Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Anti E-drumming bias, live shows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ_Zombot
    replied
    It's definitely a thing, especially in heavy music. I did a show in Richmond and later I was in the bathroom at a urinal and I hear one guy say to another guy who played in the opening band, "Hey, awesome job playing those REAL drums".

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    thanks, will try it

Leave a comment:

• kurth83
    replied
    Looks like I need to copy out the patches by hand and convert to text, the save to usb function is the whole thing, not a per patch thing.

Give me a few days to put that together.

It's only three kits that are my workhorses, and they share a lot of parameters between them, so I'll upload the layout, and each sound I use, and you can mix and match.

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    kurth83, can you share your few patches setup so I can try on my HPD-20? thanks.

Leave a comment:

• kurth83
    replied
    Performed on my HPD-20 last sunday morn.

I have patches that don't require pedals, so I decided to compete with the guitar players and singers and I STOOD UP.. Haha, take that... :-)

I always use it as a full kit, the 10 pads get me kick, snare, two toms, rim, and some cymbal sounds, closed hat is the center one, hit it with the thumb.
    I have a few patches where I switch out some of the cymbal sounds, on one I have a tambourine and a shaker egg. And I have two different snares I like. The hardest part was to get decent cymbal swells, but I did. I have patches where I match the sounds of certain recordings too, you won't get that with a real kit. It gets me pretty far for such a small convenient device.

But the BL would prefer I use real drums, I disagree, it amps the stage volume up terribly. We have a great guest drummer who comes in once or twice a year on a real kit, and I am glad we don't do that all the time, even though his playing is fantastic.

I don't really consider the HPD-20 to have high-quality sounds though, I dream of using it as a MIDI controller to a mimic pro, then the sounds would be perfect. My drumming would still be mediocre but that's another story.. :-)
    Last edited by kurth83; 01-14-19, 09:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John.b
    replied
    Well its a new perspective on Head Banging.

Leave a comment:

• jpsquared482
    replied
    I suppose it could be worse...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TnQktmMZ_g

Leave a comment:

• John.b
    replied
    Hi, I'm an old git and never got to play E's on stage but as far as I am concerned, if it sounds right, it is right.

Leave a comment:

• MylesB
    replied
    Iím old but just bought a TD-17cvx kit a few weeks ago with all the extras and absolutely love it, but only using the headphones, I would only do a gig using accustic. Itís possible i need to work on a different sound setup, but using an amp or a PA is no comparison. That guy still is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• Ericdrumz
    replied
    o no ? many drummers would say there was a division between people who use drumsticks and people who play with their hands
    (some would even call them 'percussionist' ) if a percussionist was triggering say a ride cymbal sound or a snare rimshot with his hands,
    i can imagine some people being surprised.. wouldn't you ? .. now would you like to buy a conversation or an argument ?

Leave a comment:

• kaosotis
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
    so.. you were triggering acoustic drum sounds with your hands.. and wondering why a 20's drummer (lil drunk) didn't see this as 'real' drumming ?
    well.. you weren't using sticks and making sounds that 'belong' to sticks .. on this forum everybody 'gets it' and understands it.. but in acoustic drumming
    jam/ festival land.. no.. 'they' (young drummers) would probably look at it like this ..
    The young drummers use triggers and hybrid kits aplenty so I don't think that's the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Ericdrumz
    replied
    so.. you were triggering acoustic drum sounds with your hands.. and wondering why a 20's drummer (lil drunk) didn't see this as 'real' drumming ?
    well.. you weren't using sticks and making sounds that 'belong' to sticks .. on this forum everybody 'gets it' and understands it.. but in acoustic drumming
    jam/ festival land.. no.. 'they' (young drummers) would probably look at it like this ..

Leave a comment:

• Vigosh
    replied
    First thing I look at when I go to a venue is whether the drummer is using E-Drums, If he/she is, I go and strike up a conversation.....

I'm definitely not 20 something though....

Leave a comment:

• machias
    replied
    Originally posted by daledrumz View Post
    He who was offended was, granted, a fairly intoxicated twenty something, also apparently a drummer.
    I'd chalk it up to youth and a belly full of beer. Unless he came on horseback and uses an outhouse, new technology and novel uses of existing instruments is a good thing for any self-respecting musician.

Leave a comment:

• daledrumz
    replied
    Oh yes, don't let me mislead regarding my experiences performing with the Handsonic. I've had many compliments, as well as the wide-eyed wonder that my very high quality drum sounds are coming from a little saucer shaped device I'm playing with my hands like many "civilians" might a countertop. While I love my acoustics, by and large it's a gas mixing in appearances with the HPD-10 & 20,...and/or the SPD-30. It IS my position however that due to the Handsonic's radical departure from the "look" of drums, electronic or otherwise, AND the lack of sticks,...it affects folks a tad-bit differently.

While I've done my share of larger venues, they were always with mic'd acoustics. My current and previous bands wherein I used electronics were largely self contained (no add-on techs). While we DO have the occasional dude walking the floor with an iPad controlling our QSC Touchmix, they've never been negative regarding my on/off again use of any of my Roland gear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X