Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

ē The Lounge is for general e-drumming discussion only. Please do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Nowhere to go: The Anti "Gear Aquisition Syndrom" Topic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nowhere to go: The Anti "Gear Aquisition Syndrom" Topic

Hi. just wanted to share some thoughts. Short: I started with a Cheap Millenium Set, went to a Yamaha DTXtreme2s, stopped drumming, restarted with another cheap Millenium Set, bought a TD11K and upgraded it.
    Now I am at a Point where I got nowhere else to go for a reasonable Price, and wanted to share my thoughts to give some Food for thought.

1. Modul: I have the TD11 . Upgraded it with 2 Drum Tec Sound Editions, which changed the quallity drasticly. I would like more realistic accoustic sounds. Loved the Idea of upgrading to a TD17, but it`s just not worth the Price, as the noticeable higher Quality (for me) starts with the ATV ad5 but really kicks in with the mimic. So no upgrade there.
    2. Snare: 2Box Trigger, Real Feel Drumhead, nice 12" Shell. Works fine.
    3. Kick: KD-9. works. does not look cool, but I Play an my Basement. nobody cares.
    4. Toms: 2 PDX-8 for TomToms, 1 PD-120 as Floor Tom. works
    5. Cymbals: 2 CY-8 as Crashes, 1 CY13-R as Ride. works.
    6. HiHat: FD-8 - CY5 Combo. Looks really crappy, but I can not bring myself to invest 400 Bucks in a nice Hi Hat Stand plus a VH-10 or VH-11, just for the Looks and the acoustic feel, both I do not Need.
    7. Hardware: The PDP Concept Bass Drum Pedal works really well for me. Well. A Nicer Rack then the MDS-4 would be cool, with more Option on Bass Drum and Tom Placement. I have seen the Ales Trike rack for 150 at Drum Tec. That`s the only Thing that might be interesting.

So, my Cure for G.A.S is being stuck with decent gear, where every significant upgrade Costs like 400$ up and there is Nothing that really sucks and no Little upgrade for like 80 bucks available. I once read " updae the most annoying piece on your drumset". Right now that`s Nothing.

While starting from the TD11-K, a used PDX-8 for 50 Bucks instead of the PD8A Rubber Pad increased the feel massively, a Cy13R instead of a CY8 for a Ride is a different world and a 12" Snare instead of a PDX-8...well, I find no words for that upgrade.

Right now, I don`t think there is a drumset in the below 6000 $ Range that could significantly enhance my experience while drumming.

No Questions, no interesting Info. Just had to put my thoughts out into the world.

I get where you are coming from. You have good-quality pads with a reasonably-sized snare and floor tom, a three-zone ride and a couple of crashes. That does the trick pretty well.

If I were you, my pain points would be the module's sound quality and the hi hat. As you've said, though, upgrades to those come with a significant price tag. For sound quality, you might want to consider going VST - even factoring in the cost of a capable laptop keeps you well out of sight of mimic prices.

For hi hat, I used to use a CY5 but wasn't happy with it. I now use a Yamaha PCY135 and I like the size and responsiveness much better. It is rack mounted, so no real stand and open/close motion - but even as someone who also regularly plays acoustic hats, that really hasn't been deal breaker for me.

Comment

I started out with a very cheap yamaha dx explorer ,sold that and upgraded to a full mesh roland td9,i upgraded the kick to a kd120,the hihat to a vh11 and added a cy13 and cy15 ride,that was fine for awhile but i found the 8nch pads to small so i did a diy conversion using quartz harnesses on an acoustic 10 inch and 12inch toms and 14inch snare later on i did my 13inch tom,16inch tom and bassdrum with roland mesh heads and rt30 triggers,i later added a pearl rack and got an atvad5 module last year. Had some fail issues with the quartz so i took them out and now have all rt30 triggers and mesh heads.

Recently though i went back to my td 9 module. I found the ad5 too limiting and it triggered poorly with my kick drum and roland cymbals. Its also had an issue with the ride sustain clipping when doing blast beats. I am now sort of in your situation where i see no where to go. Mimic is just too much money and i fear it will trigger just as bad as the ad5 with my setup ,td50 is nice but again too much money ,td17 looks like the best option but idk how much of an upgrade it would be over my td9 and it has the same amount of inputs but my td9 also has midi in so i can run a slave module if i need more inputs ,can't do that with a td17 but then again i don't need a monster kit anyway so i could really just stop upgrading at this point.

