TD-30 or ATV?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-30 or ATV?

Considering selling my Roland TD-30 kit for an ATV Artist kit. I know the AD5 module is limited but the first 5 onboard kits sound unbelievably amazing - toms, snare, cymbals - UNREAL! Plus I want an ekit that looks like an akit to win over the band and audience snobs on stage - am I mad??
    Current: TD-30, TD-12 modules/TD-20 pads
    Previous: TD-3, TD-5, TD-8

I don't think you are crazy. The pad sizes are closer to real drums and you can always buy a Mimic later if you want editing and more inputs.

Comment

Mimic sounds great too but not as good as the AD5 to my ears...?

Comment

Wondering if AD5 module v2 might have editing/EFX capabilities, an onboard fader and better input/output volume controls?

Comment

And maybe ATV will offer an upgrade swap for early AD5 adopters ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by stikkman View Post
            Mimic sounds great too but not as good as the AD5 to my ears...?
            If you like sound of the AD5 then you are set. It has some great drum sounds,especially the soon to be released brass snare. I would not count on a different version of the module anytime soon.

Comment

Considering selling my Roland TD-30 kit for an ATV Artist kit. I know the AD5 module is limited but the first 5 onboard kits sound unbelievably amazing - toms, snare, cymbals - UNREAL! Plus I want an ekit that looks like an akit to win over the band and audience snobs on stage - am I mad??
              Keep the TD-30 and do an a-2-e-conversion? Never tried the AD5-module, just bought the TD-30 a few weeks ago. I hope it's better than the AD5...
              'lectric drumma
              Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

To me, sounds and playability are the biggest factors in which module to choose. You prefer the aD5 sounds, and it plays every bit as nicely as the TD30, so I'd go that route. As Alan said, there isn't likely to be another ATV module soon, but upgrades will continue on the horizon - meaning, more sounds and functions. That "ATV Link" is there for a reason. We just don't know why at this point.
                Pearl Mimic Pro. Also, TD-11 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

If you want to play live get any module with individual out at least.

I have seen several people using routing live for reason by demand of the soudman using edrum, its too much complicated with each venue and frequency bouncing wall, ceiling or any surface playing, cymbal are the worst to manage, snare\kick.

Ps:The advantage with mimic can be used for all situation and its open architecture, which means sound like in sd3 or any vst can be in mimic with the editor outside new expansion pack provided, for live application the soundman will not shake his head.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 09-13-17, 05:25 PM.
                  [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

This OP asked about upgrading from one specific module to another. Why are people pushing a different module on him? If the OP was interested in additional modules, he would have asked about them. Please respect people's choices.
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                      This OP asked about upgrading from one specific module to another. Why are people pushing a different module on him? If the OP was interested in additional modules, he would have asked about them. Please respect people's choices.
                      This comment concerns me greatly. I think it's important to remember that discussions are fluid. The OP asked about two specific modules, but that doesn't mean other modules and ideas won't come up. In my own threads, I've learned oodles of things from people who answered differently than I expected. Not everyone sees issues the same, and that's a good thing because it is how we learn and how we discover new ideas.

Comment

stikkman,

Considering selling my Roland TD-30 kit for an ATV Artist kit. I know the AD5 module is limited, but the first 5 onboard kits sound unbelievably amazing - toms, snare, cymbals - UNREAL! Plus I want an ekit that looks like an akit to win over the band and audience snobs on stage - am I mad??
                        I don't think you are mad. I'm somewhat in the same situation as you. I have a TD-30KV kit and I'm wondering what to do with it. The kit hasn't provided the sounds, playability, and (ultimately) musical expression and musical value I was hoping for, but it is a complete kit that works and provides certain flexibility.

There is no question the aD5 sounds considerably better and more natural than the TD-30. There are no kits in the TD-30 that sound as clean, untreated, and authentic as what the aD5 provides. Even when you turn off all the effects, COSM parameters, and SuperNATURAL parameters in the TD-30, the sounds are still very processed and synthetic. That's because Roland bakes certain elements into the samples. Also, and this is very important, the aD5 has much less machine gunning than the TD-30. Sound-wise then, it's a no brainer; the aD5 wins hands down.

