Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you look when drumming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you look when drumming?

I've seen this guys video sometime back about bad habits in drumming. His #5 is looking anywhere but the kit when playing and I do that about 90% of the time. When I take on a new song, I look at the kit where I'm hitting. I think... that is part of my visualizing of what the drummer in the song is doing. Once I've learned it, I look off to the side (Hi-hat and beyond) and concentrate on my playing.

But, also noticed I was hitting rims or missing the pad completely. Especially with these small-ass pads (small-ass cymbals too) on the TD-15K. So the guy does make a good point about striking the kit more accurately.

So slowly, I'm trying to watch what I'm playing, primarily to hit the kit parts correctly.

Where do you look?

I never really thought about it but I most certainly look mostly to the left - I'm right handed. -- weird.

Comment

I generally stare out the window to my left, or close my eyes.

I think that if you have to look at your drums, you aren't familiar enough with them yet, or they're not in ideal positions.

Comment

I look quite a lot at the drums I'm hitting but not all drums at all the time. I wonder if looking at your drums helps with muscle memory as a physical action is complimented by a visual indicator?

Comment

I look at my tv and watch whatever is on if it's an easy or moderate difficult song. If it's tough, I usually look at the drums for a bit then get frustrated and drop sticks and walk away and look at more interesting things lol
          TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

Comment

Oh I forgot....when I'm on stage I'm checking the hot ladies out lol

Comment

I saw that video, and as a new drummer, it messed me up actually. I have found that I play better and more musically when I am not looking at the drums. I know where they are generally, and my main concern is only to make sure I don't hit the direct center, which is not often (I have hot spots in my DIY's).

That guy also has a snare roll technique video where more than one person says in the comments that if you follow his advice you'll ruin your technique.

So, I try to stick with Drumeo and others I trust more.
              - - -
              Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

I'm looking around at all the band members, the audience, anywhere except my kit really. I suppose when I'm by myself, I look more at the kit.
                K ;-)
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
                  I'm looking around at all the band members, the audience, anywhere except my kit really. I suppose when I'm by myself, I look more at the kit.
                  K ;-)
                  Be honest, you're looking at the hotties! ..... Unless your wife is reading this forum .... in that case everything you said is true.
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Yes, I am picking which groupie I want to bang my drum with after the gig.

Comment

Or which groupie wants me to hit their bongos with my stick lol

Comment

I'm looking deep into my wife's eye's, remembering the first time I saw her and why I fell in love...OK, she just left, I'm checking out the hotties too! There are a few songs I tend to look more at the drums just because there is a lot going on, but I'm usually looking at the audience and the band.

Since I recently started playing again after a long layoff and am over 40, on faster songs I might be looking for a paramedic, just in case!
                        TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

• hemiboy
                          hemiboy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That was so funny. We all look buddy and so do our wives snd girlfriends! As far as playing, I don't gig. So, I play in my condo and I look at everything , my pictures of the family, the tv, sometimes, and lately, I have been looking T my hand and stick positions to keep my stick heights equal and my strikes clean

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                        I never really thought about it but I most certainly look mostly to the left - I'm right handed. -- weird.
                        As a leftie, I typically look to the right ... but that's because my music stand is there and I'm often reading exercises, syncopation patterns, etc. If I do that for too long I need to stretch my neck and shoulders.

When just jamming along without reading music, I tend to look at the drums, which on an acoustic conversion kit is where all the eye-candy is!

Comment

I often stare blankly off into space when I'm really concentrating on drumming. I have to be careful where I look -- don't want to end up staring at the wrong person!

I used to play acoustic drums 10", 12", and 14", and I don't think I looked at the drums much -- I knew where everything was.

Comment

Since I've written this, I'm looking more at my kit and where I'm hitting. It seems to be helping me strike the center of the pads better

Comment

Working...
                            X