Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Ian Paice Roland TD-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Paice Roland TD-30

http://youtu.be/6KzXNY8k3Aw
    TD-15KV. VEX Evolution. Jobeky Prestige Custom Dual Zone 13" eDrum. PDX-100 X 2. PD-85BK X 2 KD-9 X 1. VH-11. CY-12C X 2. CY-13R. Tama speed cobra. Pearl HI Hat

No matter who plays them, They will still sound the same................. Next
    Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
    Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
    Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Where it all falls apart is the toms. If Roland removed the synthetic sound and machine gunning from the toms, this kit would be pretty convincing. As it is, every time the toms come into the equation, the machine gunning yanks me out of the illusion.

Side note: The bass drum tends to machine gun a lot, too. However, Paice doesn't do much intricate bass drum work in the demo so the machine gunning is well hidden. Sonically, the bottom line is Roland has to get rid of machine gunning before they can get anywhere else. As I've written many times, with machine gunning present, it doesn't matter how much the sounds improve because the gunning instantly kills any sense of acoustic realism.

Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-08-15, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Seems Roland is now trying to fool you into thinking their outdated recycled Vdrums are great because they have big name industry talent playing them..... Nice try Roland, but that sure doesnt make me want to run out and by a TD-Recycled any time soon just because hes playing them LOL..... How about show us an updated module with TODAYS TECH ?!?!
        Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
        Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
        Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

(Accidental post. Deleted by author, TDM.)
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-08-15, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I get the sense that Ian Paice has not played an E drum kit since the 80s. He seems sincerely impressed with things like " I can play a buzz roll on it" . It is probably good marketing for Roland to get people over 55 to 65 years old to look at Edrums who may have never played them before. I am 53 and know who he is but I doubt very many people know him that are younger than me.

Comment

yep, the toms are a bust.
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Watch it I'm getting close to 55 ;-) I have the TD30 and the toms are what let it down big time
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Peter Warren wrote:
                  It is probably good marketing for Roland to get people over 55 to 65 years old to look at Edrums who may have never played them before. I am 53 and know who he (Ed: Ian Paice) is but I doubt very many people know him that are younger than me.
                  I suspect Roland realizes they can't sell $8,000 USD V-Drums technology to teenagers and young adults. This demographic cannot afford those kinds of prices. This is, of course, the key problem with V-Drums technology and how Roland has developed and priced that technology. Unless you get these flagship V-Drums into the hands of the younger generation, new music coming up won't use them. It's a repeating pattern. Roland keeps the prices high and thus younger (and dare I say it... mainstream drummers) don't use V-Drums. As long as the mainstream avoids V-Drums, it's likely Roland can't bring the price down.

Offering lower priced, toy-sized kits (such as the TD-25 and lower) doesn't solve the problem. For starters, at $3,000 USD and upward, TD-25 kits are just as inaccessible to the younger generation as TD-30 kits. That's a huge amount of money to a young drummer. More importantly, V-Drums in general don't yet provide sound, playability, and affordability that competes with acoustic drums. So here you've got a young drummer who can get a fantastic sounding acoustic kit for $800 USD, but a less than adequate electronic kit costs an order of magnitude more, at $8,000 USD. It's easy to see why Roland uses people like Ian Paice to push the technology at older drummers who've presumably accumulated more wealth. I looked at V-Drums for multiple decades and, due to their high cost, considered them nothing more than pure fantasy. I didn't remotely consider saving for them because the price was so out of line with my "saving ability" as to be totally unreachable. As I got older, that changed, but this underlines my point above. Drummers coming up don't consider V-Drums because the usable kits are priced so far out of their reach.

Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-09-15, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                    I get the sense that Ian Paice has not played an E drum kit since the 80s. He seems sincerely impressed with things like " I can play a buzz roll on it" . It is probably good marketing for Roland to get people over 55 to 65 years old to look at Edrums who may have never played them before. I am 53 and know who he is but I doubt very many people know him that are younger than me.
                    I'm 35 and I know who Ian Paice is.

Comment

Originally posted by White_Pointer View Post
                      I'm 35 and I know who Ian Paice is.

Fair enough, but I think Peter Warren is correct. It's likely young drummers won't know who Ian Paice is and, similarly, they may not know of Deep Purple, either. This marketing campaign is aimed at older, wealthier drummers than the generation coming up. Given the high prices for V-Drums, this makes sense.
                      Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-09-15, 07:06 PM.

Comment

And even worse, if you maybe *know* who he is, do you even care unless you're a fanatic drum enthusiast? Not necessarily "killing it" for me as far as pimping the goodness of Roland, and I'm already a fan and have a flagship kit.

Ugh.

K ;-)
                        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Mau View Post
                          Thanks for that Mau. From another old one. Paice is one of my Gods.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post

Thanks for that Mau. From another old one. Paice is one of my Gods.
                            I saw him doing a clinic many many years ago when we both looked a lot younger. He was the first pro drummer at a clinic that I had seen and it made me realise how technical they really are.
                            TD-15KV. VEX Evolution. Jobeky Prestige Custom Dual Zone 13" eDrum. PDX-100 X 2. PD-85BK X 2 KD-9 X 1. VH-11. CY-12C X 2. CY-13R. Tama speed cobra. Pearl HI Hat

Comment

Originally posted by yzf125 View Post
                              Seems Roland is now trying to fool you into thinking their outdated recycled Vdrums are great because they have big name industry talent playing them..... Nice try Roland, but that sure doesnt make me want to run out and by a TD-Recycled any time soon just because hes playing them LOL..... How about show us an updated module with TODAYS TECH ?!?!
                              This is precisely why I am completely content with my TD-9, and until Roland does an actual upgrade, in my opinion, an actual upgrade that is an actual upgrade, as when I played the 30 I do not feel or hear anything significantly different, other than the price tag, I am not going to upgrade and shall be and continue to be completely content and happy with my TD-9 module.
                              TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

Working...
                              X