High end drum kit for mostly Metal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Ps: Things to add with MIMIC PRO: several news sound expansion pack will be available, editor would be available as well to imports users multilayered wav and creating new instruments.
    not sure if true but i heard that the MP may get the terry date expansion pack which are metal drums. will have to wait and see.
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I think the OP said he would use module sounds in the room and VST's for recording. That is what I usually do although the Mimic opens up the option to use audio outputs. So far the Mimic hi hat is performing better than all my VST's for me.

Comment

Hey guys, first of all a huge thank you for all the input and advice you have given me.

So i finally pulled the trigger and got the drum kit and the pedals.

I went with the Drum Tec kit, this one - https://www.drum-tec.com/drum-tec-pr...p-black-finish

I love how it looks, it comes with the Roland digital snare and the digital ride, i got an extra crash and stand to use as a china cymbal, comes with the TD50 module witch i thought was enough for me as i play just for fun, nothing professional.

Double Pedal this is what i got: https://www.thomann.de/gb/tama_hp900..._ironcobra.htm

I went to a nearby shop and they had the DW 5000/9000, Iron Cobras and Speed Cobras there. The Iron Cobras felt the best, so i went with those.

Only thing missing are the sticks and the throne, sticks will most likely be Vic Firth, seems to be the choice for lot of people, i cant tell the difference to be honest as i haven´t played in years. Is there a specific type of sticks i should be looking at that is better for mesh heads? Wood vs plastic. And the throne, i want to try out a different variety before i buy, i want to make sure it will be comfortable in long sessions of playing.

Once again thank you for all the advice here, around February/March i should be in my new house and my new job with lots of time, so i will make sure to share it when its all moved and set up!

Cheers!

Comment

I have found the Tama hydraulic Ergo rider is the most comfortable throne I have used.
          http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama/1st-Chair-Ergo-Rider-Drum-Throne-Hydraulix-Cloth-Top-Black-1500000022590.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj wKCAjwpfzOBRA5EiwAU0ccN7aepSfFXFwzf1Y00nITcUJ_lxtH RQ4BPY-VpBOtIt_K4vLRP7_5thoC68UQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^c-plaid^352017246455-sku^1500000022590@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Comment

Originally posted by Cykyter View Post
            Hey guys, first of all a huge thank you for all the input and advice you have given me.

So i finally pulled the trigger and got the drum kit and the pedals.

I went with the Drum Tec kit, this one - https://www.drum-tec.com/drum-tec-pr...p-black-finish

I love how it looks, it comes with the Roland digital snare and the digital ride, i got an extra crash and stand to use as a china cymbal, comes with the TD50 module witch i thought was enough for me as i play just for fun, nothing professional.

Double Pedal this is what i got: https://www.thomann.de/gb/tama_hp900..._ironcobra.htm

I went to a nearby shop and they had the DW 5000/9000, Iron Cobras and Speed Cobras there. The Iron Cobras felt the best, so i went with those.

Only thing missing are the sticks and the throne, sticks will most likely be Vic Firth, seems to be the choice for lot of people, i cant tell the difference to be honest as i haven´t played in years. Is there a specific type of sticks i should be looking at that is better for mesh heads? Wood vs plastic. And the throne, i want to try out a different variety before i buy, i want to make sure it will be comfortable in long sessions of playing.

Once again thank you for all the advice here, around February/March i should be in my new house and my new job with lots of time, so i will make sure to share it when its all moved and set up!

Cheers!

Congrats on the kit. I'm sure you will love it. I don't mean to plug really, but I'm sure you'll want to have some kits for immediate satisfaction. Check out my signature to see if we can help.

On the pedal, I'm not surprised. I used to play DW's. When I wasn't looking, I tried an IC and absolutely loved the fluid feel of it. As I didn't need it at the time, I didn't buy. A few years later, I went shopping for a replacement. I tried the Trick and Demon. I thought the Demon was a tad heavy, but loved how smooth it was in the shop. To this day, I've never really been 100% happy with it, but it works. I've often thought about selling and getting the IC. However, prices are just super high these days. I can't get what I want out of a used Demon to justify the swap. However, if I ever do swap again, it will most likely be the IC next time.

On the throne, I have used Roc n' Soc Nitros for almost 30 years. I love them, but will admit my back could use support these days. It's comfortable; but once again, this is something you should check out in the shop. There are LOTS of comfortable thrones these days.

Sticks are completely personal. I personally use the Vic Firth Signature Series Buddy Rich nylon tips. They are a good medium weight and taper. I loved the Regal Tip Jason Sutter sticks, and the Rich sticks were the absolute closest thing I could find to replace the wood tips. I also love hickory, and the Rich's brought that back into the mix. I was hesitant about the white paint finish, but it has proven durable and transfer resistant so far.

