Hey everyone!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone!!

Hey everyone, it's been 137+1 years since I've been here... How is everything?

A lot has changed for me, for those who don't follow me on Facebook or YouTUbe, I have lost all of my vision in December of 2015, and because of it, lost a lot of abilities.

Honestly, I am coming here because it seems there's a lot of talk about the new Pearl Mimic Pro and the ROland TD-50, etc etc. Well, I'm looking to upgrade my module, but here's where the drawback comes in... I need to figure out a way to make a module accessible for blind and visually impaired users, so this leads me to the Pearl Mimic Pro, largely because it's touchscreen, and I'm unsure if it can be controlled remotely, or if any module can, other than VDrumLib, which is not fully controllable or accessible.

Here's what I want to know:

1. is there any way to navigate menus on the module using any form of OSC or midi? EG: can I change through menu functions like kit name, midi note etc, because if so, I can come up with a way to make it accessible, kinda...
    2. I'm kinda bummed on the TD-50 and may go to the TD-30 since it was the last module I visually saw, a nd from what I remember, it looks/operates similar to the TD-20/20x, which I regret trading my 20x for a 15, but live nad learn...

I still do my DIY conversions and what not, although takes me longer, but I gotta do what I gotta do... ya know?

Another project i've been working on is making Addictive Drums 2 accessible. For anyone who has no clue, AD2 is not accessible by the keyboard, I don't think (largely because thee aren't any Keyboard shortcuts, really), so myself, and another person helping me, have came up with a solution that will allow me to be able to control AD2 with the Keyboard. Right now, the setup uses OCR and NVDA (screen reader for the blind; OCR is optical character recognition, and NVDA stnads for Non-Visual Desktop Access). So far, we are able to cycle through presets and start/stop the GUI's player. More will be developed like kit piece selection, midi note configuration, edtc etc etc etc etc...

My studio project already allows me mixer control within the setup using the studio's "plugin control" mode, everything with speech output so I can hear what I'm operating/tinkering with. Once the project is viewable, I will create a demo, and this will help many of us drummers who are blind/visually impaired, and believe jme, there are many.

I have already did something like this for Sonar X3 so I can still work on my music.
    I hope to hear from you guys soon. Believe me, this is not an easy ride...

Roland TD-15, MDS-20, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, CY-8 x3, PD-8+FD-8
    DIY Tama Rockstar: 22" kick, 14" Dual Zone Snare, 10", 12" & 14" Dual Zone Toms

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TDW-20/X > TD-15

Facebook Youtube

sorry to hear about your vision.. but still you don't let anything stop you.. which is great.. and you even don't take the easy route,
    which would be acoustic drums i guess .. in your case.. ..(edit : and you play those too ; )
    i don't know if touch screen could be made like you wish ..it would be difficult to know exactly 'where' you are ?
    in this day and age technology can be a 'pain' but it can also solve a lot of things.. so, who knows ..
    Last edited by Ericdrumz; 08-08-17, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about you losing your vision! I don't know the answer to your questions, I've been way too long away from following everything in e-drumworld, but I wish you all the best. And my deepest respect for not giving up!
      'lectric drumma
      Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Thanks, and yes, I still play both my acoustic and electronic kits. I just want to update to a new module.

I figured I'd probably end up treating the TD-30 or what not like I do the previous modules. The menu is basically a folder tree, and that makes it easy to remember. Chances are I will go to a TD-30 over the 50, largely due to the fact the digital pads are nice and all, but yeah.... Unless there's a way to make either module accessible. the Pearl module is a no go unless it can be controlled via OSC portocol, therefore I can make it accessible by controlling it from the computer. the OSC portocol is similar to how , say, a Behringer X-air 18 system is controlled by an iPad. In this case, the module'd take the place of an X Air, and the ipad would be replaced with my PC with the screenreader accessible software.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Facebook Youtube

Comment

Glad to have you back buddy, I thought we lost you in all the fame and fortune playing you were doing!

Maybe Mr. Boo, who is working on the Mimic and is a member here on the Forums on the Mimic Pro thread, can answer you question directly about an interface to work with a PC so you can "see" what you're doing.

Glad you're still rocking!! The newer folks here don't know what it's like to have one of the "regulars" back on here!

Rock on!

Ken
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Thanks, and I will find out about that, because the more I can make accessible, that'd be awesome, problem is, I'd have to purchase a Mimic module, and what not. Right now, I've been working with Addictive Drums 2, and well, today I did my first decent beta test and made a video explaining what I've been dealing with on it. Check it out.
            https://youtu.be/myJ8xburS2g

I am glad to be back, but honestly the past couple years have been h e double hockey sticks on me, and I am not one to say that it does bother me, because I will hide it, but truth be told, oh man, it tore me apart.

Glad to hear from you bro.

Facebook Youtube

Comment

Working...
            X