Looking For My First E Drum Set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For My First E Drum Set

Been looking for a while now and haven't decided. Always news of something great coming out but nothing great usually does. Looking for something just to practice with but don't want a toy. Maybe playing out at some point in the future but nothing set in stone. Been a long time since I played so will be doing tons of practicing to get back into things.

I know Yamaha has different zones on the snare and toms where you can hit the rim for different sounds (splash, cowbell etc), does Roland have the same thing? Also can trigger a sound sample like trumpets playing or whatever when a certain rim is hit, does Roland have this capability?

Any suggestions for Yamaha and Roland sets? Any price range is fine, just want that real set feel with the bigger pads etc.

Hiya

"any price range is fine" Really? $600 or $6000? What's your actual comfortable budget?

Once you've picked a price point, go onto the Yamaha and Roland websites where you'll find all the manuals for the products free of charge. If you download those that fit your budget you'l be able to see the features each offers, e.g. multi-zone capabilities, etc

THEN go and play some. If you want "real" (edrums *are* "real"!) feel, then that's down to your personal taste or silcon, vs. mesh, vs. various rubber compounds.

Good luck in your endeavours.
    *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
    DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Easy for me to spend your money but there is a little saying - "Buy your second kit first". It helps with future GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) purchases.

Good luck and Happy Drumming....

Comment

As the others have rightfully said - unfortunately, there is no one set that works for everyone.
        So many different options are available simply because there is use for each of them. Even if you had unlimited funds, it would still be difficult to give a common recommendation.
        You'll have to get involved and then ask more specific questions. And then read all the different comments and opinions, and then try to actually try out as much as you can before forming your own.
        And, of course, all of us wish you lots of fun along the way.

All I can offer is probably not worth the proverbial $0.02. That is my (brief and limited) experience with V-drums. The link is in my signature.
        My very first set was purchased after reading for a week, setting up an approximate price range, and playing some five different models in the store. Right now I can't believe that I used to have a feeling that the silicone pads of TD-1 had a more realistic and bouncier feel than the mesh heads of the more expensive models.
        Now I prefer to purchase a used pad, play if for a few weeks, several hours at a time, and then see how it feels. Also, perhaps more importantly, how it feels *in combination with other pads*.

Perhaps it really is the best if you spend hours at a store, over the period of two weeks, for example. But probably even then you will not know for sure where you will end up. But at least you will be able to make that first step. Happy journey!
        Last edited by alensiljak; 12-26-16, 03:54 PM.
        https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...44011-my-kit-s

Comment

Originally posted by bmlocal175 View Post
          Any price range is fine, just want that real set feel with the bigger pads etc.
          Go straight to a conversion kit.

I "wasted" a couple years fooling around with E kits and their tiny pads. If I had it to do over, I'd go straight to a conversion kit. It's really very simple and inexpensive.

Buy a cheap off brand kit, add piezo trigers and start playing!

Last edited by New Tricks; 12-27-16, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New Tricks View Post
            Go straight to a conversion kit.
            I "wasted" a couple years fooling around with E kits and their tiny pads. If I had it to do over, I'd go straight to a conversion kit. It's really very simple and inexpensive.
            Buy a cheap off brand kit, add piezo trigers and start playing!
            Right, this is a great option if you have enough space.
            I would love to do the same but it is impossible due to the size of the set.
            Just recently saw a Millennium shell set for 90 Euros!
            https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...44011-my-kit-s

Comment

My E kits had pretty much the same footprint as my A kits.

Comment

Didn't want to get into the whole conversion thing even it was simple.

Let me ask you guys this. Do any of the Roland modules have separate triggers for head and rim? I looked in the manuals and couldn't find anything. So that tells me, no, you can't assign a cowbell or wav sample to a tom rim or any of the rims. Can you change the bell sound to a different instrument on any of the cymbals?

I was leaning towards Yamaha looking things up last year, then now moved to Roland but if that is the case with the rim triggers, I think I need to look at Yamaha again.

Guitar Center has 1 of each setup so I'm going to check them out soon and get a feel for the set but I really like that feature.

Did they stop making the 30KV, only can find the 30k without going on ebay and such?

Price range I guess is the 700-900 series and the 25kv-30k.

Comment

Yes, Roland modules have standard 1/4 jacks have head and rim triggers. I know the latest TD50 has some new digital thing so not sure how that works yet, but all other module, all inputs are dual. If separating out to expand you kit you will need special cables like Drumsplitters brand to make one input jack (stereo) become two mono jacks. I've done this with splash and additional cymbals on my kit where the cymbals are not needed to be dual zone, or with a few drums where I only need the head trigger and not the rim...gives me double the inputs!

As for other sounds triggered other than drums (like cows mooing)...You will need to run your module thru midi like thru a sample pad (SPDS or SPD-X for example) or a PC. Or you can do like I do and use the SPDs as a stand alone trigger for off sounds and samples. Sits right next to me on stage!

