Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The six-second solo that's been copied in 1,500 songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The six-second solo that's been copied in 1,500 songs

Six seconds that shaped 1,500 songs

Bruce

Yea I remember doing that myself. Back in the day mate.

Comment

Here's a clip of what is actually sounds like since the article didn't seem to have any links.

https://youtu.be/5SaFTm2bcac?t=1m20s

K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Blah, blah, blah-bity-blah.

First, that drum beat, though postulated that it was "invented" by this band back in '69, probably wasn't the first band who recorded this beat. Because they didn't have the internet during the flower child era, and thusly huge access to all kinds of information, other bands, their music, etc. I'm sure these guys think they invented some magical and new drum beat for the ages. Truth is, they probably didn't. Someone else played this beat before them. Now that we have the internet, I'm sure someone who has way more time than me will find a recording of a similar beat that was laid down prior to 1969.

Secondly, this beat was recorded on a B-side track that even the band recognizes as "little known." Did someone randomly hear it one day and use that beat as inspiration for one of their songs. Sure, maybe... But to believe that everyone who has drummed this beat, or sampled this beat said, "Yeah, man. I was listening to the Winston's one day and I came across their track "Amen, Brother" and heard the drum solo in the middle. I was BLOWN AWAY with that awesome beat and completely shaped my music around it." Hell, no.

Thirdly, lets talk about this band, "The Winstons". Has anyone here ever heard of them? No? I didn't think so. You want to know why? Because they only recorded ONE ALBUM. They are talking about feeling "ripped off and raped" over one random beat on a B-side. Are they thinking they deserve some sort of back pay and copyright usage fees for it? Honestly, if they wanted to make more money, they should have wrote and recorded more albums. They should have been more influential than a random beat off a B-side.

Think of all the amazing music that was coming out in the late 60's that has shaped the music we have today. Do you see these bands coming out in droves about being ripped off for what music is created today? No. They are rock legends who will go to the grave knowing that the music they created inspired and influenced not only their listeners, but other musicians. They re-shaped music, culture, and society. They don't say, "Well, I deserve money because I came up with the "3 chord song." I invented A/D/G chord progression. I own it."

Seriously, Winstons, sit down and be quiet. You don't own a beat. You likely didn't invent that beat either.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

Hey, guess what!?! I just thought of a song that uses this same beat. And you know who wrote it? Elvis F'n Presley. Its this little tune, a not so well known one, called "A little less Conversation." I dont think it was even played on the radio ever, its so unknown. You want to know when it was written and released? 1968!!!!!

I'm sure Elvis is rolling in his grave feeling ripped off and raped over the use of his beat in in over 1500... wait... 1501 songs. But really, this Elvis guy probably wasnt very influential. I mean, he probably only made a couple songs that didnt sell nearly as well as Amen, Brother.

Hey Winstons! Quit 'yer yappin'!
          I think my work is done here.

Comment

I think the most important point about the Amen break isn't necessarily the rhythm of the beat itself, but rather, the production and feel of it on that recording. Sure, the combination of notes creates the rhythm itself, but the way it was produced is equally important. There is no disputing that the production and recoring itself is original material. So, the sampling and reproduction of that original recording for profit, IMHO, constitutes theft.
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Well, it couldn't have been recorded on a TD30, it would have had machine gunning for sure.

K ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
                They don't say, "Well, I deserve money because I came up with the "3 chord song." I invented A/D/G chord progression. I own it."

Comment

THAT WAS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!

K ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X