Worst e kit you ever owned?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst e kit you ever owned?

Saw this on my local CL. Brought back memories. I figured lets have a fun & humour topic. I am coming to my 56th Bday therefore have owned many e kits (akits too) over the years, including Simmons SDS 7, 9 200 the 3 piece add on the pad with the chip eprom blower, Tama techstars, pearl DRX-1, Alesis DMpro, Roland TD5 6 8 9 10 11 30 50 Pearl MIMIC pro that I can recall .I have to say the one I thought sounded the worst was the Roland DDR30 hands down. I actually smashed through the presswood kick pad while playing live.
    Last edited by Bobvan; 06-14-18, 02:12 PM.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro. 2X PD125X 4X PD105X KD7 CY12 2X CY13 CY15 VH11 BT1 MDS-50K

Comment

went from original simmons pads to roland pd-31 .. and thought it was an upgrade ..

Comment

You do have to give Roland marketing it's props. According to the L&M manager Roland is the #1 drum seller in the world over quality A kits and all..Perhaps that is why DW is getting in the game..

Comment

Lol, I had the DDR30. Yup, worst one for me also

Comment

I've been playing e-drums since 1985, with my first kit being a Pearl DRX-1. By today's standards the module was extremely limited with no cymbal or percussion sounds, and nothing that would pass for an acoustic kit. Amazingly, the rubber pads have held up and I still use them today. In fact, the bass pad is still my favorite among all I've tried. My second module was an Alesis D4. It was light years ahead of the DRX-1 module but the cymbal sounds had such short decay that they couldn't be used in most situations. I've since moved on to a Roland TD-12 which is still giving me much satisfaction for practice at home.
            Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

I think the DRX-1 and Alesis D4 may have been the ones I am referring to. The Alesis had sound expansion cards.

Comment

Alesis D4, Remo practice pads with "reflexion" plates (anyone remember that website?), on/off pedal for hi hat control
                Pearl MIMIC Pro, Sonor A2E Conversion, ATV Cymbals and Snare

Comment

A6E9A5FD-7D0C-441C-A1E4-F1E5F60A1B53.jpeg

Alan

Comment

LMAO!

On the flip side my fave A kits have been Pearl BLX 2X DW collectors and Ludwig Superclassics (Ironically the Luddys are my fave toms in the MIMIC)
                    Last edited by Bobvan; 06-14-18, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobvan View Post
                      I think the DRX-1 and Alesis D4 may have been the ones I am referring to. The Alesis had sound expansion cards.
                      The D4 did not have an expansion card slot. However, the Alesis DM Pro (the successor to the D4 and DM5) had one. On paper, that looked to be a great module at the time but it took at least 3 years from the time it was introduced until it finally hit the market,. It was plagued with bugs and other quality control issues so I decided to move on from Alesis after getting rid of my D4.

Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Originally posted by Bobvan View Post

LMAO!
                        True story. I had one of those.
                        Alan

Comment

I got the original simmonds kit back in 1983. Cost me a fortune and was horrible to play. The shock on my hands was awful. It did get used a lot though in the studio. Definitely the worst.
                          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Did you have VEX kits for it?
                            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post

Did you have VEX kits for it?
                              That made me laugh..

Comment

Working...
                              X