This is my kit today.49183537_2211706545823875_78474519991287808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeHY6DnBfvcxhVyq5HAwLUHb-sEsPfxqa7AdF4T0vPSfDp7Yk9X4GCjeUNcdCkvkp_P7vISH0s_O7ibBU8a6e2Qufxvrszb4ZXuJ2akMzAa7uw&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=4cd6d03da328d17012f6acee215ce5

Comment

demonocus: nice kit!

The TD-9 Sounds seem to be pretty similar to the TD11, but with one more Trigger Input and MIDI Input. Sounds are the same issue. Not perfect, but not bad enough that you have to change. If you use a VST, the TD-9 is quite enough.

Do you use Presets from drumtec or Vexpressions?

Comment

demonocus: I followed the same path: from TD-9 to aD-5 once it came out, but which I then quickly sold and replaced by a TD-30, still happy with this one, only using 2 self-created kits.

holzi2000: I would keep the TD-11 and look into triggering VST, such as Superior Drummer. I would also upgrade the hihat to a VH-10 or 11.
          E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?raw=1
          A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
          TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
            demonocus: nice kit!

The TD-9 Sounds seem to be pretty similar to the TD11, but with one more Trigger Input and MIDI Input. Sounds are the same issue. Not perfect, but not bad enough that you have to change. If you use a VST, the TD-9 is quite enough.

Do you use Presets from drumtec or Vexpressions?
            Just using my own presets 1 made a year ago before i got my ad5,part of the reason i got the ad5 was so i wouldn't have to use a vst so i haven't picked 1 out yet and still need to get a midi cable.

Comment

I'm definitely at the point where it's no longer feasible to add anything new to my kit so any future purchases will just be replacing something else.
              Dual Alesis Module Drum Set (DM10+DM8+Trigger iO), Dual Layer Tennis Ball Drum Riser
              Shure SE215 IEM's, Simmons DA50 Amp, Alto Professional ZMX862 Mixer, Tama SpeedCobra Pedals, Vic Firth 7AN Sticks, Roc-N-Soc Original Throne

Comment

I waited and bought a TD-17kvx kit a few weeks ago and a DA200 amp. Still have more work to do but the sound is great through the headset, but i bought the amp for nothing. I can’t believe how bad it sounds using and amp and/or through a PA system that a sale got me. I feel the same way you do. No where to go from here.

I looked on eBay for an Acustic kit today during lunch so that the next time I get asked to sit in a band, i can...

I also spent 500 on a double peddle and a nice hi-hat stand. I absolutly love playing my headphone drum set, and that is putting it lightly. But if somebody can help recommending an accustic set i would be very appreciativ. Please no sales.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesB View Post

I looked on eBay for an Acustic kit today during lunch so that the next time I get asked to sit in a band, i can...

I also spent 500 on a double peddle and a nice hi-hat stand. I absolutly love playing my headphone drum set, and that is putting it lightly.
                  Wow. That is a great Point. Gotta find a good occasion to tell my wife about that Idea.

Comment

Great. Mad a anti-GAS Thread and now I am looking for accoustic Kits, *g*

Comment

Iím waiting for Intruder to chime in on this thread.

Iím pretty much maxed out on edrums and acoustic drums.
                      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

All my cash has been going into the Harley. LOL
                        Iím maxed out on drums and wouldnít consider acoustic. I donít need or want anything!
                        i have what I consider all the best so, gas is finally gone. Only took about 6 years.
                        The Harley is done too. Well, maybe new tires.
                        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
                          Great. Mad a anti-GAS Thread and now I am looking for accoustic Kits, *g*
                          Did you know thos kits have nearly zero latency, Need no (electricity) power at all, often look really nice and Sound really well?

Still searching for the Volume knob though, and try to figure out how I can switch a Birch Kit to a Maple kit with one button. *g*

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
                            All my cash has been going into the Harley. LOL
                            Iím maxed out on drums and wouldnít consider acoustic. I donít need or want anything!
                            i have what I consider all the best so, gas is finally gone. Only took about 6 years.
                            The Harley is done too. Well, maybe new tires.
                            My next investment will be a new road bike (bicycle). My 1980 Trek doesnít fit me that well anymore. Imagine that.
                            Reflecting on this, it appears that I have a lot of old bicycles and drums.
                            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

That ought to get the hips moving
                              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                              X