is putting it lightly. But if somebody can help recommending an accustic set i would be very appreciativ. Please no sales.

Leave a comment:

• soccerdude84
    replied
    I'm definitely at the point where it's no longer feasible to add anything new to my kit so any future purchases will just be replacing something else.

Leave a comment:

• demonocus
    replied
    demonocus: nice kit!

The TD-9 Sounds seem to be pretty similar to the TD11, but with one more Trigger Input and MIDI Input. Sounds are the same issue. Not perfect, but not bad enough that you have to change. If you use a VST, the TD-9 is quite enough.

Do you use Presets from drumtec or Vexpressions?
    Just using my own presets 1 made a year ago before i got my ad5,part of the reason i got the ad5 was so i wouldn't have to use a vst so i haven't picked 1 out yet and still need to get a midi cable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X