Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

The Lounge is for general e-drumming discussion only. Please do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Going from A2E back to all Roland kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from A2E back to all Roland kit?

I've been playing electronic drums for almost 10 years. Started on the Roland TD-9KX. Been through the TD-15 and a Taye GoKit A2E. Currently playing an aD5 on an A2E w/ Roland cymbals. I had originally bought the full TD-25KV kit but did an A2E pretty soon afterwards. Then recently upgraded to the aD5.

After playing on the A2E for about a year and a half I'm considering going back to the TD-25KV pads.

Just as an experiment.

It seems with the A2E I'm always chasing better triggering or little poltergeists. Try this trigger or that head. Experiment with moving the trigger around. What settings work best?

So I think for the next few weeks I'm going to setup my KV kit and just play. It'll be an interesting experiment. I may find I'm still chasing little ghosts here and there. Or not. The Roland pads are some of the best on the market so my expectation is that there will be fewer issues and disruptions.

Not ready to give up on A2E but I am curious what I'll find.

Anyone else do this? Insights?

TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

<devil's class="advocate">
    A2E is a compromise. Dedicated pads are always better. A2E is just for people who care more about looks. Sort of like Beats headphones.
    </devils>
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

It depends on the situation and requirements. More than a decade ago, I was in a band that started playing house music. When faced with the requirement for apropriate sound I turned to electronics but for personal and visual reasons, I decided to add the electronics to my A set. Not really a to e, since I just triggered the kit leaving the setup fully acoustic (with few added pads for loops and efx) but it turned out that it was a right choice. The band got the sound desired, still had the stage feel of the real drum for myself and others, and we kept the appearance of a 'regular' band (which gave a bonus effect for the style we played). It just happened that we played mostly big and loud venues so I never had a need for a fully electronic setup but it would've surely been my move if the situation asked for it.

A to e vs. fully e is personal preference and a visual/ergonomic decision. If you struggle with diy stuff, you can turn to some great manufactured pads (drumtec, pintech, joebecky etc.) or go hybrid. Things have moved on since ten years ago . Nowadays, I play full e on the ship and use acoustics or a small spdsx kit at home... My favourite will always be acc but learning to tune and play full e was a great addition to my skills. Go with whatever feels best and befits the situation.
      °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
      °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
      °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Having trigger issue can be really frustrating, don't let that drag your passion down! Another option, beside going back to your TD-25KV pads, check out Drum-tec pro Shell Set (if your budget allow). I've been using that set with Mimic module for couple years now and very satisfied with their products (zero issue so far). At the end of the day, all I want to do is play drums, not trouble shooting trigger or mesh heads, etc... Also, there is nothing wrong with wanting a real size E kit. They looks great on stage! Good luck, go with what motivated you to play!! Here is my kit

My_Kit2.JPG

Comment

ATV aDrums are another good option - fantastic triggering and decent sizes. I'm considering wrapping mine though - the black lacquer, while well done, is kind of boring.
          Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Was just gonna say what Molson said, I’m THRILLED with the triggering of the aDrums and aD5. I was getting really discouraged by my inability to completely “dial out” hotspots on my various Roland kits, and so enjoy the response of the ATV offering. Hopefully you kind find a set to try...

Comment

After several years, I've never experienced and real issues with my A2E. Sure there are hot spots but there are hot spots on an acoustic stare too

On a side note, I played on atv kit a couple days ago and it was pretty freaking solid!. I saw 3 cone/triggers spaced evenly a few inches in from the rim.

Great product but,..... 10x the price of my A2E

Comment

Originally posted by New Tricks View Post
                but there are hot spots on an acoustic stare too
                Well, that's a first o.O
                °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
                °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
                °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
                  ATV aDrums are another good option - fantastic triggering and decent sizes. I'm considering wrapping mine though - the black lacquer, while well done, is kind of boring.
                  What would Steve Gadd say? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X