Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that can only be done with electronic drums

Hi everbody,

I wonder if there are things that can only be done with electronic drum kits? I mean artistic things, special ways of performing stuff that go beyond mimicking an a-set. I donīt mean the obvious things like midi-recording.

Any ideas? Links to videos or instructions?

8 snare kit. 8 hi-hat kit!. Snare on the kick. Kick on the hi-hat. Running around on stage with a Dynacord Rhythmstick MIDI-ed to my kit. Changing the entire drum kit at bar 16, then changing it again at bar 24. TURNING THE VOLUME DOWN!! Play a bassline on the kick. Play chords on the toms. Any sound in the world on any of the pads. Run an entire light show or back projection from the kit in realtime. etc. etc. etc. etc.... (I could go on....)

Why you asking?
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 01-10-17, 07:45 PM.
    *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
    DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Loads o' synth modules and FX. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

I'll just list my favorite, since I came across it by accident. I added a single zone pad next to my hi hat as a second snare, but set it to a second hi hat sound w/ tamborine and both of them open and close with the FD-7 pedal. I'm addicted to having two different hi hats now.
      TD-9_stealth Yamaha, HPD-15, HPD-10, Octapad etc.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        Why you asking?
        out of curiosity. Iīm a beginner and as far as I can see the discussion a vs e is mostly about mimicking an analog drum and about the things a vdrum canīt do. So I was wondering whether there are useful (aka not toying around) things that give vdrums a specific artistic value. Of course there is some obvious stuff like the melodious set in the Roland TD-30 but I could not find any video or performance that makes meaningful use of this, just drummers toying around with that.

But yes! There are some very interesting things both of you mentioned! Thank you!

Comment

Artistic value? What do you mean? Besides customizing your setup and changing it on the fly, and playing/triggering sounds from the entire world of sounds (not just drums) and changing thos eon the fly....not sure what else you need!!! The lost goes on and on as far as things like portability and volume control on stage, or volume control anywhere where drum volume needs to be low but still allows you to play full strength with all the expressiveness you want. Can't do that in a coffee shop with a A kit...always gonna be too loud!

Not sure I understand your question tho.

K ;-)
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by DrStackVanHay View Post
            just drummers toying around with that.
            None of the things I mentioned were "toying around". They were real things that I've done live on stage...
            *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
            DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Loads o' synth modules and FX. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

What Kenster said...

... based on changing things on the fly, I've dialed in a large ride cymbal onto my 2nd floor tom, because a particular song, the low ride was easier to play.
              I convert my BT-1 cowbell, crash, claps, etc, on the fly.
              I can design and dial in my kit variations to specific songs, on the fly.

Comment

I have two hihats linked to the same hihat control pedal - left and right HH - and panned as such in the output. This gives a lot of freedom and allows for creativity and great grooves and adds life and a really nice stereo effect to the hh- and reduces machine gunning.
                Main HH is on the right. I have a footswitch next to my right kick pedal, that fixes the main hihat for when I use my double pedal and allowing me to still control my left.
                And that is rather easy to do on my TD-30 - but would be, if not impossible, quite difficult to do on an a-kit.
                Last edited by qcaze; 01-12-17, 07:18 AM.
                Roland TD-30/TD-6/SPD-SX - BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, Triggera D14, 14 inch DIY snare

Comment

layering any sounds ...trigger sounds/loops/samples ... no need percussionists

Comment

It's all about as much creative freedom as possible IMO.
                    TD-9_stealth Yamaha, HPD-15, HPD-10, Octapad etc.

Comment

An excellent excuse to post a vid I made a while back.

Cheers
                      MOTM

TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Comment

Gated sounds probably deserve special mention here. Despite being such a well-established part of recorded acoustic drum sound, they're hard to produce live on an acoustic kit in a modestly-sized venue, right?

Comment

I run at least 5 triggers through two drum pedals, and I play lots of sounds using my feet. Also, I can smoke the world's record for speed by more than 100 strokes per minute. Way more.
                          Only with electronic drums.
                          Last edited by Drumagination; 01-13-17, 02:32 AM.
                          2000 Watt Carvin powered Electronic Bass Drum,
                          built-in DM10 drum module,
                          Double TwinSteele Electronic drum pedals
                          Footless High-Hat
                          Drumagination.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

1 thing i can only do with edrums is be able to play them where i live because if i played acoustic drums i would be homeless.
                            updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum triggers on floor tom and kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

Working...
                            X