Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Anti E-drumming bias, live shows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ_Zombot
    replied
    It's definitely a thing, especially in heavy music. I did a show in Richmond and later I was in the bathroom at a urinal and I hear one guy say to another guy who played in the opening band, "Hey, awesome job playing those REAL drums".

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    thanks, will try it

Leave a comment:

• kurth83
    replied
    Looks like I need to copy out the patches by hand and convert to text, the save to usb function is the whole thing, not a per patch thing.

Give me a few days to put that together.

It's only three kits that are my workhorses, and they share a lot of parameters between them, so I'll upload the layout, and each sound I use, and you can mix and match.

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    kurth83, can you share your few patches setup so I can try on my HPD-20? thanks.

Leave a comment:

• kurth83
    replied
    Performed on my HPD-20 last sunday morn.

I have patches that don't require pedals, so I decided to compete with the guitar players and singers and I STOOD UP.. Haha, take that... :-)

I always use it as a full kit, the 10 pads get me kick, snare, two toms, rim, and some cymbal sounds, closed hat is the center one, hit it with the thumb.
    I have a few patches where I switch out some of the cymbal sounds, on one I have a tambourine and a shaker egg. And I have two different snares I like. The hardest part was to get decent cymbal swells, but I did. I have patches where I match the sounds of certain recordings too, you won't get that with a real kit. It gets me pretty far for such a small convenient device.

But the BL would prefer I use real drums, I disagree, it amps the stage volume up terribly. We have a great guest drummer who comes in once or twice a year on a real kit, and I am glad we don't do that all the time, even though his playing is fantastic.

I don't really consider the HPD-20 to have high-quality sounds though, I dream of using it as a MIDI controller to a mimic pro, then the sounds would be perfect. My drumming would still be mediocre but that's another story.. :-)
    Last edited by kurth83; 01-14-19, 09:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John.b
    replied
    Well its a new perspective on Head Banging.

Leave a comment:

• jpsquared482
    replied
    I suppose it could be worse...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TnQktmMZ_g

Leave a comment:

• John.b
    replied
    Hi, I'm an old git and never got to play E's on stage but as far as I am concerned, if it sounds right, it is right.

Leave a comment:

• MylesB
    replied
    Iím old but just bought a TD-17cvx kit a few weeks ago with all the extras and absolutely love it, but only using the headphones, I would only do a gig using accustic. Itís possible i need to work on a different sound setup, but using an amp or a PA is no comparison. That guy still is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• Ericdrumz
    replied
    o no ? many drummers would say there was a division between people who use drumsticks and people who play with their hands
    (some would even call them 'percussionist' ) if a percussionist was triggering say a ride cymbal sound or a snare rimshot with his hands,
    i can imagine some people being surprised.. wouldn't you ? .. now would you like to buy a conversation or an argument ?

Leave a comment:

• kaosotis
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
    so.. you were triggering acoustic drum sounds with your hands.. and wondering why a 20's drummer (lil drunk) didn't see this as 'real' drumming ?
    well.. you weren't using sticks and making sounds that 'belong' to sticks .. on this forum everybody 'gets it' and understands it.. but in acoustic drumming
    jam/ festival land.. no.. 'they' (young drummers) would probably look at it like this ..
    The young drummers use triggers and hybrid kits aplenty so I don't think that's the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Ericdrumz
    replied
    so.. you were triggering acoustic drum sounds with your hands.. and wondering why a 20's drummer (lil drunk) didn't see this as 'real' drumming ?
    well.. you weren't using sticks and making sounds that 'belong' to sticks .. on this forum everybody 'gets it' and understands it.. but in acoustic drumming
    jam/ festival land.. no.. 'they' (young drummers) would probably look at it like this ..

Leave a comment:

• Vigosh
    replied
    First thing I look at when I go to a venue is whether the drummer is using E-Drums, If he/she is, I go and strike up a conversation.....

I'm definitely not 20 something though....

Leave a comment:

• machias
    replied
    Originally posted by daledrumz View Post
    He who was offended was, granted, a fairly intoxicated twenty something, also apparently a drummer.
    I'd chalk it up to youth and a belly full of beer. Unless he came on horseback and uses an outhouse, new technology and novel uses of existing instruments is a good thing for any self-respecting musician.

Leave a comment:

• daledrumz
    replied
    Oh yes, don't let me mislead regarding my experiences performing with the Handsonic. I've had many compliments, as well as the wide-eyed wonder that my very high quality drum sounds are coming from a little saucer shaped device I'm playing with my hands like many "civilians" might a countertop. While I love my acoustics, by and large it's a gas mixing in appearances with the HPD-10 & 20,...and/or the SPD-30. It IS my position however that due to the Handsonic's radical departure from the "look" of drums, electronic or otherwise, AND the lack of sticks,...it affects folks a tad-bit differently.

While I've done my share of larger venues, they were always with mic'd acoustics. My current and previous bands wherein I used electronics were largely self contained (no add-on techs). While we DO have the occasional dude walking the floor with an iPad controlling our QSC Touchmix, they've never been negative regarding my on/off again use of any of my Roland gear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X