Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you play that song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you play that song?

Can you play that song?

There used to be a show, I think it was called something like: Can you name that tune? For fun, how about: Can you play that song?!

To be clear, this is meant to be a completely fun, ego-less, no hubris, just for kicks, solely for fun, right, wherein those who wish to share do so jovially. And, perhaps it’s an opportunity for people to try out new songs, maybe press themselves a little bit to learn new songs, which is good.

The bottom line is: no egos please. This is not about who is better and all that "stuff."

By all means anybody can post any songs they wish. I am going to focus on songs that I feel are reachable by a larger spectrum of drummers then only the highly advance. Sure there are songs that are incredibly difficult with varying times signatures, tempo changes, starts and stops that occur in odd-times and off-times and on-beats and off-beats, etc. Mostly, only the most high-end drummers can play those types of songs, (Frank Zappa type of stuff, etc.). I am shooting here more for songs that are tough, yet, reachable by most if they put some time and effort into it.

I think this also underscores a positive endeavor for those who don’t read to learn how to read music, which, in my opinion, can be done mostly by just reading webpages on how to read on the Internet, which teaches a lot for free these days. Or, one may learn by just watching videos about the aforementioned, and such. Being able to count, in my humble opinion, by knowing how music is “structured,” helps immensely in play more difficult songs so that one may count when to start, stop, begin, and, accent, not accent, etc.

I have recently given these two songs below to my students to mess around with, and I think it is help them a lot. So for positive purposes, I put them forth here as well.

When I say can you play it, I mean can you play it stick-for-stick, and bass drum beat, etc...all to the "T."

So my first song, is actually two songs, which I feel are very similar, and I believe one was meant to be something of a reboot of the first, performed by the same artist, as we all know, named: Meatloaf, and composed by Jim Steinman.

-I’D Do Anything For Love: Can you play it? If not, can you learn it?
    I do not know who played drums on the studio version. Does anybody know?

-The second song, also by the artist Meatloaf, and also composed by Jim Steinman: Bat out of Hell: Can you play it? If not can you learn it?
    The great drummer: Max Weinberg played it in studio by the way.

Okay, let’s have at it boys…
    Last edited by GuruMyStick; 07-05-14, 07:05 AM.
    TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-9-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

I know I can play the second song, I played it live once, excellent tune! So I guess I could play the first one aswell, that also being a wonderful song.

So if I've gotten this right it's now my turn to post a song and let someone else answer?
    I chose Incubus - Are You In? Relaxed, mellow tune, rather basic with some fun accents here and there and such, shouldn't take too long for most to learn if they can't play it after the first listen that is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M90tA302X3k

Comment

Originally posted by TheYardbird View Post
      I know I can play the second song, I played it live once, excellent tune! So I guess I could play the first one aswell, that also being a wonderful song.

So if I've gotten this right it's now my turn to post a song and let someone else answer?
      I chose Incubus - Are You In? Relaxed, mellow tune, rather basic with some fun accents here and there and such, shouldn't take too long for most to learn if they can't play it after the first listen that is
      I will check it out!
      TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-9-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

Originally posted by TheYardbird View Post

Been gone awhile, ergo the bump:

Awesome song!

Comment

Wish I had the time to learn songs note for note that are NOT in my current band lineup of new tunes I'm learning. Just not enough hours in the day!! Love the idea tho!

K
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Back in the day I could play anything plus more. Nothing could stop me. TAKE ME HOME IN A BUCKET.

Now Im Old and F--ked. Take me home in a coffin.

I just love music. Any music.

Comment

The song by which all others are judged: La Villa Strangiato
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                The song by which all others are judged: La Villa Strangiato
                One word: Epic

Comment

Conquistador - Procol Harum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cfzg3_WhLM

Comment

Originally posted by GuruMyStick View Post
                    Shoulda submitted this and the Rush song as "Song Of The Day!"

K
                    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                    X