Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundproofing my apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundproofing my apartment

Hey guys, a couple of questions.

After attempting to play my electronic drum set in my studio apartment at reasonable hours, I've had my neighbors complain on three separate occasions. As I live in Korea and I don't speak Korean well, I'm not sure if they live next to me, above me or below me....but I'm not taking any chances.

So, two questions:

First, I was going to build a tennis ball noise-reducing platform riser. My electric drumset is fairly heavy (it's a Simmons SD9K) so I'm wondering...would having three boards with two sets of tennis balls help or harm my goals of reducing noise? (riser-board-tennis balls-board-tennis balls-board-carpet)

Secondly, what cheap or free methods can I use for the side walls? I figure cardboard egg cartons are a start, but what else might be effective?

Thank you?

Egg cartons are a fire hazard.... be careful....and they are not that effective
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Ah yes, I didn't think of that. That's for the heads up,

Comment

Egg cartons = not soundproofing. Not even close.

Comment

There are a few threads on soundproofing here on vdrums. Do a search and you might find some inexpensive ways to keep your neighbours off your back.

Comment

• isuckatdrums
            isuckatdrums commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do. Didn't mean to clutter.

Chances are they live under you. If you live in a cement apartment block, the noise going across the walls should be minimal, but the "thumping" noise from your kick pedal will annoy the tenants living under you.

Search for the "tennis ball riser" for a good way to keep noise going through the floor.

Also. Roland just came out with some pads you can slip under the kick and HH pedal to dampen the noise.

People like to complain (and it's a past-time for asians ... I know, been living in Taiwan for a while). Do your best to cut the noise down, but at one point, you should also make your point across that you don't just sleep all day. People are allowed to do things in their apartment at reasonable hours.
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

There's really nothing you can do to limit air borne noise from getting through the walls and ceiling without serious work. By serious work I mean adding sheets of gypsum board to cover the entire surface of the adjoining walls and ceiling. It's doubtful that you'll be allowed to do that in an apartment. Don't even consider adding blankets to the walls, acoustical foam wedges, or anything similar. Those items will change the acoustics in your room but will do nothing as far as reducing the sound leaking into the neighboring space.

The only thing you can do that is practical is to limit structurally borne noise (basically, the energy of your stick and foot strikes reaching the floor and then traveling through structural members into the apartment below or to the sides). In this vein, a tennis ball riser has been shown to be both effective and relatively inexpensive.

Kick pedals in particular are notorious for structural sound transmission so you might want to look at some beaterless kick pedals. They may prove less problematic.

Comment

Yeah I bought Triggera Kriggs( beaterless kick triggers) which work great . I have a full sized a to e kit conversion with a 20 inch kick which is just for show, and I built a drum riser with aurelex platfoam instead of the tennis balls and O haven't heard a complaint since bit I don't play much when I know their home anyway. I am sure they come home sometimes after I start playing but for about 4 months now I have not had a problem . So Most of the noise is from kick pedals , so I believe most of the vibration and thump was taken away with the Kriggs and I like the platform and having my drums off the floor anyway!

Comment

Yeah, tennis ball riser, and two layers is better than one, but will feel more squishy.

This is the main thread on the subject, worth reading the whole thing IMHO.
                http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...ating-platform
                Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
                Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
                Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Working...
                X