Good luck on finishing out the gear. Look forward to hearing what you do with it.
            Alan

Comment

Cykyter, congrats on the kit! For the e-kit, I use Vic Firth Dave Weckl sticks, very happy with them. I once played sticks with a nylon tip, what I feared happened, the tip got of. No need for anything else than a wooden tip en e-drums AFAIK. As far as a drum throne is concerned, unlike Peter and Alan, I've never ever sat on a hydraulic one. I cán imagine it being weird at first, because I suppose there's some "give" when you move. On the e-kit, I don't know by heart what brand my stool is, on the A-kit, I think it's an Osan, screw type one. I use it every Friday on reharsal for about 2.15 h, usually with a 15 min. break, that throne néver gave me problems. Only thing "lacking" is a back support.

Alan, how did you like the Trick's? Have you ever tried the Axis-pedals?
              'lectric drumma
              Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

I did try my buddy’s Axis. It was nice. Just didn’t seem "for me". IIRC, it seemed unusual... like one of those turbo cams that speeds up during the stroke. I don’t like that feel. The Trick seemed a bit stiff and heavy to me. I do use the Trick beaters on my Demon, though.
                Alan

Comment

Don't know if you were trying the A's or the X's... The A's have a VDL (variable drive lever), which can change the feel a lot. But they indeed do feel differently. I once played mine on the a-kit, and it was so different than the other pedal I play on the A's. But on the e-kit, they just feel so natural. I'm pretty sure though that with some tweaking I should be able to get them where I want for the a-kit too. Wouldn't mind trying the Tricks...
                  'lectric drumma
                  Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

I tested all the Drum Tec Gear in comparison with the Roland Pads at the Drum Tec Store (25km from my home )If you are choosing the TD50 you will need at least the Roland Snare and Ride Cymbal. The Drum Tec Hardware is great and suitable for hard hitters. Feeling and Response of the "pads" is fantastic. The Kickdrums are quiter than the Roland Kick Pads. I have not tested the Mimic Pro in the store, yet. But I will do it soon. Some friends who had already tested it said, the sounds (acoustic) are better than the Roland sounds. But the delay time seems to be longer. It is not the direct response feel like you have with the TD50. I prefer the TD50 because in modern productions (Metal, Rock, Pop) there are always electronic sounds layered with acoustic sounds. If I would play Jazz and have the need of pure acoustic sounds, maybe the Mimic Pro is the the better choice. And the Mimic Pro has no XLR Outputs, so you always need extra Di Boxes on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by cseider View Post
                      But the delay time seems to be longer. It is not the direct response feel like you have with the TD50. I prefer the TD50 because in modern productions (Metal, Rock, Pop) there are always electronic sounds layered with acoustic sounds. If I would play Jazz and have the need of pure acoustic sounds, maybe the Mimic Pro is the the better choice. And the Mimic Pro has no XLR Outputs, so you always need extra Di Boxes on stage.

Sorry this is not true, there is no noticeable delay, I tested mimic 2 time and td-50, it depend on which pad have been set\ how set up it it was make big difference, he probably tested on store bad hardware\not configuration correctly ;GC, also room channel can make illusion of "delay", its not delay "the 3d room make like this"

-With MIMIC you can have 8 XLR with the DB25 1/4 to XLR

-MIMIC include all Metal, Pop and Rock easily, you can model the sound as you want for each instruments, there is all mic , direct close\ far, eq ,compressor, reverb for each individual instruments to sculpt the sound, there is approx 26, snare, 26 bass drum, *you can layer them together and also *layer any imported wav with them as today drummer do for metal specially.

here mp3 demo of mimic
                      https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvmU3HSv-AO2g5kxaYfwjiWlTG7iIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHaxC28wy0

mm.mp3
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chris K; 10-17-17, 04:41 PM.
                      [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

Chris, he may be talking about the kit change time.
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by cseider View Post
                          I tested all the Drum Tec Gear in comparison with the Roland Pads at the Drum Tec Store (25km from my home )If you are choosing the TD50 you will need at least the Roland Snare and Ride Cymbal. The Drum Tec Hardware is great and suitable for hard hitters. Feeling and Response of the "pads" is fantastic. The Kickdrums are quiter than the Roland Kick Pads. I have not tested the Mimic Pro in the store, yet. But I will do it soon. Some friends who had already tested it said, the sounds (acoustic) are better than the Roland sounds. But the delay time seems to be longer. It is not the direct response feel like you have with the TD50. I prefer the TD50 because in modern productions (Metal, Rock, Pop) there are always electronic sounds layered with acoustic sounds. If I would play Jazz and have the need of pure acoustic sounds, maybe the Mimic Pro is the the better choice. And the Mimic Pro has no XLR Outputs, so you always need extra Di Boxes on stage.
                          1. It sounds like you are suggesting that the Mimic has more latency. It might have 1 more MS technically but it definitely is fast just like the TD50. I owned both for 5 months.
                          2. The outputs are balanced TRS so you do not need direct boxes,just a 1/4" to XLR cable.
                          3. You can layer samples on the kick and snare.
                          4. Both modules would be great for metal. The Mimic would allow you to EQ and compress every mic of every drum just like a metal engineer would. You could look at something like the Andy Sneap presets for Toontrack and apply those techniques. He uses ALOT of EQ and compression and then runs all the drums through a fairly long reverb.

Comment

Working...
                          X