Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took a long hiatus from drumming - back with some questions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a long hiatus from drumming - back with some questions!

Hey everyone!
    No idea if this is the right section or not, but:

I was active on these forums a couple of years back. Had my own A2E kit aswell and all that jazz. Unfortunately I had a brain aneurysm about 3 years ago so I ended up taking some time off from drumming until I was fully recovered. Although, being unable to work or play drums I ended up selling my kit. But now I feel like it's time to get back into drumming again and I have some questions for you guys since I haven't kept tabs on what's new for the last couple of years.

So I'm currently looking for a new kit that suits my needs. Since the aneurysm rendered my hand-eye-coordination rather sub-par I'm looking for something with larger pads than most intermediate kits still seem to have. I have seen some used 2box-kits going up for sale here in Sweden and they certainly look like they would be a nice fit. Although the kit looks like it takes up quite alot of space.

I have also noticed the Alesis Strike kits, and those pads sure do look sweet. And they have those sensitivity knobs on the sides that I think could be something very nice to have. But can I use these pads AND have the knob-feature with other modules than the Strike module?

Basically I'm thinking about trying to score a TD-9 or TD-11, get a MDS4V rack, or maybe save up for a Gibraltar Stealth E-drum Rack since I have limited floorspace. And then slowly switch out all the pads for Alesis Strike ones or 2box pads.

Would this approach be "viable" so to say? Or is there some other products out there that would suit my needs? I'm more or less looking to have a e-drum version of a kit in the same size as the Pearl Rhytm Traveler.

PS: merry christmas a few days late and a happy new year a few days early!
    Last edited by M.Schwartz; 12-27-17, 04:06 PM.

Welcome back. I just bought a Pearl midtown to trigger with internal side mounts from Jman from Stealth drums.com and I am using it with 2 box and I love it. The other kits in that bracket for size are Ludwig breakbeats, Sonor Safari or if you want smaller yet, Sonor Martini. Unless you just want to buy some e pads with built in triggers

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
      Welcome back. I just bought a Pearl midtown to trigger with internal side mounts from Jman from Stealth drums.com and I am using it with 2 box and I love it. The other kits in that bracket for size are Ludwig breakbeats, Sonor Safari or if you want smaller yet, Sonor Martini. Unless you just want to buy some e pads with built in triggers
      Yeah I have been looking at the Pearl Midtown aswell as PDP New Yorker and Breakbeats. Although I'm not sure if I'm quite up to the task of doing another A2E conversion tbh. Getting a compact v-drum rack, a good mid-level module and then some Alesis Strike pads if that knob-thingy works with other modules seems more and more my speed right now. Since I know that that way I'll have a functioning kit basically at all times and I won't have to order the triggers from some other country, mount them somewhere and then try to get them to work like I want them to and all that.

Had great fun doing my A2E conversion a couple of years ago. But I don't have the energy for that anymore, sadly.

Comment

Welcome back! I think there are a TON of options available to you. Your post seemed to focus on pad size and kit footprint. You can make any rack almost fit your required footprint or use individual stands to give your kit a smaller footprint. Since you're not gigging or recording then perhaps you're not as concerned with what the drums actually sound like (drum module sounds not sounding like real acoustic drums). If that's the case then any module will work pretty much for your needs, although only a couple/few companies like Roland make larger drum pad sizes. You could also DIY with 14 inch rack toms converted to electronic to get all the larger pad sizes, or even bigger. Of course this will dictate your kit footprint as well depending on how spaced out your shells are.

Good used deals abound as far as modules if you're trying to save money. Things to keep in mind with modules:
        Not all have the same number of stereo inputs
        Not all have midi out
        Not all have same latency when using VSTs
        Not all have good sounding drum sounds

Not sure if you're gonna start recording at some point but wanted you to keep the above in mind when making your purchases.

Keep us apprised of your progress!

K
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
          Welcome back! I think there are a TON of options available to you. Your post seemed to focus on pad size and kit footprint. You can make any rack almost fit your required footprint or use individual stands to give your kit a smaller footprint. Since you're not gigging or recording then perhaps you're not as concerned with what the drums actually sound like (drum module sounds not sounding like real acoustic drums). If that's the case then any module will work pretty much for your needs, although only a couple/few companies like Roland make larger drum pad sizes. You could also DIY with 14 inch rack toms converted to electronic to get all the larger pad sizes, or even bigger. Of course this will dictate your kit footprint as well depending on how spaced out your shells are.

Good used deals abound as far as modules if you're trying to save money. Things to keep in mind with modules:
          Not all have the same number of stereo inputs
          Not all have midi out
          Not all have same latency when using VSTs
          Not all have good sounding drum sounds

Not sure if you're gonna start recording at some point but wanted you to keep the above in mind when making your purchases.

Keep us apprised of your progress!

K
          Yeah exactly, I'm thinking about maybe getting a TD-9 or TD-11 input, mount it on a MDS4V rack and then get some 2box or Alesis pads since, compared to Roland pads, they won't cost me an arm and my firstborn child.

