Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Help me decide!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide!!

Hey everyone!

*I posted this in The Foyer, but I'm starting to think that was the WRONG place to post. I'm new here, and a relatively new drummer as well. I've played drums mostly on friend's kits over the years, but I've only recently decided to purchase a professional electronic drum kit of my own. I primarily play guitar, and I've wanted a drum kit to be able to record on top of guitar tracks that I already have.

So here's the deal...I've been researching kits from various companies, and I gotta say...I'm overwhelmed. I know what it is that I want out of a kit, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to purchase. I would LOVE any and all input from all of you guys and gals out there soo I'll go over what I want and maybe you can let me know what you think.
    • PRICE: I would like to spend MAX $3,500 for EVERYTHING. Preferably less than $3k. This includes a throne, hi-hat stand, double bass pedal, cables, etc.
    • PIECES: I'm looking for a kit consisting of kick and snare (obviously), 2 maybe 3 toms, 1 ride and 3 (maaaybe 4) crashes. I prefer mesh heads. I would like at least 1 (or 2) of the crashes (as well as the ride) to be 3-zone as well as all of them having a choke option. I'm thinking of setting them up as like a 16'' crash, 19'' crash, 21'' ride, and a china. I've been thinking about purchasing a kit, selling off some of the cymbals it comes with, and then just buying different cymbals in addition, but this can get pricey.
    • MODULE: This is where I've been getting overwhelmed. I would like to be able to import (and edit?) samples that I can acquire from the internet (specifically from http://www.roomsound.com/), sooo I'm thinking that it's not ESSENTIAL that the pre-programmed kits that come with the module be absolutely incredible. I've noticed that some modules give you the option of importing .WAV files or something and assigning them to a specific drum and then editing the sounds with EQ and velocity and whatnot. I would also like to have the ability to easily record a piece and transfer it to a computer or smart phone or something.
    So I've sort of narrowed it down to the Roland TD25KV or the Alesis Strike Pro. I've also been looking at the TD30K, but that could get a little out of my price range. I just can't decide. Obviously I'd be getting much more as far as pieces go from the Alesis (and arguably a better module), but the Roland has better quality, better sound, and better (but fewer) cymbals. I feel like I don't really need top of the line, as I won't be playing live AT ALL and I'm really only doing this to record, so I'm leaning towards the Alesis. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me decide on SOMETHING! Even if it's a completely different brand/model, or you think I should DIY this thing and throw pieces together from a bunch of different kits.

Thank you in advance!!!

Originally posted by illmatic View Post
    I would like to be able to import (and edit?) samples that I can acquire from the internet
    Roland modules can't do that with the exception of the TD50.

All current Yamaha modules allow that (apart from the entry DTX400) You could, for example, look at this which hits every one of your requirements (but silicone not mesh heads) and will give you enough left over for extra cymbals, double-pedal, stool., etc. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTX720K (have you played the silicone pads?)

The Alesis you mentioned has sample importing.
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 09-27-17, 07:50 AM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Between those 2 i would say go with Roland because Alesis is not known for putting out quality stuff so you will likely have issues with the alesis,roland on the other hand is known for making stuff thats built like a tank and will last you years. As far as sound goes with both of these you will want to run vst's because both don't sound very good.You also might want to look at 2box or atv ad5 because they have very good sound,atv also has some nice looking drums and they sound very good,2box sounds good but their kits are ugly as sin.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

Roland modules can't do that with the exception of the TD50.

All current Yamaha modules allow that (apart from the entry DTX400) You could, for example, look at this which hits every one of your requirements (but silicone not mesh heads) and will give you enough left over for extra cymbals, double-pedal, stool., etc. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTX720K (have you played the silicone pads?)

The Alesis you mentioned has sample importing.
        I have not played the silicone pads...how do they compare to the mesh heads? It looks like I could get a DTX720K bundle from Kraft for 2k and add in a few cymbals for an additional $400 or so. That's not bad. Has anyone used this kit extensively? How does the module compare to Roland/Alesis modules?

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by demonocus View Post
          Between those 2 i would say go with Roland because Alesis is not known for putting out quality stuff so you will likely have issues with the alesis,roland on the other hand is known for making stuff thats built like a tank and will last you years. As far as sound goes with both of these you will want to run vst's because both don't sound very good.You also might want to look at 2box or atv ad5 because they have very good sound,atv also has some nice looking drums and they sound very good,2box sounds good but their kits are ugly as sin.
          This is why I'm leaning more towards Alesis. I'm almost 100% positive that I will be importing samples or using VST's. Could you maybe recommend some good ones that you've used?

Thanks!

Comment

If you are recording only,why would you import samples? Get a reliable kit for triggering and get some VST's. You just record the MIDI from the kit.

Comment

Roland TD25KV and Superior Drummer 3. You can import your own sounds into SD3. You might want to get some higher end Roland pads to improve responsiveness but if you aren't really a drummer than you will likely be fine with the pads that come with the TD25KV.
              jasdrumr

E-Kit: Roland VPro (TD-20 w/TDW) combined with TD-25, ddrum DDTi and Superior Drummer 3
              A-Kit: DW Collector's and Zildjian

Comment

Originally posted by jasdrumr View Post
                Roland TD25KV and Superior Drummer 3. You can import your own sounds into SD3. You might want to get some higher end Roland pads to improve responsiveness but if you aren't really a drummer than you will likely be fine with the pads that come with the TD25KV.
                Only problem with this idea is that I feel like it can get pricey. I could probably get a used TD25KV for roughly $2k or a little more, then I'm looking at an extra $600+ for cymbals, a couple hundred for SD3, and obviously a throne/hi-hat stand/double bass pedal...I'm looking at almost $4,000 here.

