Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original 1930 Leedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original 1930 Leedy

I'll be going home in February for vacation, and I have already planned some drumming time!

I'll be learning some jazzy beats with a guy who has been playing for over 50 years, and on his kit, a 1930 original Leedy kit. I can't wait to hear the sounds coming out of those classics shells.

He told me everything on his kit is original, and he already has a bunch of people interested in buying that kit!

I've always wanted to learn some jazzy shuffle, but never quite got around to do so. February will be time for something new!
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Take some video and pics!!!

K
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Oh, I'm so jealous!
      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Wow, 1930. Cool! I thought I was balling with my 1967 Ludwig champagne sparkle kt with a chrome snare!

Comment

Sounds good! Hope it all goes well with learning jazz. I'm learning jazz beats too at the moment but just from YouTube vids. It's quite a tricky style to play!

Comment

The kit used to have REAL skin for drum heads. The original ones are waaayyy too dry now, so they have been replaced with mylar ones...

Comment

Too bad my old skin can't be replaced lol.

K
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

I am not going with acoustic skin, only E skin. so I will be going with mesh instead of skin.lol!

Comment

Of all the acoustic snare drums I own, my favourite is a 1953 Leedy. It's got a certain character that none of my more modern drums have. The modern snare drums have much better projection, but the Leedy has warmth and texture in spades. It's my favourite snare drum for low volume situations. Perceval, I think you're in for a good time. Hope you have fun studying and playing on that kit. :-)

Comment

My old 60s Ajax kit had velum skins. You had to retune them every time you played cause the damp or heat effected them.

Last edited by John.b; 12-25-14, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I would love to see some pictures of the Leedy kit and the 67 Ludwig kit. I previously posted pictures of my old Ludwig & Ludwig Pioneer bass drum with real skin heads and my Ludwig & Ludwig snare that I currently have set up with a 1968 Premier bass drum.
                      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Sorry! I jumped the gun a bit as I will be there in February... so pics will have to wait a bit!

Comment

Perceval,
                          It sounds really cool. I am looking forward to your report and photograph. Have fun!
                          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Well, 22 hours stuck on some of these tiny airplane seats, and I'm finally here.

Had to take the ipad out and take a shot.

Here's a teaser.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

We want more!!

Comment

Working...
                              X