Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

The Lounge is for general e-drumming discussion only. Please do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

I'd like to talk about Hi-Hats!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which module?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
      Which module?
      ATV aD5
      ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

skhan007,

I don't have the ATV hats and module, but your issue almost sounds like a software bug - exceeding the maximum close value and consequently the software defaults (wraps around or treats outlying values) as the open sound. Just a WAG hypothesis. WAG = Wild Assed Guess. I may be hugely off base, but if not, your idea of limiting the flex in the hats might filter out extreme values of the sensor and solve your problem. It is odd though, you'd think the calibration routine would account for this and map those values accordingly. Try repeating the calibration, only this time, for the close value, step on the hats hard, to simulate extreme close values. Maybe that will help.
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 04-18-18, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I have the ATV hats and aD5 but don't have this issue. I did press down fairly hard when calibrating...
          Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

They also worked really well at NAMM so it must be calibration.

Comment

Thanks guys- I'm going to try the calibration thing again. I corresponded with Scott at ATV, who is always very helpful. I'm going to take a video of the calibration screen to see if I'm doing anything wrong. I bet I am, but I don't know what.

My other important noteworthy point- When I reach the zero-point (set close demarcation) and go even a bit harder on the hi-hat pedal, so the indicator is below "set close", that's when it starts to sound open again. As Tang pointed out, it's likely reading that as some sort of outlier. I can see the clutch starting to sink slightly into the top of the cymbal when this happens. I think I might put a metal washer on there to see if I can prevent the clutch from moving in the closed hi-hat position. Hope that makes sense.
              ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

Hi Guys- Hi-hat set up problem is solved! I had a conference call with both Scott Hunter and Mike Snyder at ATV this afternoon. They talked me through some adjustments I needed to make on my clutch, then talked me through redoing the set up parameters on my aD5.

I must tell you all, I've never had such STELLAR customer service from any gear-related manufacturer in all my years. These guys are so quick to respond and helpful, by talking me through all this. As a dumb guitarist, who's never owned a real drum kit, I feel fully confident with this product and the support team.

Comment

Originally posted by skhan007 View Post
                  Hi Guys- Hi-hat set up problem is solved! I had a conference call with both Scott Hunter and Mike Snyder at ATV this afternoon. They talked me through some adjustments I needed to make on my clutch, then talked me through redoing the set up parameters on my aD5.

I must tell you all, I've never had such STELLAR customer service from any gear-related manufacturer in all my years. These guys are so quick to respond and helpful, by talking me through all this. As a dumb guitarist, who's never owned a real drum kit, I feel fully confident with this product and the support team.
                  Hello Skhan, glad you had success with CSV. Can you give the specifics on the calibration and setting given to you from ATV?

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post

Hello Skhan, glad you had success with CSV. Can you give the specifics on the calibration and setting given to you from ATV?
                    Yes- The clutch should be sequenced from the top down as thumb screw/thumb screw/felt/cymbal/felt/pedestal. That was the first thing I needed to correct. Next, have the hi hat set to be open 0.5- 1.0 inches. In the trigger screen for HH, toggle away from ATV to another brand then back to ATV. This will reset parameters. Lastly, go to the second to last screen to set the “set close” parameter. After these steps, I no longer had the issue I noted in my other post. Man, I LOVE this hi-hat. It was so worth the purchase.

Comment

Great to hear that they helped you out!
                      Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Hey guys, I am new to the group. I have been trying to figure out what to do with hi-hats. I've done an e-conversion of a Pearl Roadshow kit with Remo Silentstrokes, ddrum Red Shot's, Roland CY-8's and a CY-15R. I have an acoustic kit and this is my first foray into owning an electronic kit, let alone doing a conversion. I purchased a used Alesis Nitro module initially and now have an Alesis Strike. I purchased the Alesis Pro X hats because of the two cymbal look and the fact that they would mount on my existing hi-hat stand. They worked ok with the Nitro module (I had some issues with my headphones/volume) but they didn't respond well with the Strike. On top of that, the top cymbal stopped responding after about 3 weeks with very light playing time. I've returned these to Amazon and decided to go with the goEdrum GH6. I contacted goEdrum and they said they weren't sure of the compatibility with the Strike module as it has never been tested. It seems odd to me that they haven't tested compatibility with these modules. Has anyone else had an experience with the Pro X hats? Anyone know about the GH6?

Comment

Originally posted by Karnage84 View Post
                          Hey guys, I am new to the group. I have been trying to figure out what to do with hi-hats. I've done an e-conversion of a Pearl Roadshow kit with Remo Silentstrokes, ddrum Red Shot's, Roland CY-8's and a CY-15R. I have an acoustic kit and this is my first foray into owning an electronic kit, let alone doing a conversion. I purchased a used Alesis Nitro module initially and now have an Alesis Strike. I purchased the Alesis Pro X hats because of the two cymbal look and the fact that they would mount on my existing hi-hat stand. They worked ok with the Nitro module (I had some issues with my headphones/volume) but they didn't respond well with the Strike. On top of that, the top cymbal stopped responding after about 3 weeks with very light playing time. I've returned these to Amazon and decided to go with the goEdrum GH6. I contacted goEdrum and they said they weren't sure of the compatibility with the Strike module as it has never been tested. It seems odd to me that they haven't tested compatibility with these modules. Has anyone else had an experience with the Pro X hats? Anyone know about the GH6?
                          The GH6 emulates a Roland VH-11 hi-hat...but I don’t know what the story is for VH11 on Strike Pro. Some on the Alesis forums claims it works...but some have problems.

anders / www.zourman.com
                          Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Good morning my fellow V-Drummers, I am a new to V-Drum Forum. I joined immediately apon the discovery.
                            All Great info! I myself agree with the majority.
                            I found though that they’re for myself, a few benefits to my likings.
                            1, The feeling of the two Cymbals flopping together when opening and closing.
                            2, The pitch change of the hats when putting more or less pressure on pedal of HH stand.
                            I hope this helps someone!
                            MaGagné

Comment

Working...
                            X