Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha EAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
    Perhaps I'm the odd one out, but I see no use for the EAD. For quick recordings of acoustic drums, it's already easy to use portable digital audio and video recorders, or smart phones. For adding effects, there are already a variety of pedals and small rack devices. I guess the EAD puts recorder, effects, and a metronome all in the same device, but the microphone unit is separate. The separate microphone is a deal killer because I never want to carry cables and set up microphones for quick recordings. The whole point of a small recorder is that it is a pocket-sized, all-in-one solution that includes microphones. In the electronic drum world, the EAD also seems like a non-starter because it requires acoustic drums played at acoustic drum volume. Therefore, my reaction to the EAD is one of disappointment followed by irrelevance. I'm hoping to see new e-drum products from Yamaha, but the EAD isn't remotely what I'm looking for.
    it contains also 700 sample, you can imports your own sound, 100 slots sample + 4 individual input trigger, I think you don't need to use all the time the center build microphone, you can use it as trigger device as well like the TM-2, the hybrid stuff is popular today for live use, adding element sound to acoustic drum, more click on kick, more mid range or ring on snare etc..
    Last edited by Chris K; 11-13-17, 06:33 PM.
    [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
      Perhaps I'm the odd one out, but I see no use for the EAD...
      Honestly, it's for newbs that want an all-in-one to record their YT videos... and apparently jam to 80's one-hit-wonders.
      Alan
      _________________________________________
      visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Chris K View Post
        It contains also 700 sample, you can imports your own sound, 100 slots sample + 4 individual input trigger, I think you don't need to use all the time the center build microphone, you can use it as trigger device as well like the TM-2, the hybrid stuff is popular today for live use, adding element sound to acoustic drum, more click on kick, more mid range or ring on snare etc.
        Thanks for more details on the Yamaha EAD10.

        Yamaha does a terrible job explaining, succinctly, what the EAD does. Also, there are no specs and no pictures describing the product in detail. From what I can see, the device has limited triggering functionality. It looks like there are two stereo trigger inputs and two mono trigger inputs. Or maybe, if the B side of the microphone input is reused, there are two stereo trigger inputs and three mono trigger inputs. Listening to different Yamaha reps describe the EAD10, it seems even they are confused about this! Also, if you use the EAD10's microphone (which requires two of the inputs), it seems the trigger count goes down to one stereo trigger input and two mono trigger inputs. In short, this unit isn't going to replace a drum module or trigger device like Megadrum.

        I think I've got a fairly good idea (now) what this device is and what it does. Clearly, I am not the target market.

        For those interested, here are snapshots I made while watching Yamaha's videos on the EAD10.

        Front Panel
        ead_001.jpg

        Back Panel
        ead_002.jpg

        USB I/O
        ead_003.jpg

        Audio and Trigger I/O
        ead_004.jpg

        Last edited by TangTheHump; 11-13-17, 08:03 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          Honestly, it's for newbs that want an all-in-one to record their YT videos... and apparently jam to 80's one-hit-wonders.
          Thank you! You said it much more succinctly and more clearly than I did! Yes, exactly!

          The effects sound cheesy, the triggering is limited, and the unit only records for 30 minutes (as stated in one of Yamaha's videos). With my portable digital recorder, I get hundreds of hours of recording at various sample rates and in various lossy and lossless formats, and stereo microphones are built into the recorder. The EAD10 doesn't interest me at all.
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 11-13-17, 08:05 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

            Thanks for more details on the Yamaha EAD10.

            Yamaha does a terrible job explaining, succinctly, what the EAD does. Also, there are no specs and no pictures describing the product in detail. From what I can see, the device has limited triggering functionality. It looks like there are two stereo trigger inputs and two mono trigger inputs. Or maybe, if the B side of the microphone input is reused, there are two stereo trigger inputs and three mono inputs. Listening to different Yamaha reps describe the unit, it seems even they are confused about this! Also, if you use the EAD's microphone (which requires two of the inputs), it seems the trigger count goes down to one stereo trigger input and two mono inputs. In short, this unit isn't going to replace a drum module or trigger device like Megadrum.

            I think I've got a fairly good idea (now) what this device is and what it does. Clearly, I am not the target market.
            yes the kick a and b is sensor+ microphone, the snare is stereo and the rest 2 mono.

            https://youtu.be/gqQKWOV7d3k?t=1330
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5n4XmGBx4

            This video explain it all
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQKWOV7d3k

            Image4.jpgImage2.jpg
            [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

            Comment


            • #21
              Pictures of the EAD10's bass drum mounted microphone.