Comment

Originally posted by jasdrumr View Post
                  Roland TD25KV and Superior Drummer 3.
                  I'm also thinking I could get away with the Yamaha DTX720K instead of the TD25KV. I could get a bundle at Kraft Music that includes a pedal, throne, hi-hat stand, and more for between $2k - $2.4k and then buy a few extra cymbals for about $200 each. Do you know if theres a significant difference in the feel and responsiveness of these cymbals/pads?

Comment

I havenít spent any real time with the Yamaha so I canít advise. As many people here suggest, used gear can be found that performs as good as new. That may be an option.

Any way you decide to go itís great that you are getting in. As you play and learn how things work together you can make changes as necessary.
                    jasdrumr

E-Kit: Roland VPro (TD-20 w/TDW) combined with TD-25, ddrum DDTi and Superior Drummer 3
                    A-Kit: DW Collector's and Zildjian

Comment

There's another option not yet mentioned here, but is due on the market very soon. The 2Box Drumit 3 will fit your needs as a module. You might get a Roland TD-25KV kit since Roland has great pads and cymbals, BUT then you could sell the module on eBay for about $650 if new. Then buy the Drumit 3 module which will allow you to import VST-quality samples and will be 100% compatible with the Roland drums and cymbals.

So, TD-25KV = $2,499 (lower if you buy from eDrumcenter.com)
                      Sell TD-25 module for $800.
                      Buy 2Box D3 for maybe $999? (Estimated price in US).
                      Final outlay for just what you want/need: $2,699.
                      This also gives you a few $ to spare for other stuff.

I'd give Erik at eDrumcenter a call. He's very helpful and might be willing to work out a deal like what you're looking for. I'm not sure if he'll be able to get you a 2Box, though.
                      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by illmatic View Post

I have not played the silicone pads...how do they compare to the mesh heads? It looks like I could get a DTX720K bundle from Kraft for 2k and add in a few cymbals for an additional $400 or so. That's not bad. Has anyone used this kit extensively? How does the module compare to Roland/Alesis modules?

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.
                        The DTX hits everyone of your requirements on the head. I, personally, wouldn't get a TD25 as it has no MIDI IN for flexibility and expansion (read all the threads on here about running out of inputs on a TD25!), it's limited on what sounds you can put where, has an annoying spider/ octopus/ snake cable, no sample loading, etc. You do need to go and hit a silicone pad, though! I like em - less bouncy than the mesh ones I've got, and very quiet - but this is the most personal part of a purchase! For the technical aspects, all the manuals are online so have a read.
                        Last edited by electrodrummer; 09-28-17, 04:27 AM.
                        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

If you want 3-zone cymbals, you narrow it down to Yamaha. As for the price, are you considering 2nd hand? I've been away from the forum for several years and in the meantime a lot has changed, so I can't comment too much on some of the newer modules like the TD-25. My former module was a TD-20 and I only recently upgraded to a TD-30, which seems to be an different league, especially coming from a non-expanded TD-20. Also, please consider DIY, especially for the non-cymbal-pads - I think (but could be wrong) that they are harder to make. So buying 1 pad so see how things "should" work, and then making the rest yourself might be a good option. That would even allow you to get a TD-30 module and stay within your budget. I mean, for 250 Ä you can get a full a-kit to convert, 1 crash/ride and hi-hat included, e.g.: https://www.thomann.de/be/millenium_mx222.htm. Or if you want smaller sizes, think e.g. floortom of maximum 14" instead of 16", that'll cost you only 36 Ä https://www.thomann.de/be/millenium_..._stand_tom.htm. Soundquality might not be that good, but who cares when you are converting it to an e-kit.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Stijn
                          'lectric drumma
                          Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

The DTX hits everyone of your requirements on the head. I, personally, wouldn't get a TD25 as it has no MIDI IN for flexibility and expansion (read all the threads on here about running out of inputs on a TD25!), it's limited on what sounds you can put where, has an annoying spider/ octopus/ snake cable, no sample loading, etc. You do need to go and hit a silicone pad, though! I like em - less bouncy than the mesh ones I've got, and very quiet - but this is the most personal part of a purchase! For the technical aspects, all the manuals are online so have a read.
                            Yeah, I'm leaning further away from Roland at THIS point, only because they are expensive and it seems like I could get what I need easily from something else. I've always thought the mesh heads were a little bouncy, but I'll need to try out silicone before I purchase. Thanks for your input though, very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                              As for the price, are you considering 2nd hand?
                              I would love to find exactly what I'm looking for from a used dealer, but Kraft Music has a really great bundle for $2,000 that I'm considering. http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx...ls-bundle.html As far as other gear goes (such as extra cymbals, throne, pedals, etc) I will definitely be purchasing 2nd hand.

As far as DIY goes, I don't think I'm there yet in terms of skill or know-how. Maybe someday! Thanks for your input!

Comment

Working...
                              X