TD-50 Expansion vs. ATV / Mimic...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unsaltedmd5
    started a topic TD-50 Expansion vs. ATV / Mimic...

TD-50 Expansion vs. ATV / Mimic...

Crippling indecision here. I currently have a TD-11 A2E/Hybrid and I want to replace my L80 cymbals with some proper e-cymbals. I can't decide whether to grab the TD-50 expansion kit or pick up the ATV hats/ride and (eventually) a Mimic Pro.

Here's what I'm thinking:

TD-50 Pros:
    - Digital snare - this seems like a big deal to me. Proper cross stick detection, no hotspotting, positional sensing, great expressiveness... this is probably the main thing drawing me to the TD-50.
    - Digital ride - by all accounts this is a better pad overall than the ATV equivalent.
    - Versatile module - lots of capability for producing interesting sounds, not necessarily limited to traditional acoustic sounds.
    - I can go and test it for myself before buying

TD-50 Cons:
    - Relatively poor "acoustic" sounds
    - Pads tie me in to the module
    - Large up-front cost (expansion kit plus a hi-hat of some kind - no half measures here)

ATV/Mimic Pros:
    - 14" hi-hat - Could have this with the Roland kit but the superficial side of me doesn't want to mix and match cymbals so I'd probably end up with a VH-13 instead.
    - Not tied to module - This means I could, e.g. just buy the cymbals for now and upgrade from the TD-11 later. Not getting locked into hardware.

ATV/Mimic Cons:
    - No digital snare - this makes me very sad. I could get the ATV snare but it would bump the overall cost considerably above the cost for the Roland route. I would probably stick with a RT-10 or something on my acoustic snare instead.
    - Higher overall cost.

Think that mostly covers it... has anyone compared these setups and can offer any opinions? I'm not even sure what I'm expecting from this thread but... gah!

• VeritasAequitas
    replied
    Originally posted by mswagerman View Post

You combine the two modules like I do? I use the cymbals (9x) and percussion from the ad5 and the rest (snare, kick, toms 3up 2down and side snare) from the PMP. I only find the VH-12 works better with the PMP. On the ad5 it's hard work getting the hi-hats tot do what I want...
    No,

I meant I use ATV drums and a Pearl Mimic. I tried the ATV module and it was far too dry for me. I guess I like somewhere between processed and acoustic. Studio quality I guess.

Leave a comment:

• jammin777
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Position sensing this is the first things disappears on music\ mix and live it's useless. What is more important live and recording are machine gunning\ repeated sample artifact on modules, are amplified live or focused in recording with limited tone\ expression.
    yes that is true hence is another reason positional sensing doesn't matter to me.

Leave a comment:

• mswagerman
    replied
    Originally posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
    Big fan of the ATV + Mimic!
    You combine the two modules like I do? I use the cymbals (9x) and percussion from the ad5 and the rest (snare, kick, toms 3up 2down and side snare) from the PMP. I only find the VH-12 works better with the PMP. On the ad5 it's hard work getting the hi-hats tot do what I want...

Leave a comment:

• VeritasAequitas
    replied
    Big fan of the ATV + Mimic!

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    Originally posted by jammin777 View Post

with positional sensing it depends on the person
    Position sensing this is the first things disappears on music\ mix and live it's useless. What is more important live and recording are machine gunning\ repeated sample artifact on modules, are amplified live or focused in recording with limited tone\ expression.
    Last edited by Chris K; 06-24-18, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Thats only because default mimic preset are raw without any processing, while default td50 are highly processed added to synthetic sound. Mimic can cut mix easly as any module, there is plenty of people done show with mimic without any problems with mix, individual out, FOH etc..
    I find the exact opposite to chance27 after editing the Mimic and TD50. The Mimic cuts through better because of the clean upper mids and top end. If you boost that much top end on a TD50 it will sound very harsh.
    The first thing I do on the Mimic for PA's is lower the room sound on low pitched instruments and hi hat. Then I cut sustain on the kicks and add EQ and compression. It really punches through the mix.

