Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm part of the problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm part of the problem...

I'd love to buy a Drummit5. Not crazy about the aesthetics of it, but it plays great and the sound! Mindblowing. So what's been stopping me from putting my DTX900 on ebay and pulling the trigger? The 2Box site looks dead to me. Far as I can tell, nothing has happened in two years. Site hasn't changed, no new announcements. (Well, I guess last year at NAMM they had some new colors? but I don't think that ever materialized.) But on the other hand, if folks just like me don't adopt, how is a company going to go from fledgling to powerhouse? Catch-22. So I guess I'm part of the problem.
    robpagecreative.com

You're not paying attention then. New firmware update being BETA tested...and there has been steady updates yearly. 2Box is so far ahead of the curve with their current module and "True" open architecture system that you really can't go wrong with a module purchase. As far as aesthetics...just get the module and Jman's HH controller box then DIY the look you like or pick up some used pads that have been proven compatible. Oh...save your Yammy cymbals...they work great with the 2Box.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I am looking forward to the 2Box update. My snare triggers like crap. I have been blaming the 2 ply Roland head and offset/shell mounted trigger, but in all honesty, its the trigger settings. There are no current trigger settings that work well with 2 ply heads on drums larger than 10 inches. Supposedly, there are some new trigger settings that should fix this issue.

Other than that, positional sensing, if only on the snare, is really a must on this module. I haven't found any VST programs that support positional sensing in their software, so I'm not sure how you could simulate the varied sounds as you move from the center to the edge of the drum, but its got to get in there. The snare just doesn't feel realistic, IMO, without this feature.

Speaking of looking dead, what is Roland doing with the TD-30? That thing has received no attention since its introduction, which was something like 2-3 years ago. Are they even looking in to a firmware update to turn off the snare wires on the Bank A snares? Seriously, this should have been in the module right from the launch. I figured they would have had an update by now to fix this issue.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

There are VSTs out there that support positional sensing on the snare.

For my part, after two years of looking around and trying different stuff, I've finally found the perfect foam that triggers amazingly for my DTX700 side mounted piezos. Yep, that long... I guess that's the price to pay for a DIY kit. I've had close enough, but never perfect. Will the foam keep its integrity and trigger well over time... don't know yet...

For me, I wish there was positional sensing on the HH. Besides the snare, that's where all VSTs fall short... Doing a believable tom or kick, that's ok, a snare is harder, but the HH... not there yet.

Ronnie, as I see it, there are a few ways to look at it.

A company wanting to get recognition for what they did will want customers to buy their product.

If the sales are poor, they can say they missed the boat and call it quits. If the sales are great, they can pad themselves on the back and say "mission accomplished".
        If the sales are average, that's where it gets interesting....

If the company is there to make a quick buck, that will be the end of it.

If they are driven in making the best product out there, they will continue and hope that the next revision will bring in more people.... and never stop doing so until fate makes them stop.

DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

FYI I saw different colored pads at NAMM this year for 2Box but of course, NO ONE was at the booth to answer questions and I couldn't play it as in, not allowed to sit behind kit, (not that I can't PLAY lol). There was a schedule of featured artists who were coming by to play throughout the show but I never got to the booth during those very sparse times. I too wish the 2Box had a better aesthetic to the module but you can't beat what it does.

K
          Last edited by Kenster; 04-03-15, 10:37 AM.
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

History indicates we will be waiting a minimum of 9 months until we get "any idea" if there be a TD-30 upgrade or TD-40.
            Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 03-30-15, 12:29 PM.
            ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
            ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
            PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
              History indicates we will be waiting a minimum of 9 months until we get "any idea" if there be a TD-30 upgrade or TD-40.
              History actually tells us that it will be about 6-8 years between Flagships for Roland. The TD-30 came out in 2012 so start expecting something new between 2018 & 2020.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
                I am looking forward to the 2Box update. My snare triggers like crap. I have been blaming the 2 ply Roland head and offset/shell mounted trigger, but in all honesty, its the trigger settings. There are no current trigger settings that work well with 2 ply heads on drums larger than 10 inches. Supposedly, there are some new trigger settings that should fix this issue.
                I use Roland 2 ply heads on my own build since 2011 and I am very happy with the triggering. There are more triggering parameter options coming though in the new update when released that do tend to make the module more adaptable to different trigger builds. I still much prefer a center mount build response to side mount. I have tested both types side by side many different times with many variations and always have preferred center mount. With the new trigger options I have also tested my own Drop in Pan build with excellent results, so that should help make the module even more compatible with the Roland basket type pads. J
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                X