Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gretch Catalina Birch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gretch Catalina Birch

A couple of years ago I purchased some odd sized toms someone had built into Edrums. They were set up dual zone cone triggers and nicely done, even had magnum heads. Now I have pirated a couple of things for my regular use ekit that has smaller but full sized toms. the question is :
    The Gretch toms I have laying around are sized 8", 13", 14" and 16". My plan, turn the 16 into a bass and cut the others in half giving me two 8" effects pads, 13" snare, 13" tom, and two 14" toms. Really a whole other kit and I happen to have four of triggeras triggers sitting here. any reason NOT to cut these suckers in half. All opinion welcome and full disclosure I don't need another drum kit but it sure is fun making them!!
    E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

Cut baby cut!
    If it turns out good it could be a money maker instead of just taking up space. Why deny yourself the "fun" of doing it?
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

If you have the means to do it, I say go for it.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

I could never bring myself to cut into a drum! I prefer to keep them intact and turn them into something else useable, like a table, but the idea of cutting them makes me feel sad. Cutting them does make sense, I just couldn't do it.
        Kaiju
        Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

Always better to use a drum as a drum than a table. IMO. I did feel a little bad cutting up a cymbal to make chokes thinking that it would make a good target for a newbi drummer but I got over that pretty quick as my gen 16s sound good now as trigger Besides it was a pulse cymbal and I think Darwin had it right.
          E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

Comment

If I had a perfectly good Akit then there would be no way Id it'd cut it up. A few odd drums though thats different. Go for it.

Comment

I wouldn't cut unless you absolutely need to. In fact, what you have there is a great little acoustic jungle kit! I have just built one using a 16" Gretch Floor tom as the bass, and with two Gretsch toms (10" handing and 14" floor tom). Used it at band practice last week and had a blast.

. digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

I'm not sure that a Gretch birch kit is anything I want to play acoustically but I could be wrong. I have a great A kit in a Mapex Orion Classic 10, 12, 14. 16 toms and 22 bass. I can mix that up all I need. The truth is my mapex sits in its road cases most of the time. I practice on roland mesh kit and I have my DIY kit at the studio and for most gigs. I play small venues now and don't mic my drums, the e kit allows me to have a great sound fairly easily.

Comment

Let me go "Good Cop - Bad Cop" on you. Let's assume you picked these toms up for little investment. If they're in good shape you could potentially profit from the sale of individual pieces on eBay. If someone has a four or five piece A-kit and would like to add a tom, they'll pay good money to have a matching piece. However you can stretch your DIY dollar considerably by splitting the toms. If you add trim to the bottoms they'll still look great and you get a nice compact kit. Personally, I'd look at the going prices on eBay before I started the saw.
                  Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

Originally posted by bwilburn79 View Post
                    Let's assume you picked these toms up for little investment. If they're in good shape you could potentially profit from the sale of individual pieces on eBay. If someone has a four or five piece A-kit and would like to add a tom, they'll pay good money to have a matching piece. Personally, I'd look at the going prices on eBay before I started the saw.
                    I agree. A few times in the past I wanted to pick up an additional tom or 3 for a kit that I had for a few years and usually the only place you will find that is used on eBay. That makes single toms a fairly valuable/desirable item:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...h+Tom&_sacat=0
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks guys. I did check out ebay for selling because I always need more $$, currently its a 2box fund and some reliable triggers for my gen 16s that the above has quoted me. There are plenty of Catalina's for sale on ebay but I'm yet to see many sell, or at least for a price that is more than my value in using them. Another words they sell for under $50 from the couple I've seen go. Ebay used to cost me money to list if I sell the stuff or not, not sure if that still stands, im more of a hoarder than a seller. I will continue to not cut them up because I need to instal a new finish blade on the saw and with my priorities that may take me weeks Besides what am I gong to do with my intriggs if I don't cut these up? I hate to convert the my Mapex

Comment

Working...
                      X