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
    When I had the Mimic and TD-50 my guitarist and bassist preferred the TD-50 as it seemed to cut better in the live mix. But when I had them listing to the modules through headphones, the Mimic Pro was the winner.
    Thais only because default mimic preset are raw without any processing, while default td50 are highly processed added to synthetic sound. Mimic can cut mix easily as any module, there is plenty of people done show with mimic without any problems with mix, individual out, FOH etc..
    Last edited by Chris K; 06-24-18, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• unsaltedmd5
    replied
    So... tried a TD-50KV in-store and wasn't really blown away. Granted, I have no idea how it was configured and all the pads were pretty well worn but I didn't get the impression that the digital ride and snare were leaps and bounds ahead of anything else. I did get a nice buzz roll out of the snare and the muting on the ride is neat, but probably not enough to invest that kind of money and tie myself into Roland just for those features.

So I'm leaning towards a DIY snare for now and the ATV cymbals.

I'm wondering how the TD-11 would cope with the ATV hi-hat though...

Leave a comment:

• Camst648
    replied
    There are a good few downloadable tweeks that make the sounds of the TD50 module into something very good. at least to my ears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4N9dfLXTOg . the 18" digital ride is AMAZING to play, I tried it. The digital snare is great with a really good mesh head.
    The Mimic Pro is very good in sounding like real acoustic drums, unfortunately, I cant live with the touchscreen interface so I have had to go for the TD50.

Either way, no matter what of the two modules that one have, one have one of the two best one's on the market at the moment. The pro's and con's will never be agreed upon by all so it is really not so important on these modules. You make your choice and live with it.
    Last edited by Camst648; 06-19-18, 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot to ad link

Leave a comment:

• jammin777
    replied
    Originally posted by Piloute View Post

So, what esle ???

I'am always leaving with a TD20 with Vexpression kit. (damned)..i'm really fed up with Roland sounds and thinking about moving to th Mimic. But i have 2 questions :

1) Is it really bothering not having positionnnal sensing compare to Roland ? is the sound always the same whatever the place you strike the snare ?
    2) Is it possible to upload other sounds on the Mimic like SD3 or Ezdrummer?

Thanks for your answers

Philippe
    with positional sensing it depends on the person, as for me i had a td30 with positional sensing, to me the better sounds of the mimic arouses me more than positional sensing.
    for now you can load one shot samples to the mimic, but in the near future, there will be a multi layer editor released to enable you to load, edit and record multi layer samples.

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    Originally posted by molson View Post
    Speaking of positional sensing - anyone know when the Roland patent runs out?
    in 2019...that is not to far, in fact ALL previous oldest Roland patents will get expired, but not all same dates.
    Last edited by Chris K; 06-13-18, 11:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bobvan
    replied
    I prefer the smaller lighter MIMIC module and more compact e kit with 12" snare and Cy 15

Edit the more I play these the more I amazed at the sound quality..
    Last edited by Bobvan; 06-13-18, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chance27
    replied
    Putting VST sounds aside for a moment, the Roland TD-50 is probably the most complete e-kit out on the market right now. The digital ride and snare with positional sensing really make the kit shine and the most realistic to play. I have had the Mimic Pro and the ATV aD5 with aDrums and after playing with all three kits for over 4 months I stuck with the Roland TD-50. It is a work horse kit, easy to configure and adjust sounds, and the pads and hardware are solid and reliable. For me, the TD-50 is the most enjoyable kit to play right now.

If I need full VST sounds I just fire up Superior Drummer 3. The TD-50 works really well with SD3. So well that I don't see the Mimic having that big advantage over it. Also, I prefer the sounds of SD3 to SSD. Also the VEX packs for the TD-50 will give you some nice sounding kits.

Personally I don't think VST sounds make that big of difference when playing live compared to a TD-50. All those over tones and nuances of the VST sounds get lost in a live mix. When I had the Mimic and TD-50 my guitarist and bassist preferred the TD-50 as it seemed to cut better in the live mix. But when I had them listing to the modules through headphones, the Mimic Pro was the winner.

No matter what you pick the Mimic Pro and the TD-50 are both excellent modules.

Leave a comment:

• Bobvan
    replied
    For me the biggest benefit is due to the sound engine being different I can play without flaring up my Tinnitus as bad and when I plugged the 50's back in after a few days of trying out the MIMIC it was obvious to me that I preferred the MIMIC sounds which are still out of the box over my tweaked 50's acoustic kits. The only critique I would give the MIMIC is the tom sounds do get repetitive
    Last edited by Bobvan; 06-13-18, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X