Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-electronic drums people crack me up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-electronic drums people crack me up!

So, I've had my TD-20/2Box module combo long enough to do several gigs now. Recently, I completed my first DIY build with a really nice looking Mapex kit I found used on Craigslist. The first practice we had after my build was complete, the guys were oohing and ahhing over how great the kit looked when my bass player looked up at me and in all seriousness, says, "they look awesome, how do they sound?"

I had to compose myself to keep from laughing and just said, "uh, they're electronic. They sound just like they did before. They only LOOK different."

The funny thing is, I've had a couple people ask me the same question! I don't think they quite get it when you show them an acoustic looking kit that is actually electronic.

Mark
    www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Originally posted by daebado View Post
    I don't think they quite get it when you show them an acoustic looking kit that is actually electronic.

Mark
    Yeah, but that is a good thing. For many the goal is to have the advantages that go along with electronic drums, but the look and feel of an acoustic kit. Years ago I setup an entertainment group that specialize in corporate parties, mega weddings, (with guests ranging from politicians, actors, pro ball players, etc). with a Stealth drumkit (using a nice DW kit for the conversion). The band is very conscious of their look and stage presence as well as the quality of the sound. They wanted to go to electronic drums so they could reduce the on stage volume and take advantage of the other plusses, like 100 different kit/sound choices at the turn of a dial, but the typical Electronic Drumkit look just wasn't an option for them.

I accompanied the band to quite a few of their gigs as a drum tech when they were transitioning their various drummers from acoustic drums to the new Stealth kit. I liked to go out into the crowd later on in the night and ask a few people how they liked the drums. The response was always the same, they loved the kit and sound. None of the people I talked to even realized it was an electronic kit.

But as far as the bandmate's comment........ what do you expect? He's a bass player ..... nuf said

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Yep, That's what I have been saying for awhile now. The common listener does not care or know the difference in the sound between acoustic / electronic / module / VST.
      That is why when I see all the posts about such things it really cracks me up. There are of course reasons for each type but the listener is not usually one of them.
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

... But as far as the bandmate's comment........ what do you expect? He's a bass player ..... nuf said
        Hey, but wait ... Bass players go nuts when asked if it's harder gigging with a 5-string bass, given 25% more strings to play. Fair is fair, so let's go easy on musicians of other persuasions or we'll only be jamming with other drummers.

Comment

Originally posted by OneWatt View Post

Hey, but wait ... Bass players go nuts when asked if it's harder gigging with a 5-string bass, given 25% more strings to play. Fair is fair, so let's go easy on musicians of other persuasions or we'll only be jamming with other drummers.
          HA! That'll never happen until they lay off the drummer jokes...which will never happen either.

Back to the OP....EXACTLY! Just as I have always said...the best of both worlds....especially now with the 2Box.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

JMan, love it! Ding the bass player baby lol.
            K
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
              JMan, love it! Ding the bass player baby lol.
              K
              But isn't the bass player supposed to be a drummer's best friend? ... if you can't get along the rest of the band doesn't stand a chance!

Comment

Just being funny and dramatic...bass players and drummers are in the pocket and the backbone of any good band. IMHO.
                K ;-)
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
                  Just being funny and dramatic...bass players and drummers are in the pocket and the backbone of any good band. IMHO.
                  K ;-)
                  Understood ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X