How good our v-drums really sound?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good our v-drums really sound?

Going from playing triggered acoustics to playing full e-drums in the past decade+, I feel there's a fair bit of subjective attitude on how we rate our sound. For me this was counter-intuitive given that e-drums have a sort of 'produced' sound that should translate better across venues and sound systems compared to the acoustics.

I can say now that almost opposite is true. Getting a good e-drum sound requires near-pro level knowledge in sound design (however simple the module itself) even at home or using headphones. This fact makes me think that no matter how well intentioned some opinions or advices on this topic are, they should always be taken very loosely. Every single drum sound coming from any kind of module depends hugely on what is reproducing it and how it is reproduced.

Just wanted to share some thoughts, if anyone has any opinions on this, jump right in!
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Very astute... I think that it may be not be good reasoning to think that a "pre-packaged" sound isn't subject to the acoustics of a room or the potential shortcomings of a given sound system.
    Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
    Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

My point was more towards how biased we are in judging the sound quality or capabilities of some device. We form opinions based on some particular environment (like with any instrument) but often expect to hear the same thing in another... because it's some expensive v-drum or custom presets like vex it doesn't mean it will sound good due to the rest of the chain.

I'm just contemplating the recent moves in v-drums and how people react mostly with biased views (eg. Td50 vs. Mimic discussions), while not considering how much they actually hear the PA or a sound guy or their possibly crappy headphones.
      Last edited by MilosDrummer; 12-02-18, 05:17 PM.
      •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•

Comment

My edrums have always sounded great playing live over the decades from small London venues to the largest club on the planet. And I run in mono. Never has a single neg from a punter over squillions of years.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

I was watching a video on the FOH sound tech of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. His method is to EQ the system to each venue. He can pull up a mix from a previous show and almost be spot on with the previous mix settings each night. In the case of a lot of us,the system will vary a lot with the room acoustics. Most of the adjustments in my case are low end EQ ,and reverb or room sound on snare.

Comment

Not now using Roland stuff (2box now), but as a general statement in any case, I think the trick is always the same: if you want good sound live, you need to go for a decent PA, sit down your drums in the mix as any other instrument and tweak the desk to adapt to the specific environment. This is not different from even an acoustic set....I used to play with a TD12 in my past, and it is evident the samples on 2box are better than the ones in the old TD12, but out of headphones details, I can confirm on a live situation with the right adjustment those differences are not really notorious ( without having into consideration the number of beers in the audience).

so, if you want a good sound, have a look to the mix and the pa. Brain is for sure to help to improve, but another topic would be: how much you take for the unlimited possibilities out of our expensive hardware (no matter which brand...)?

enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by makoki View Post
              I can confirm on a live situation with the right adjustment those differences are not really notorious
              That is closer to what I was initaially saying. Also, our preferences in acoustics sound and the general brand affection dictate what we like in e-drums. I've made some recordings of Yamaha DTX900 and TD30 in similar conditions few years back. My preference was roland just cause I was never playing yammy before, and frankly found it hard to do what I was used doing on the roland... But the recording proved me wrong since DTX sounded different but still good (sure, I was dialing the sound to match TD30 as much as I could).

Originally posted by makoki View Post
              how much you take for the unlimited possibilities out of our expensive hardware (no matter which brand...)?

enjoy
              Also a great point, and not far from the topic at all!
              Last edited by MilosDrummer; 12-03-18, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Downside to v-drums for me is that sticks on plastic/rubber and metal clacking pedals sound pretty unmusical so you need to have great isolation on headphones and/or really crank the volume to obliterate that sound. Everything sounds better louder right? Once recorded though, it all sounds great. Still it would be nice if there was some wonder material that didn't have that problem so much.
                On the plus side, at least my cymbal hits sound better and my wimpy kicks aren't so much of a problem as they are on acoustic, but maybe those are beginner's problems ? Or I should find some better cymbals...

Comment

When I was playing gigs / touring, I always used acoustic sets. I'd tune my drums, & if I had to do it, make sure the mic placement was adequate. That's as technical as I got

So, coming from a non technical standpoint on electronic drums, from someone just playing with friends for fun, my kit sounds good

I understand many of you guys are playing professionally, recording and / or just striving for the absolute best sound you can squeeze out of them, & that's great, but my thing is, if it sounds like a tom, a snare, a bass & cymbals, I'm fine with it

Get the toms tuned in sync, have the snare sound similar to an actual snare & get the crappy rubber circles on cymbal stands to sound like something other than a rubber circle on a stand, and I'm good to go

It sounds like a drum set? OK, I'm done. Pop open some beers & lets play some tunes

Comment

Just my 2 cents but. I use edrums for 3 reasons A i want to record a great drum sound at home..... that aint happening with and acoustic kit. B i play too loud so for some venues i need an ekit to clam the volume.. C sometimes in a multi band set up and a strange venue we just simply have B grade techs so i can tune my edrums in on 2 channels and its almost idiot prof ( almost)As far as what we look for in a moduel i guess i and maybve most people want it to play like a real kit with everything that entails.. thats hard to get... and we want it to sound some like OUR idea of a good drum kit.. i guess thats why im trying to go mimic.. right now sound wise it seems to be the best in sounds right now... but again someone may have a different idea... I love this sight simply because i hate the tech side of edrums so these guys really just do a lot of the work for me and give me great starting points... I guess close your eyes and listen to each ekit you can find the one that sounds like YOU and enjoy..

Comment

Another 2c to say I don't think this is different e and a. If you are in a small venue where acoustic noise is an issue for the mix you need to mess round with playing with less dynamics, rods or some other sound attenuation on an acoustic set from your seat without being able to hear the room mix. If you are in a big enough venue to require pa on an a set you are dependent on the sound guy to get the house mix right.

I play most regularly in a medium sized church where we have sound folks with varying levels of skill. Being able now to give individual mic feeds or a simple l/r pair from the mimic means whatever their experience I can give them a feed they are happy to work with.

Comment

Ekit.jpeg
                        Originally posted by markfireprime View Post
                        Just my 2 cents but. I use edrums for 3 reasons
                        I could have/ would have written those reasons exactly as you did . The Ekit rocks and it's the centerpiece for our consistent mix. Everything runs thru the PA and no stage volume means everyone can hear the exact FOH mix in the monitors and play/sing accordingly.
                        Last edited by New Tricks; 12-05-18, 12:45 PM.

Comment

NewTricks, what mixer are you using on the left of your TD-30?

Comment

I like your 3-zones PD7/PD9 ... ride :P

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                              NewTricks, what mixer are you using on the left of your TD-30?
                              It's a QSC touch mix 16, if I'm not mistaken...

Comment

Working...
                              X