Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

The Lounge is for general e-drumming discussion only. Please do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Anti E-drumming bias, live shows.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti E-drumming bias, live shows.

Do/have you experienced this recently? I have. Now I’m and older guy and I was doing a cover-band show in a space-challenged bar using my Handsonic and pedals with an acoustic kit patch mainly. Sounded wonderful in my humble opinion.

He who was offended was, granted, a fairly intoxicated twenty something, also apparently a drummer. He didn’t seem to look like the punk dirt-bag he sounded like. The usual stuff, “Where’s your ‘real drums’, if you have any!”. I said I was giving them the night off, and that I was playing “real drums” live before he was even a glimmer in his father’s eye, etc. and that if he ever got a gig to call me and I’ll play the low-class idiot too and come heckle him.

He was pretty adamant that I was betraying “...YOUR own era MAN”(!!). I suggested to him that he relax because the very sounds I was triggering were probably some of the same he hears on his favorite Imagine Dragons and Taylor Swift numbers so PLEASE shut up.

I suppose I was surprised to get this in 2018. I remember hearing it more in the late 90s when I used a full V-Drums kit for a couple years live. I’m located in a fairly remote Minnesota area, but loaded with college towns so not totally hillbilly, and only just < an hour south of the Twin Cities. Anyway, just wondering how out of the norm this was for those that play live in bars/clubs. I’m very curious actually.
    Sounds: HPD-(10 & 20) SPS-30, SPD-S
    Triggers: KT-10, FD-9, Roland acoustic (duals and singles)
    Acoustic Kits: Ludwig Legacy Classics and Classics, Pearl Crystal Beat
    Cymbals: Paiste, Zildjian, Sabina, etc. & waaay too much hardware.

I never got hassle when I did it. Mind you I probably wouldn’t have been as polite as you were!
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Nope. Apart from stuck-in-1958-acoustic-drummers (who are generally jealous) and luddite musos. Never had a neg from a "proper" punter in 30+ years.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

Yeah, it’s your basic fear of that which you have no knowledge or experience. Still, for a young theoretical musician to come into a bar and hassle an elder playing with a better than average cover act speaks poorly of the kid. Perhaps obviously he had no response to my assertion of his not currently being part a working act. Thanks fellas.

Comment

Usually, I had people with wide eyes complimenting how a trio with just a keyboard, guitar and a compact spdsx e-kit sounds like a full sized band (granted, the players were top class, and I used some very nice samples), or how a quintet playing a-z covers on a cruise ship can sound so 'live' using a v-drum... The only trash-talk, if that's the word, I heard from some envious colleagues... Typically, musicians can be conservative and vain, regardless of age. In my view, it comes down to gear obsession. Brand obsession. If no one could see what was used, no one would hassle you on stage. Have you ever had a serious sound guy trash talk your e-kit?
          °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
          °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
          °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Oh yes, don't let me mislead regarding my experiences performing with the Handsonic. I've had many compliments, as well as the wide-eyed wonder that my very high quality drum sounds are coming from a little saucer shaped device I'm playing with my hands like many "civilians" might a countertop. While I love my acoustics, by and large it's a gas mixing in appearances with the HPD-10 & 20,...and/or the SPD-30. It IS my position however that due to the Handsonic's radical departure from the "look" of drums, electronic or otherwise, AND the lack of sticks,...it affects folks a tad-bit differently.

While I've done my share of larger venues, they were always with mic'd acoustics. My current and previous bands wherein I used electronics were largely self contained (no add-on techs). While we DO have the occasional dude walking the floor with an iPad controlling our QSC Touchmix, they've never been negative regarding my on/off again use of any of my Roland gear.

Comment

Originally posted by daledrumz View Post
              He who was offended was, granted, a fairly intoxicated twenty something, also apparently a drummer.
              I'd chalk it up to youth and a belly full of beer. Unless he came on horseback and uses an outhouse, new technology and novel uses of existing instruments is a good thing for any self-respecting musician.

Comment

First thing I look at when I go to a venue is whether the drummer is using E-Drums, If he/she is, I go and strike up a conversation.....

I'm definitely not 20 something though....

Comment

so.. you were triggering acoustic drum sounds with your hands.. and wondering why a 20's drummer (lil drunk) didn't see this as 'real' drumming ?
                  well.. you weren't using sticks and making sounds that 'belong' to sticks .. on this forum everybody 'gets it' and understands it.. but in acoustic drumming
                  jam/ festival land.. no.. 'they' (young drummers) would probably look at it like this ..

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                    so.. you were triggering acoustic drum sounds with your hands.. and wondering why a 20's drummer (lil drunk) didn't see this as 'real' drumming ?
                    well.. you weren't using sticks and making sounds that 'belong' to sticks .. on this forum everybody 'gets it' and understands it.. but in acoustic drumming
                    jam/ festival land.. no.. 'they' (young drummers) would probably look at it like this ..
                    The young drummers use triggers and hybrid kits aplenty so I don't think that's the issue.

Comment

o no ? many drummers would say there was a division between people who use drumsticks and people who play with their hands
                      (some would even call them 'percussionist' ) if a percussionist was triggering say a ride cymbal sound or a snare rimshot with his hands,
                      i can imagine some people being surprised.. wouldn't you ? .. now would you like to buy a conversation or an argument ?

Comment

I’m old but just bought a TD-17cvx kit a few weeks ago with all the extras and absolutely love it, but only using the headphones, I would only do a gig using accustic. It’s possible i need to work on a different sound setup, but using an amp or a PA is no comparison. That guy still is an idiot.

Comment

Hi, I'm an old git and never got to play E's on stage but as far as I am concerned, if it sounds right, it is right.

Comment

I suppose it could be worse...
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TnQktmMZ_g
                            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Well its a new perspective on Head Banging.

Comment

Working...
                              X