Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

My debut using a Handsonic HPD-20 as a full kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hah, missed this before I posted in the other thread. I'm still using mine too - as a full kit replacement. Last sunday morn I stood up while playing, since I don't use pedals any more. I also had to spend a lot of time with it to get it to sound decent, but it does have decent sounds in there, they require a lot of coaxing, kinda like any Roland drum module I guess.
    Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
    Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
    Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Kurth83.

I attend a percussion Group and was heard about it from my tutor. I nearly bought a Handsonic but I thought an Ekit would suit me better, as that is what I am used to playing. I am aware the Handsonic has its advantages though.
      WM

Comment

My last performance on the HPD-20 (for now), was a few weeks back. Now we are using A's. See my other thread. :-)
        All I have to take to gigs now are a few pairs of sticks, and a clamp-on stick holder for the music stand, they provide the rest. :-)
        It's temporary though, I think the HPD-20 will make a return sometime in the next year. If I can pick up a used mimic pro cheap,
        I want to use the HPD-20 as a midi controller for it, that would amp up the sounds considerably.
        Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
        Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
        Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

I have an HPD-20 and use it to emulate a full drum kit, without pedals. I’ve thought about adding an external sound module, but I wonder if it would benefit from external module as a regular Vdrum kit might. I don’t know anything about this. I know I’d be connecting it with midi. Is that how external modules connect to other Vdrum kits? Or is it directly from the triggers? I ask this because in the little experimenting I’ve done in using external sounds with my hpd connected to my Mac, it has never sounded as good or playable as the hpd’s internal sounds. Is there something inherent to Roland’s SuperNATURAL engine that goes beyond midi? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jwo View Post
            I have an HPD-20 and use it to emulate a full drum kit, without pedals. I’ve thought about adding an external sound module, but I wonder if it would benefit from external module as a regular Vdrum kit might. I don’t know anything about this. I know I’d be connecting it with midi. Is that how external modules connect to other Vdrum kits? Or is it directly from the triggers? I ask this because in the little experimenting I’ve done in using external sounds with my hpd connected to my Mac, it has never sounded as good or playable as the hpd’s internal sounds. Is there something inherent to Roland’s SuperNATURAL engine that goes beyond midi? Thanks.
            i thought in hdp-20, you can load wav sample files, have you try this? hdp-20 have plenty of built-in sound with superNatural engine already. what other sounds do you need/want to have in hdp20? Have you try SSD3 install in your MAC and trigger using your hdp20?

Comment

Working...
            X