If you plan on playing out at some point, for looks, you will most likely want mesh heads which means Roland (expensive unless used) or buying./building your own inside regular A kit as suggested in pics above. Yamaha has great feeling and playing TCS pads but not sure how an entire kit of that looks on stage...never seen it!
                  If money is no object I'd look for a used TD20x, or splurge for a TD30. If you have a little time the Pearl Mimic Pro comes out soon and seems to be THE module everyone has been waiting for.

K
                  My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                  E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                  A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                  A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

At the range of Roland modules that you're interested in, everything is dual-zone (triple on the ride), so yes you can assign separate sounds to the rims vs. the heads. As far as percussion instruments go, I've owned TD9, TD20x and TD30 and they all have a wide variety of percussion instruments on-board (including cowbells). As far as loading your own samples, the TD50 is the only full-blown Roland module that I know of that supports that. That said, I just learned yesterday that the TM-2 (which sells for all of $199) allows you to load your own samples and has MIDI in/out, so you could midi over to that from your main module to trigger your own samples.

As far as whether Roland stopped making the 30KV, it's a pretty safe bet that at this point they've shifted manufacturing over to the 50. As for the KV part, which refers to the pads, cymbals, rack and hardware, all that stuff is still relevant to/compatible with the 50. However, the snare and ride are being replaced by digital versions in the 50.

One last thing. Since this will be your first electronic kit you may want to consider buying gently used 2nd-hand gear this time around. I say this for a variety of reasons. There's new gear on the horizon (like the Pearl Mimic Pro) that looks really interesting and may have you rethinking things in the not-too-distant future. Also, with this being your first electronic kit there are probably going to be things/features that you think are really important that don't turn out to be. Conversely, there may be things that you overlook (or haven't yet tuned your ear to) that turn out to make you crazy and wanting to swap out a piece of gear. It's really difficult to know until you've had a chance to live with this stuff. But if that's going to happen, my sense is that its best to have done that on gear where someone else has already taken a large chunk of the depreciation hit.

I can tell you that every electronic kit and module I've owned I got 2nd-hand. I've never regretted any of those decisions. The Roland gear stands up really well and there seems to be a good aftermarket for it. I think the key is to be patient for the good deals, and to monitor things like eBay, Craigslist and the classifieds on this forum. (Full disclosure: I have some gear up for sale, but I would give you the exact same advice if that weren't the case. As I've said, this has been my personal strategy -- it's served me well).

Hope that helps. Good luck!
                    TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Comment

See that's where it gets confusing with the rim vs head sound. I've read posts on this forum saying you can't assign a different sound(instrument)on the rim, then there are posts like yours saying you can. Can't find any videos on the Roland modules confirming either. I know the Yamaha can assign different sounds to all the zones but can't for the life of me get an answer for the Roland.

Comment

It is only the Td25 where you cannot assign different sounds to the rim. The Td50k might be found as low as $4200 and has a 14 inch snare and 18 inch ride. If you are considering a Mimic pro module then maybe get a used TD30. I would try to go above a Td25 if possible.

Comment

So the TD 30 module can assign different sounds to each rim? Is there a video of this or documentation in a manual somewhere because I can't find it.

What about a sound file like trumpets playing? Is there a way to load that into a Roland module and hit a rim to trigger it to play?

Comment

The Roland TD-30 does not have the ability to import and play your own samples. The Yamaha DTX900 and the new Roland TD-50 have the ability to load your own audio files.
                            Yamaha DTXtreme III Special Kit

Comment

Originally posted by bmlocal175 View Post
                              So the TD 30 module can assign different sounds to each rim? Is there a video of this or documentation in a manual somewhere because I can't find it.

What about a sound file like trumpets playing? Is there a way to load that into a Roland module and hit a rim to trigger it to play?
                              Ahhh..I see your confusion. YES, all Roland modules allow you to assign different sounds to head and rim. So you can have a drum sound on the head and a cymbal sound on the rim (I have a couple of splash sounds assigned to rims of my floor toms).

Here is the confusing part....the sounds assigned HAVE TO COME FROM THE INTERNAL BUILT IN SOUNDS OF THE MODULE. As far as I know, Roland does not have trumpet sounds in any of their modules (maybe in the TD30 or TD50?). So, if you want sounds OTHER THAN what comes stock in the module, you CAN assign them to different heads rims but you must go thru MIDI thru a PC and some kinda drum software to do it, or thru an SPDs or SPDX as I said earlier. This is how you get custom sounds INTO (actually played thru) your module. In this way you are not loading sounds into the module, you are using the module to tell the external PC or SPDX to play a certain sound when a cetain drum head or rim is struck. Roland modules are the BEST at sending these kinds of commands...no latency!!!

I have no familiarity with the TD50 and I'm not sure what sounds you can load into it, if at all. That has been the big issue with Roland (and other modules) is no way to load you own sounds, you're stuck with what comes in the module. You can play external devices THRU the module, effectively giving you what you're after, but those sounds are not IN the module itself. The module is just directing your external devices via midi to play whatever sounds you have assigned and how and when. No loading into the module itself.

Hope that clears it up.

Ken
                              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                              X