Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Anti E-drumming bias, live shows.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performed on my HPD-20 last sunday morn.

I have patches that don't require pedals, so I decided to compete with the guitar players and singers and I STOOD UP.. Haha, take that... :-)

I always use it as a full kit, the 10 pads get me kick, snare, two toms, rim, and some cymbal sounds, closed hat is the center one, hit it with the thumb.
    I have a few patches where I switch out some of the cymbal sounds, on one I have a tambourine and a shaker egg. And I have two different snares I like. The hardest part was to get decent cymbal swells, but I did. I have patches where I match the sounds of certain recordings too, you won't get that with a real kit. It gets me pretty far for such a small convenient device.

But the BL would prefer I use real drums, I disagree, it amps the stage volume up terribly. We have a great guest drummer who comes in once or twice a year on a real kit, and I am glad we don't do that all the time, even though his playing is fantastic.

I don't really consider the HPD-20 to have high-quality sounds though, I dream of using it as a MIDI controller to a mimic pro, then the sounds would be perfect. My drumming would still be mediocre but that's another story.. :-)
    Last edited by kurth83; 01-14-19, 09:40 PM.
    Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
    Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
    Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

kurth83, can you share your few patches setup so I can try on my HPD-20? thanks.

Comment

Looks like I need to copy out the patches by hand and convert to text, the save to usb function is the whole thing, not a per patch thing.

Give me a few days to put that together.

It's only three kits that are my workhorses, and they share a lot of parameters between them, so I'll upload the layout, and each sound I use, and you can mix and match.

Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
        Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
        Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

thanks, will try it

Comment

It's definitely a thing, especially in heavy music. I did a show in Richmond and later I was in the bathroom at a urinal and I hear one guy say to another guy who played in the opening band, "Hey, awesome job playing those REAL drums".
            Roland TD -12 & Korg Electribe ESX with a custom configuration of Roland pads, Gibralter rack, DW 5000 pedals, Macbook Pro, 1 titanium reinforced Tibia and a very ugly disposition.

Comment

Working...
            X