What to do with TD-4SX after getting the TD-17KVX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with TD-4SX after getting the TD-17KVX

I am new to drumming. I bought a TD-4SX (really really cheap) a couple of years ago and have learned a little bit through YouTube videos. I'm a singer and guitar player. I record and thought how cool it would be to play drums on one of my tracks. Not sure why I'm so drawn to drums, as I'm not that good. Anyway, so I recently had the opportunity to trade a couple of my guitars for a TD-17KVX set. Very excited to have this new set. This kit should last me the rest of my life, or by the time it stops working, I'll be too old to play it anyway.

I was planning to sell the TD-4SX, but I've seen people put sets together to expand their existing set. Considering that I'm new to drumming and don't know what I would use an extra crash or extra tom for I thought I should just sell the TD-4SX. I figure the TD-17KVX should be enough for me for a long while, but then I started thinking that maybe I'll get better and want an extra crash or more toms, I don't know.

So what should I do?
    Roland TD-17KVX ~ PercussionPlus 900H Hi-Hat Stand ~ Mapex P600 Kick Pedal ~ DW 5000 Tractor Throne

sell TD-4 rack, KD-8, FD-8 and two PDX-6, keep TD-4 module, CY-5, CY-8s and two PDX-8 if you want to add more crash/splash/ride/toms/snare ...

Comment

Someone offered this option
      • Sell the TD-4SX (with kick pedal, crown)
      • Sell one of the TD-17's PDX-8 pads
      • Buy a PDX-12 for ($200) to replace the PDX-8 as the floor tom.
      • Make the current ride cymbal a 3rd Crash.
      • Buy Roland CY15R ride ($360) cymbal arm ($85) + arm clamp ($13)

Cost $658 - proceeds from sale of TD-4SX and PDX-8
      Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-31-18, 12:47 PM.
      Roland TD-17KVX ~ PercussionPlus 900H Hi-Hat Stand ~ Mapex P600 Kick Pedal ~ DW 5000 Tractor Throne

Comment

buy a used PD-125 and use the current PDX-12 as floor tom maybe cheaper that way

Comment

What you do with extra cymbals and toms is hit them just like the rest of the drums. You donít need to be an expert to do that when I bought my first kit in 1979 within 6 months I had bought a set of 6 concert toms after watching Phil Collins with Genesis.
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonfly66 View Post
            This kit should last me the rest of my life,
            Lol - good luck with that! Once you're addicted to edrums there's always something new and improved coming along (albeit slowly).

G.A.S. is real and almost deserves a support group around here..

Pearl MIMIC Pro, Pearl Export ELX A2E Conversion, ATV Cymbals and Snare

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post

Lol - good luck with that! Once you're addicted to edrums there's always something new and improved coming along (albeit slowly).

G.A.S. is real and almost deserves a support group around here..
              I am familiar with GAS with all of my guitar and studio stuff. The amount of pedals and guitars and amps I have is a bit ridiculous. I must stop myself from going down the same road with drums. I'm older, 52, and so I feel everything now. I was messing around learning the drum riff from the beginning of Come Together and my arms, shoulders, and finger joints are telling me I did something different yesterday. Plus I was actually getting tired just from the little playing I did. I'm thinking I may not pursue drums as wilding as I have guitars. But damn the drums are fun! The TD-17 sounds so good too, makes me want to play. I need some real lessons though, I'm probably learning bad habits.
              Last edited by dragonfly66; 08-31-18, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I am familiar with GAS with all of my guitar and studio stuff. The amount of pedals and guitars and amps I have is a bit ridiculous. I must stop myself from going down the same road with drums. I'm older, 52, and so I feel everything now. I was messing around learning the drum riff from the beginning of Come Together and my arms, shoulders, and finger joints are telling me I did something different yesterday. Plus I was actually getting tired just from the little playing I did. I'm thinking I may not pursue drums as wilding as I have guitars. But damn the drums are fun! The TD-17 sounds so good too, makes me want to play. I need some real lessons though, I'm probably learning bad habits.
                Breaking on new muscles! Keep at it and it will pass. Research warm up exercises.

Comment

OK so I let me know if I've got this right:
                  • The TD17 uses regular TRS cables for trigger input?
                  • If I were to split one of the inputs I don't need a cable from drumsplitter, a regular Y cable will work?
                  • I know that the TD-17KVX only has one Aux input available.
                  • I can add a cymbal or pad and have the head/rim options.
                  • If I wanted to have an extra cymbal and pad I could split the Aux with a regular Y cable and have a single trigger crash and single trigger pad. I would not be able to play them both at the same time.
                  Is any or all of the above true?

Comment

So what I ended up doing was selling the TD-4SX in pieces. I'm keeping one of the CY-8 and one PDX-8 to add a tom and cymbal to the TD-17KVX. I figured I'd save some money and not buy the CY-15R and PD-125/PDX-12. At least not yet. If I can get the $295 I paid for the TD-4SX in the first place and I'll be good.

Though it has been said that the TD-17 uses regular Y cables, that is not true. I ordered a female drumsplitter.com cable and some more Roland cables and will end up splitting Tom1 and use the split with Tom1 and Tom2. I'll take the Tom2 input and use it for the extra PDX-8. I'll use the AUX to have a fully functional cymbal. I could split one more tom and add one more full working cymbal, but I'm not sure I have room on the rack.

UPDATE: The drumsplitter.com cable works perfectly.
                    Last edited by dragonfly66; 09-17-18, 06:06 PM.

Comment

OK so I let me know if I've got this right:

s any or all of the above true?
                      [*]The TD17 uses regular TRS cables for trigger input?

- False, it uses a cable snake.[*]If I were to split one of the inputs I don't need a cable from drumsplitter, a regular Y cable will work?

- A regular splitter will work[*]I know that the TD-17KVX only has one Aux input available.

- It has an Aux and a Crash 2 - Both operate the same and can be configured to trigger whatever you want.[*]I can add a cymbal or pad and have the head/rim options.

- Only in the Aux or Crash 2 ports. If you Split, the split results in two single zones[*]If I wanted to have an extra cymbal and pad I could split the Aux with a regular Y cable and have a single trigger crash and single trigger pad. I would not be able to play them both at the same time.

- I believe so, it should not be any different the the other inputs. The only thing you can not split is the three zone ride cables I believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X