As a kit and playing surfaces, the aDrums seem pretty nice and seem to offer better and more robust triggering than Roland's TD-30 based kits. Also, it's hard to ignore the 14 inch hats, 18 inch ride cymbal, larger snare drum, and larger toms. All of these things make the drums more playable. One thing you'll lose, though, are the rim zones of the toms. That may or may not be important to you. As best I understand it, the aDrum toms themselves support rim zones, but the aD5 does not.

And what about the TD-30 module?

What you'll lose are the TD-30's individual outputs, MIDI ports, sequencer, and some other features. If you are considering triggering VST libraries, I'd stay with the TD-30. I use the sequencer a lot so that would be a concern for me, but I could offload sequencing to computer software. Still, for triggering VST libraries, I'd prefer the interface and extra inputs of the TD-30.

As far as editing is concerned, most of the TD-30's COSM, SuperNATURAL, and effects parameters should not be used, so losing these features doesn't matter. Why do I make such an emphatic statement? Whenever feasible, you *always* want to play samples back at their original pitch. Plus, all the other parameters only serve to make the samples sound false, heaping tons of EQ, compression, and DSP artifacts onto them. No engineer wants this kind of pre-processing and neither do you if you're trying to hear what you're playing. So yeah, I never use any of the COSM, SuperNATURAL, and effects stuff in the TD-30.

It is useful to have an envelope generator. The TD-30 only provides a preset decay envelope in the form of the Dampening parameter. As you probably know, rather than being continuously adjustable, the Dampening parameter has four or five preset values (Tape, Sound Rings, and such) and these help you control the decay and overtones of each sound. Apart from Instrument Voice, the Dampening parameter is the most important editing feature in the TD-30. It helps you adjust the samples for different playing situations and does not add artifacts.

Wrapping this up

For sounds and playing surfaces, I'd probably chose the aD5 and aDrums, though I would greatly miss having access to rim sounds on the toms. I use rims on the toms all the time, with rim sounds for giving extra expression to tom sounds and for cross-stick, cowbell, clave, slash cymbal, and other percussion sounds. Would I choose to lose the rim flexibility to get the better drum sounds and larger playing surfaces of the aD5 and aDrums? Yes, I probably would.

Losing the TD-30's Dampening parameter is tough to swallow, but I look at it this way. Even with the Dampening parameter, the TD-30 still sounds false and synthetic, and machine guns a lot. Simply put, the sounds of the aD5 are more authentic and acoustic-sounding. You might need to use external gear to tame the aD5's sounds a tad, but at least you have that option. Conversely, the TD-30 always sounds synthetic and machine guns considerably, and no outboard gear can change this.

Here is the big BUT in all of this. If I my main goal was to trigger VST libraries, I'd probably stay with the TD-30. Simple as that. As a trigger module for VST libraries, the TD-30 provides much greater flexibility than the aD5. With the TD-30 you get positional sensing, more trigger inputs, rim triggering, and a much nicer interface for managing all of this.
                        Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-13-17, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your excellent reply and in-depth explanations. And glad to hear some folks are feeling the same about ATV's offerings as I. Maybe ATV will come out with a more full featured module in the future - just don't mess with the samples :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

This comment concerns me greatly. I think it's important to remember that discussions are fluid. The OP asked about two specific modules, but that doesn't mean other modules and ideas won't come up. In my own threads, I've learned oodles of things from people who answered differently than I expected. Not everyone sees issues the same, and that's a good thing because it is how we learn and how we discover new ideas.
                            I posted it because of the numerous complaints I've been receiving in PM in the past two weeks. There are a lot of other things being griped about, but I am being patient in addressing them - in hopes they will be recognized and remedied on their own. Trust me, you don't want me to go into any more depth.
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                              I posted it because of the numerous complaints I've been receiving in PM in the past two weeks. There are a lot of other things being griped about, but I am being patient in addressing them - in hopes they will be recognized and remedied on their own. Trust me, you don't want me to go into any more depth.
                              Alan, I appreciate you've got a tough job and it's often a thankless job. There are certain complaints I've seen on this board that, frankly, I think should be ignored. People need to recognize they are responsible for their own experiences. If someone doesn't like a certain topic, then they shouldn't read it. If someone doesn't like the style of certain posters, then they shouldn't read these posts. You (yourself) shouldn't have to kowtow to every special interest. Thanks again for your work.

Comment

Working...
                              X