Roland is due for New Cymbal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland is due for New Cymbal!

I think Roland will release a new analog CY line with new size splash, ride, hihat 14" etc..The reason is all their cymbal are old and they will need to update their kits at some point, another hint, 2 store reveled to me td50 sales compare to td30 release at the same period is 4x less, maybe the usb things is not that appealing for people with the price, especially not when people a forced to buy their module.

Another point with analog, new option and module keeping increased on that direction to fill people need at lower price gap.

How Roland will make it? Its unknown, but clearly market changed now compare to 10 years and all older patents are about be expired.

Place your bet.
    Last edited by Chris K; 03-13-18, 04:07 PM.

The only reason to make a new line of cymbals would be to increase prices to make the usb prices more appealing. Sure, a size increase would do just that.
    It sounds like a Roland type of thing to do. Increase profits, increase profits same thing only different look maybe with less function.
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
      The only reason to make a new line of cymbals would be to increase prices to make the usb prices more appealing. Sure, a size increase would do just that.
      It sounds like a Roland type of thing to do. Increase profits, increase profits same thing only different look maybe with less function.
      How about Trump line cymbal in that case, size and pocket increased right away.
      Last edited by Chris K; 03-12-18, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I would like to see them make a proper gold colour compound rubber / silicone that sparkles. One that doesn't fade in the sun, or discolour with stick marks to much would be a bonus too.

Definitely need to match ATV's china though, and an analogue CY-18R wouldn't go amiss.

The CY5 is already the ultimate splash cymbal imo.
        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
        Community Drum Module Document
        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

I think that experience has shown that the age of the current line is no indicator of Roland's future plans.
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
            I think that experience has shown that the age of the current line is no indicator of Roland's future plans.
            I think allanjohn nailed it. Plus, in terms of "Roland is due for..." notions, in the V-Drum line, they're due for new *EVERYTHING*. Regarding the hypothesis that Roland is selling fewer TD-50 kits than comparable TD-30 kits at launch, perhaps this is true. Roland has never lowered flagship prices so my own hypothesis (confirmed by Roland dealers) is Roland uses the flagship kits to drive sales of the lesser kits. Customers see the flagship kits and are wowed yet cannot afford them, so they look at lower end kits, and this is where Roland gets the majority of V-Drum sales. This strategy must work because Roland keeps doing it. I mean, otherwise, why make a kit (like TD-50) that few will buy? Sure, a small segment of the market may buy these kits, but a much larger majority are priced out of that market, and Roland must know this. My understanding is the flagship kits are essentially technology showcases, not kits intended to sell in large quantity.
            Last edited by TangTheHump; 03-14-18, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I agree with Tang and AllanJohn...and if Roland's flagships are supposed to be "technology showcases" then they're falling flat on that as well, so much has changed over the past few years it's mind boggling.
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Good thread all.

I am new to vDrums and whilst I do like Roland's offerings, I do long for them to have some meaningful competition...again.

They clearly control the market at this point in time which is why I will as I build on my TD-15KV, add Drum-tec gear and play with other brands with an aim to keep the minor players in the game and innovating for us all where Roland chooses not to.

With forums like this, 65Drums & Vdrums tips on YouTube all offering great food for thought the future seems bright.

Roland TD-15KV, DW5000 single pedal/hi-hat stand & dreams of a Roland digital snare & ride in time...maybe!

Comment

80'sDrumTragic,

80'sDrumTragic wrote:
                  I am new to vDrums and whilst I do like Roland's offerings, I do long for them to have some meaningful competition... again. They clearly control the market at this point in time, which is why I will, as I build on my TD-15KV, add Drum-tec gear and play with other brands with an aim to keep the minor players in the game and innovating for us all where Roland chooses not to.
                  For me, this is a big problem in the e-drum space. The two biggest manufacturers (Roland and Yamaha) offer nothing I'm interested in. At the low end, the performance of their stuff is below minimal acceptability. At the high end, their stuff is too expensive and still underperforms. So for me, the only e-drum companies I'm watching (currently) are the smaller players, which introduces another set of problems because these companies don't have the distribution and support of the larger ones. For example, of the three modules I might consider, none of them are available to demo at my local music shops.

Comment

Unfortunately do not expect any new Roland CY cymbal crash\ride for analog, I had discussion with MS, and there is no plan for the cost development, they don't sell much as individual very low, and will not fit with med and lower range kits\ size and will increase too much price, it look like, Roland will continue their path for long time, price pretty much fixed and will increase slowly overs pattern of 5 years gap..
                    Last edited by Chris K; 04-03-18, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Chris K,

Chris K wrote:
                      Unfortunately do not expect any new Roland CY cymbal crash \ ride for analog, I had discussion with MS, and there is no plan for the cost development, they don't sell much as individual very low, and will not fit with med and lower range kits \ size and will increase too much price, it look like, Roland will continue their path for long time, price pretty much fixed and will increase slowly overs pattern of 5 years gap.
                      This shouldn't be a surprise to Roland. Individual cymbals priced at $500 USD and up aren't attractive, especially to customers who can barely afford the lower priced kits. At CY cymbal prices, one cymbal takes up half the budget for the kit. And yes, as you pointed out, Roland's insistence on producing kits with toy-like sizes makes the larger cymbals aesthetically out of place. The irony is the larger CY cymbals are also toy-like because the sizes are still ridiculously small. If Roland made a 22 inch ride, 14 inch hats, 14 inch snare drum, 12 inch rack tom, and 14 and 16 inch floor toms, all analog compatible and each item priced around $100 USD, these would fly off the shelves.

Chris K wrote:
                      ...I had discussion with MS (snip)
                      Who is MS?

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                        C

Who is MS?
                        Mike Synder, Michael Schack, MySelf??

. digitalDrummer
                        Review index

Comment

Michael Schack
                          Last edited by Chris K; 04-04-18, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                            This shouldn't be a surprise to Roland. Individual cymbals priced at $500 USD and up aren't attractive, especially to customers who can barely afford the lower priced kits. At CY cymbal prices, one cymbal takes up half the budget for the kit. And yes, as you pointed out, Roland's insistence on producing kits with toy-like sizes makes the larger cymbals aesthetically out of place. The irony is the larger CY cymbals are also toy-like because the sizes are still ridiculously small. If Roland made a 22 inch ride, 14 inch hats, 14 inch snare drum, 12 inch rack tom, and 14 and 16 inch floor toms, all analog compatible and each item priced around $100 USD, these would fly off the shelves.
                            One things no one is able to know, Roland know the world market and demand, and that is the huge advantage they got, if they continue this path it's means they fill the majority of the need and sales, the rest are not worth to do vs cost development, the spd mini pad is another example, for many it look like useless, but there is a reason why they done it, same as the tm6, lots of demand.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 04-04-18, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                              2 store reveled to me td50 sales compare to td30 release at the same period is 4x less
                              is there not 4x the competition now at the high end compared to when the TD-30 launched? in and of itself this is meaningless. the mid range is where roland is bleeding worse right now. if anything happens i'd expect it to happen in the lower mid range where alesis is currently stomping roland.
                              TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Working...
                              X