Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

The Lounge is for general e-drumming discussion only. Please do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Snobbery towards electronic drums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my e-kit in a pop/rock covers band so it's pretty much in its element there - I need a versatile array of sounds and to be able to scale the volume to the venue whilst performing with the same level of energy every time, no matter the sound levels leaving the speakers.

​​​​​​One of the nicest things I've heard said about my kit was tonight at an outdoor festival we just played. During soundcheck, they checked my kit for about 20 seconds and went, "Well, that sounds great already. Bass please." It's nice to be able to hit a consistent sound no matter what without battling with worn heads, tuning or different sound engineers and equipment.

Comment

If ever, I'd be the one in the snobbery side: wherever I take my e-kit it gets instantly inspected by a crowd of staff and other musicians as if it were some kind of alien space ship or an ultra sophisticated piece of hi-tech, while I just stand there watching, then soundcheck starts and everybody's mind gets blown away... how satisfactory!

Comment

I don't really care what other people think of my e-kit. I bought it for me, I play it for me, eventually I may gig with it for me. Their opinions don't pay my bills, so they are worth nothing.
        Alesis Strike with DIY A to E Pearl snare, Alesis Surge (smart trigger) 16" ride (as a dual zone chokable crash), and an Alesis Surge 12" hihat as a single zone crash.

Comment

Ironman, that is the truth. My drums and who cares what THEY Think. Whoever they are

Comment

Snobbery, mostly no. Guitar players are the only musicians I've had make comments about not being "real drums". They got schooled pretty quickly.

I gig weekly with my e's but up until recently, I used a 22" acoustic kick triggered. Then I started using my KD140. All of the sudden, I'm getting asked, hey are those new drums? Answer, no, just a different bass drum. Didn't matter that all the toms are 4" deep or the cymbals are plastic/rubber... I changed one thing that made the biggest visual impact and all of the sudden, they're different.

Most ppl visually have no clue if they're acoustic or electronic. I have had some strange looks while playing triangle sounds on a tom though! I've also had FOH engineers say how awesome they sounded and made their life way easier mixing.
            Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

Well Folks, after reading this forum thread I've found a world of people that simply love to play. I turned 56 this last Tuesday the 14th. I too started on acoustic drums back in the early 70's and have played everything from Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country and Progressive Rock. I started with a simple 5 piece I bought with my paper route job in my teens. I eventually upgraded to a 12 piece Misty Chrome Tama Double Kick with red & black Paiste Colorsound cymbals. It was a blast to play and used it for every band till the late 90's. When Roland 1st came out with the TD-10 with mesh pads instead of rubber I would go to the music store to jam on them in envy because they sounded pretty dang great for electronic drums. I couldn't afford the set so I made it my goal to piece together my own kit buying used pieces. If you read my bio now you can see I completed the goal 20 years later.

I enjoy playing the best Roland has to offer now ( due to having a great career ) and have no regrets making the transformation to only playing V-Drums. No more tuning issues, snare buzz on certain tom frequencies and always having to play really loud. I play in two bands now and everyone loves the sound and the ability to change kits to fit every genre. Playing with a click track and all instruments though my mixer gives me the ability to wear good quality ear monitors and enjoy a great mix.

All that being said.... I don't give a flip what anyone thinks about electronic drums or me, myself & I.

Thanks!
              Looking forward to the forum! Roland TD-50 Upgrade added to a custom TD-20x set. 3 105x ride toms, 2 125x floors, KD-A22 on a modified bass drum. New 14 in snare, 18 in ride, 2 CY-15's, 2 CY-14's, 1 CY-12, and VH-12 Hats. All on a gloss black steel rack with the black metal T Clamps!

Comment

we have something in common, i had a paper route back in the 70's to buy my first kit.
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by Maranares View Post
                  Hi all,

"man get a real drumset and then we'll talk".
                  Sorry, but the guy has a point. It is the exact same reason Jimi Hendrix threw away his Stratocaster and made his career with with a Martin Dreadnaught. You simply HAVE to have your sound come from the instrument itself.

Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Yea Ginger that's my thoughts on it too mate.

Comment

I got my first TD-4 SX set a year and half ago and didn't play that much, but a couple months ago I traded a two guitars for a used new TD-17. I'm crazy about drums now. I actually want an acoustic set, LOL. I won't get one because I don't have room in my home. I had a fear that if I only played on electronic drums that I would not be able to translate to an acoustic set. I sat down at my band's drummer's 4-piece and it was so loud and I felt intimidated because nothing I played sounded like what I played on my e-drums. I am truly a beginner, no lessons just some things I've seen on YouTube. I sold some of the TD-4 pieces and one gentleman I met told me to at least get a snare drum so I could feel a real drum and practice technique (dynamics?) on it.

During the day I'm a guitar player and guitar players are this way about Tube amps and modelers. I have some nice boutique and vintage amps, but I gig with an Atomic Amplifire 6 modeler pedal that plugs right into the PA. It sounds great and it sounds the same regardless of the weather. It is easy to take down my entire output with one knob. During setup I plug in the power, one guitar output and I'm done. The other guitar player in my band must have a tube amp.
                      Roland TD-17KVX ~ Gretsch Renown 10/12/14/20 ~ Gretsch USA Bronze Snare ~ Zildjian A

Comment

I will admit that the snobbery is an instinct that comes naturally. When an E kit was first suggested to me, I automatically replied "Blasphemy!"

A week later I picked up a cheap used TD6 to try out and I was hooked. That was probably 7 years ago and I doubt I will ever play an A kit again unless its a backline somewhere.

Comment

7:30 in says it all

Comment

What I wouldn’t want is someone telling me I should be playing an ekit which I have had suggested at church. I here of quite a few on here where the band seems to dictate what type of drums they play. You don’t get that with other instruments! I have played small gigs with a handsonic, an spd8 and ddrum4 in the past and I wouldn’t want someone telling me I shouldn’t play them either.

i choose to play acoustic drums live at present but that’s my choice. If I go edrum s again then that is my choice.
                            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

The volume aspect has been brought up in favor of ekits, but I think it's worth mentioning it again because acoustic drums and cymbals are loud. Very loud. From anecdotal experience, the people I've met who played drums in high school and college didn't seem to wear hearing protection at all. The fact that you can adjust the volume to a safe level on an ekit is a big benefit that shouldn't be overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by demonocus View Post
                                7:30 in says it all
                                Balderdash. If you practice good technique and incorporate the fundamentals with your regular routine it can only make you a better drummer. On e drums or Sovereign coffee cans for that matter. That said I wouldn't jump right on an acoustic kit after three years of playing only an e kit and record at a studio. Give me a few days.

Also playing in a studio environment, as one does in headphones on an e kit, gives you an opportunity to really hear the chick in your high hat and the more subtle sounds that often get lost in playing a loud acoustic kit. So one can be potentially be better suited to a studio environment and play with more subtlety when practicing on e drums.

If you muscle out every hit and don't rely on rebound you will be plenty strong and may find yourself light years ahead of the occasionally practicing (because of the noise) drummer with only an acoustic kit. Bless those who can practice regularly on an acoustic.

I wouldn't let this guy give me advice on anything actually, least of all drumming. Holy cr*p. How did you make it till 7:30?
                                Last edited by Howstamychi; 02-03-19, 03:09 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                                X