Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get a more immersive experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demonocus View Post
    I never understood how a vibrating throne is supposed to make drumming a better experience ,sorry i just don't get it.
    Now, who doesn't like a good kick in the butt while playing their drums? Really!
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I have the Pearl Throne Thumper and on my Rock N Soc gel seat it's OK. Not great but ok for what I need. If I had a standard throne it would kick better I'm sure!
      The gel seat tends to absorb all the vibrations leaving less thump in your trunk.
      K
      Last edited by Kenster; 04-21-17, 04:18 PM.
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by BWaj View Post

Which do you use Perceval? I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2 or 3 driver set and not sure how much of a difference it will make.
        Loads of them, depending on your budget.

I have a pair of Westone, but I know some people are also very pleased with their Shure.

I have the single driver version, which has a bit less bass, but also is a lot more streamlined and doesn't stick out of my ears. 2-driver models will offer more extension into the bass. 3 and 4 driver versions start to get expensive!

As for tips, the best I've found for myself is the comply tips. Their are like memory foam, you have to compress them, introduce into your ears and let them expand and take the shape of your canal. Very noise isolating and very comfortable, I also use them on extended 9-hour flights to keep my ears quieter from the rumble of the engines.

Hope that helps!
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

I have a pair of Westone, but I know some people are also very pleased with their Shure.

I have the single driver version, which has a bit less bass, but also is a lot more streamlined and doesn't stick out of my ears. 2-driver models will offer more extension into the bass. 3 and 4 driver versions start to get expensive!

As for tips, the best I've found for myself is the comply tips. Their are like memory foam, you have to compress them, introduce into your ears and let them expand and take the shape of your canal. Very noise isolating and very comfortable, I also use them on extended 9-hour flights to keep my ears quieter from the rumble of the engines.

Hope that helps!
          how do the westones sound compared to some of the popular cans? i was thinking of getting the 2 driver for added bass.
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500,
          BBE Sonic Maximizer, Promark

Comment

They sound good to my ears.

Good ode sound and good isolation means I'll never sweaty ears again!
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Hope that helps!
              Thanks!
              TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads - three rack toms, one floor, one kick with dual pedal, snare, three aux pads, three Gen16 crashes, one Gen16 Ride and Gen16 hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and The JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, http://bwajda12.wix.com/jamco

Comment

I agree..I go to NAMM every year and try a lot of different in-ears and Westone beats everyone hands down. As to whether they're as good as cans, that's hugely subjective, but, the common consensus is in-ears will never be as good as a good set of cans. The trade off of course, is no sweaty bulky cans over your head and ears. So it's a matter of taste...what are you able to get by with vs what do you really need or want in regards to how the sound plays in your ears? Of course, if you're playing live on stage you need in-ears..no one wants to see cans on stage.

K
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

I've used the Buttkicker concert for many years and love the tactile response it gives to the bass drum and toms. Even though I have a large PA facing my VDrums... 2- JBL 18' Subs, 2-15" / horns for monitors, I still like having the Buttkicker thumping away. Digital sounds can be loud but can still get lost in the mix when other instruments are chewing up our bandwidth. So the Buttkicker makes up that difference for me. So I shot a couple of pix of the RokNSoc with the backrest / Buttkicker conversion. I found that adding the backrest makes a huge difference... In addition to replacing a few fillings, I've had a Spleen transplant because of it... but all in the name of rock n roll. Regarding those who've never tried the ButtKicker or see how it would be of benefit, I've had many drummers play my VDrums and love the punch it creates.

BDrums
                  BDrums

V-Pro TD-10 Expanded, SPD-S, TD-7, Vintage Gretsch Acoustics, Buttkicker, Red Shot triggers, Octapad, Syndrums, MPC and an array of other crazy old electronic drum gadgoids...

Comment

I ordered some Audeze Isine 10 in-ears that should be here tomorrow. I heard them at NAMM and they sound exceptional,but unfortunately not great at isolation. My goal is to use them live on Edrums but still have a monitor. I found that I hit Edrums too hard live with the sounds farther away. I think having in-ears that sound that good will make it more like acoustic drums. Acoustic drums are always closer to you than the monitor.

Comment

Used the Buttkicker for years with in ears. Recently converted to the BC Gigster and this thing is amazing! Super expensive ($900) but it is a whole other level of immersion. Use it with Westone ES50 in-ears (5 driver).

It's different than the Buttkicker. I think its a 10 or 12" speaker inside the throne so it does more than thump. I run bass, toms, a tiny bit of snare and bass guitar through my in ear setup and I am blown away by how great it "feels" but also how it augments the overall sound experience as well! You literally can feel the music through your entire body. I find myself closing my eyes when a play and just enjoying the experience. Can't say enough good things about this product.

If you have the cash for this thing, it is another level beyond the Buttkicker in terms of "Immersive experience" for a drummer.
                      TD-30k + Extras
                      Presonus 16.4.2, QSC K-8 (x2), RCF12P (x2) Yorkville Pulse 10" Sub, Shure In Ears, Aura Bass Shaker

Comment

Sounds really cool. But the question I have for you... Did you have the concert version secured with the plate on the bottom of your throne with a backrest? The backrest to me (and other drummers that experienced the difference) really make the experience come alive. I expect @ $900 the Gigster rocks too.
                        BDrums

V-Pro TD-10 Expanded, SPD-S, TD-7, Vintage Gretsch Acoustics, Buttkicker, Red Shot triggers, Octapad, Syndrums, MPC and an array of other crazy old electronic drum gadgoids...

Comment

Never have used a backrest before on any throne (Including the ones with the Bass Shaker and Buttthumper). Interesting idea, definitely may have added to the immersive experience with my other thumpers. The BC Gigster I have doesn't have a backrest.
                          TD-30k + Extras
                          Presonus 16.4.2, QSC K-8 (x2), RCF12P (x2) Yorkville Pulse 10" Sub, Shure In Ears, Aura Bass Shaker

Comment

Originally posted by raredesign View Post
                            With volume turned up on some 50mm driver headphones with good bass response, it isn't too bad, but can be a quick path to damaged hearing.
                            VDrums seem to be a more disconnected feel without the acoustic vibrations that comes from an actual acoustic set.

Is a ButtKicker the best option for getting that immersive experience? I have amps-a-plenty but can't always shake the house. I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't appreciate it too much.

Edit: Just a clarifier here, one of the main driving factors of getting away from an acoustic set was so that it would be controlled sound and not damage hearing or wake the baby...and neighbors, so I just wanted to clarify so it didn't seem like circular reasoning.
                            I'd strongly look into Porter and Davies Gigster option. I have/had a Buttkicker concert, and it was "ok" at best. It would clip out and overheat so much that it wasn't even worth turning on the amp for it. Haven't heard / read anything but insane reviews for the Gigster. Insane in terms of how awesome it is, but how much it costs. I just ordered one from Sweetwater last week for $957. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3101TH - Can't wait to check it out, and if it sucks, I'll be quick to return it. However, read up on it, and you won't hear anything but people justifying the expense.

Update: I received the Gigster. Other than ripping the seat 5 minutes after unboxing (caused by my none else than my Buttkicker mounted to a Roc N Soc being in the way of moving my new-Gigster throne), this thing is a BEAST! 1000x better than the Buttkicker! Expensive as hell, but I'm keeping it due to making my play time so much more enjoyable.
                            Last edited by 5mith5; 05-25-17, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X