              Microphone Front
              ead_005.jpg

              Microphone Back
              ead_006.jpg

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

                the triggering is limited.. and the unit only records for 30 minutes (as stated in one of Yamaha's videos)..
                You have space to trigger a standard 5 (even 6) piece acoustic kit. The kick is triggered from the kick unit, then you have a dual mono zone snare input (two zone for say, a DT50s ) and three more 3-zone trigger inputs for your rack and floor toms or cymbal pads, etc.

                eoltXq.png

                The 30 seconds is only a limitation when using the internal memory. Stuff in a USB stick and you can record 30 minute files.
                Last edited by electrodrummer; 11-14-17, 08:37 AM.
                *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

                Comment


                • #23
                  electrodrummer,

                  Thanks for the extra details. As an add-on for a few electronic sounds, the EAD10 might fit the bill, but it's not going to address the needs of a full-featured drum kit, be that kit acoustic or electronic. I've been waiting (along with others here) for Yamaha to release a significant electronic drum product, such as a new drum module or a new flagship kit. Consequently, it's disappointing to see Yamaha release this kind of toy-like stuff. For example, you mentioned the EAD10 will likely allow as many 30 minute recordings as can be stored on a USB memory stick. But when practicing, often I go through exercises that last an hour or more. Having to babysit the recorder, switching files every 30 minutes, is counterproductive. I think Alan VEX hit this one on the head. Ostensibly, the EAD10 is targeted at those who want to post effects-laden videos on YouTube.
                  Last edited by TangTheHump; 11-13-17, 09:25 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    In all seriousness, if a young band wants to jam in the garage, and guitarists/bassists/etc agree to plug silently, this is a good way to keep noise down and focus more as a team on your true sound. Itís nothing truly applicable in the gigging or recording world, but I definitely can see new and young bands using it successfully. If I were 16 years old, and putting my first band together in momís garage, I could see using something like this, until such band was able to fund a system and start gigging.
                    Alan
                    _________________________________________
                    visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Manuals now online
                      https://europe.yamaha.com/en/product...l#product-tabs
                      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                      DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Well for myself It is perfect to practice (that click function which follows songs you listen to is brilliant, it even follows tempo changes) record youtube video's or just audio (besides my HQ mics which I can route back to the aux in from my interface), trigger samples (757 sounds) from any of the 9 trigger inputs (if you would split them all to mono and use the hh pedal) use the mic for effect processing and practice with the app. And this in the quality we all know Yamaha for for a solid price.

                        Count me hooked.
                        #YamahaDrummers
                        @YamahaDrummers

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
                          You have space to trigger a standard 5 (even 6) piece acoustic kit. The kick is triggered from the kick unit, then you have a dual mono zone snare input (two zone for say, a DT50s ) and three more 3-zone trigger inputs for your rack and floor toms or cymbal pads, etc.
                          The bass drum is triggered from a separate output of the kick unit, which requires a trigger input on the EAD10. Thus, you don't get bass drum triggering for free because both the microphone output and bass drum trigger output must be connected. With this in mind, I think you'd be stretching things to trigger a 5 or 6 piece kit with the EAD10. The unit has four trigger inputs. The first two support dual piezo pads. The second two support single piezo pads. If you split the dual piezo inputs, the maximum number of trigger inputs is six single piezo. I guess one could make this work, but all the drums will be single zone / no rim (including the snare). Personally, I really miss rim zones on toms so even with a 4 piece kit, the EAD10 would not work well for me.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            trigger a 5 piece acoustic kit:

                            1 = kick
                            2 = floor tom
                            3 = snare head
                            4 = snare rim
                            5 = rack tom
                            6 = rack tom

                            trigger 4 piece acoustic kit:

                            1 = kick
                            2 = floor tom
                            3 = snare head
                            4 = snare rim
                            5 = rack tom
                            6 = extra 3 zone cymbal or drum pad for example

                            Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

                            (if there's any issue with the module for me, it's the lack of MIDI IN - my usual bugbear).
                            Last edited by electrodrummer; 11-14-17, 07:23 PM.
                            *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                            DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
                              trigger a 5 piece acoustic kit:

                              1 = kick
                              2 = floor tom
                              3 = snare head
                              4 = snare rim
                              5 = rack tom
                              6 = rack tom

                              trigger 4 piece acoustic kit:

                              1 = kick
                              2 = floor tom
                              3 = snare head
                              4 = snare rim
                              5 = rack tom
                              6 = extra 3 zone cymbal or drum pad for example

                              Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

                              (if there's any issue with the module for me, it's the lack of MIDI IN - my usual bugbear).
                              The examples you've given have significant numbers of single zone components. Plus, your sixth input (extra 3 zone cymbal or drum pad) only works for multiple zones with a Yamaha cymbal or Yamaha pad. For standard piezo-piezo pads that's a single zone input, too.

                              Re MIDI. The EAD10 has MIDI In and MIDI Out over USB. For MIDI Out, the triggers output note information and the foot controller outputs CC information. Where things get cloudy is MIDI In. The manuals talk about accessing reverb and effects parameters through MIDI In, but as best I recall no mention is made of triggering the internal sounds.
                              Last edited by TangTheHump; 11-14-17, 09:04 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                This replace TM-2, like a TM-3 [6 triggers] :P

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X