Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folding chairs for drum thrones = cramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding chairs for drum thrones = cramps

SO I"m using, or at least attempting to, a folding chair for my drum throne... The kind wrestlers hit each other upside the head with. These are posing a problem for me and are making drumming experiences uncomfortable. Eek. LOL. When I play, my thighs are either horizontal or angling downwards, but sitting in this chair angles them upwards. I might as well sit on the floor! LOL. I will get a throne eventually... Just not sure what I'd get but it'd be a budget start. Not even sure what's out there. I have an Air Lift for my DW kit, but jeez, can't afford another one of those.

Sitting in a chair makes me feel like I can't move. Sitting in a chair with arms... OH hell no... Forget that!
    Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Ouch!

Be careful you dont cause a back injury sitting so low down or you wont be drumming at all till it heals. Wont help your technique either!

Budget thrones can be so inexpensive.

Comment

You don't need a massively expensive drum throne really. As long as it's solidly built and holds your weight, and is easily height adjustable, it doesn't matter too much. You don't need something fancy if you can't afford to go down that path. Just don't go too cheap and get a no name brand thing, make sure you actually get a brand name product. But there's nothing wrong with the lower price range of the brand name products.

Comment

Another thing that really help me was adding a "backrest" on my Roc-n-Soc -- but it was a bit pricey.

Comment

Save and don't scirmp on your throne Gerad. Your back will pay the price if you do. Roc N Soc Lunar with a back rest is an investment that will last you lifetime....and your back and legs will thank you.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I've never sat on a throne with a back rest. Do you actually lean back onto it as you play?

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
              I've never sat on a throne with a back rest. Do you actually lean back onto it as you play?
              With the Tama Ergo-Rider Quartet with Backrest I have, you can angle the backrest so it gives you support as you play without having to lean back. Not sure about the other backrests, but they don't seem angle adjustable.

Comment

I had on old chair on my acoustic kit. Ouch. I bought a second Roc-N-Soc.
                Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Cant you just take your Akit throne to use on your Es ??????? I like my throne to be able to swivel a bit.

Comment

I could do that, but I don't because I never think about it when I'm at rehearsal, but of course I will normally get done with a 6 hour+ rehearsal when I do.
                    Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

Dude, stop scrimping and pony up for a real throne, "you're killing me , Smalls!"

Let us know what you get! I second on the Roc N Soc...I got the Nitro as I didn't want the 5-arm-office-chair-style base.

K
                      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                      X