X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About To Purchase My First E kit

Hi Guys,

A bit of background info.

I started playing drums in my teens. Had lessons been in a couple of bands with my friends (which was just a bit of fun, nothing serious). After a couple of years of lessons I began to start finding my own way although my tutor said if I needed anymore guidance, just give him a shout.

A couple of years passed and I found myself doing more of the important things so I did not have the time to commit to practicing.etc. Fast forward to today I am about to purchase my first E Kit and was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting back into the groove again? I am aware there are various online courses available such as drum-eo (poor computer spelling), but what works for one person, does not always work out for someone else.

I am sure this subject is not new. Thought I would start a new discussion on the topic and see what happens.

Thank you.
    WM

Welcome back to drumming!!!! I was in your same position a year and a half ago, and bought my first electronic kit. Best decision I ever made, but to start getting back into it, I did a lot of hand/ air drumming. Sounds dumb but it worked for me, drumming on my lap, on the steering wheel in my truck, and I did it to just get that muscle memory back. I also watched a lot of YouTube videos, drum fill video, rudiment videos, drum groove videos. I would definitely buy a practice pad, if you don't already have one, and start practicing your rudiments first. And then when you first get your e-kit, record yourself periodically, so you can hear your growth. I did a few recordings of myself and it's fun to hear how much better and confident you sound as you practice more. What kits are you looking at getting? And are you from Worcester MA?
    Roland TD-25KV, Extra Cymbal, VEX RECORDS, Drum-tec real feel heads. DW 9002 and DW 9500, Vater 5A and Vater Mike Johnston Signature Sticks, Roland RH-300V headphones..... 20 years of playing.... I still suck........

Comment

If I had to do it over again, I'd go straight to a A-E conversion kit and play normal sized drums. The whole rack mounted tiny pads didn't suit me.

Comment

jstevens66 I am based in the UK. What you say about practising rudiments and watching Youtube videos makes perfect sense. It is just having the motivation to do it. I already have the use of a practice pad and have got into a good habit of keeping this out, along with my sticks so when I'm bored, it's there. Practicing whilst watching tv helps too. I am currently working on: single stoke roll, flams, triplets, and the paradiddle. I discovered all of these rudiments via Vic Firth Youtube channel which are helping.

With regards to kits due to me being limited on space, I am looking at the Roland KPX2. I prefer a kit with Mesh over Rubber pads. More realistic. Going to demo one in a shop in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

My TD-25 kit fits in a small space, I have it on a 4' by 5' rug, how big of a space do you have for your kit?
          Roland TD-25KV, Extra Cymbal, VEX RECORDS, Drum-tec real feel heads. DW 9002 and DW 9500, Vater 5A and Vater Mike Johnston Signature Sticks, Roland RH-300V headphones..... 20 years of playing.... I still suck........

Comment

Working...
          X