Although the modules I mentioned feels kinda risky aswell since they use that cable-snake connection. Is there any kind of statistic on how often something with these go wrong? I would feel alot safer getting a module that have individual inputs for each pad. Although modules like the TD-3 or Yamaha DTX500 are a bit under the level of sound quality I want. And the Yamaha 502 can't be found anywhere around here.

Do you have any information of those Alesis Strike pads would work fine with other modules and still have the feature with the knobs working correctly?
          If they do then they are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I could maybe get a cheap random Roland module, use my laptop for a VST, some compact rack and then the Alesis pads.
          If that feature on the Alesis pads doesn't work on other modules then I could go with 2box pads or something since they cost a bit less and seem to be very nice to play on and have a low acoustic noise level.

Comment

Check out the Canadian company Laurin drums . His pads are reasonably priced and trigger with Roland and 2 box modules. He offers 10, 12 either fir rack or stand mounting, and 12 and 16 inch kicks
            Last edited by hemiboy; 12-27-17, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Check out the Canadian company Laurin drums . His pads are reasonably priced and trigger with Roland and 2 box modules. He offers 10, 12 either fir rack or stand mounting, and 12 and 16 inch kicks
              Wow those look fantastic! Too bad the shipping for a 4-piece set ends up at almost 300 dollars :/ But I must say, I am very tempted to get at least one of those snare drums!

Comment

What about Pintech Concert Casts with the dial knobs on them too , Usa company . They have ebay too Maybe free shipping . I bought one of their High end phoenix snares with my a to e Ludwig conversion. It triggers great. Rack mountable for small footprint you need . Recently changed hands. Maybe some B stock deals to work with. Check them out!
                Last edited by hemiboy; 12-27-17, 10:27 PM.

Comment

What about Pintech Concert Casts with the dial knobs on them too , Usa company . They have ebay too Maybe free shipping . I bought one of their High end phoenix snares with my a to e Ludwig conversion. It triggers great. Rack mountable for small footprint you need . Recently changed hands. Maybe some B stock deals to work with. Check them out!
                  I found this UK-based company called "Jobeky", I think I've seen that name before but I'm not sure. Do you have any experience with them or do you know what the general thoughts from drummers about their products are? Was thinking that the shipping might end up being alot less since they're quite a bit closer to Sweden.

I was also wondering (this has most likely been answered 1000 times before on these forums) but, if I get just a random module and then decide to use a VST instead of the built in sound: Will it be the triggers in the pads, the module or the VST that controls how sensitive and responsive the playing will be?
                  I found this video of a kit from EZdrummer 2 that I think sounds amazing, and the dude playing are making alot of subtle strokes throughout the video. Would I be able to achieve similar results if I would buy a Roland TD-3 or something just to keep the initial cost down and then later add a Jobeky snare or something? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFKIyUpR8tw

Comment

Jobeky is In England as well as Diamond Drums , and Drumtec is in Germany so you would have to check on shipping. But they have full sized triggered shells and a line of shells that are like Roland pads about 5 inches tall( especially Drumtec) .You had indicated you wanted a small footprint and you were against an a to e conversion because of the work). Full sized shells can be rack mounted but not in a small footprint. Let's face it, if you buy decent pads , it is the module supplying the sounds. I would wait for the 2 box drummit 3 to come out in January and it is compatible with all of those pads I mentioned including Pintech and Roland. Also, to get a visual of rack mounted drums , go on you tube and look at Gibraltar racks and a series called Brett's Hang. This will give you an idea of what will fit in your footprint
                    Last edited by hemiboy; 12-28-17, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Just to chime in where I can - the sensitivity knobs work fine with the Roland modules (used a 14 inch Strike pad with a TD-50). I should imagine they work fine with any other module too as I'm sure it's just controlling the signal strength that it lets through to the jack. I put the sensitivity up to almost full for it to work quickly with a Roland preset, but you can easily adjust the module sensitivity too if you prefer to keep the signal lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsc View Post
                        Just to chime in where I can - the sensitivity knobs work fine with the Roland modules (used a 14 inch Strike pad with a TD-50). I should imagine they work fine with any other module too as I'm sure it's just controlling the signal strength that it lets through to the jack. I put the sensitivity up to almost full for it to work quickly with a Roland preset, but you can easily adjust the module sensitivity too if you prefer to keep the signal lower.
                        Allright, good to know, thanks! I've been scouting the used market around here the last couple of weeks, quite a bit of TD-9 and TD-11 kits pop up, some for really good prices.
                        I'm leaning towards getting a TD-11 with the MDS4V rack and then change the pads one by one for Alesis Strike ones or something lik those. I'm in quite a tricky spot since I need both the smallest footprint I can while still having somewhat "real" sizes on the drums to even be able to play. I would however have no problems with the kit being very tight, i.e the pads very close to eachother, since that's how I had my kit set up back when I was actively playing.

The only remaining question now is: Would the MDS4V rack accomodate something like a 8", 10", 12" + 14" Alesis Strike pad?
                        I don't think it would be any real problems depth-wise to be honest, but I can't say for sure since I've only been looking at pictures. But it seems like something that can be done.

Comment

Working...
                        X