Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Along

Does anyone just drum along to songs for fun using your own stick patterning or do most of you attempt to learn the routine as originally performed?

Depends on the song. Sometimes the original beat is fun so I try to copy the beat exactly with dynamics and the right groove, other times I do my own version. Its always fun to experiment!

Comment

I usually practice sticking-patterns solely to the clicker. But every once in a while, I programm a chord progression and a verse/chorus-pattern, to have more of a 'band feeling', though. ...or I just jam to audio-tracks, if it is a complete song!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I agree with Kenny - it depends on the song. If it's a fairly easy song I'll usually improvise my way thru it if I'm just jamming by myself to keep me interested. However, if I'm playing it live I'll generally keep it as close to the original as I can or at least fake it enough to get by.
        TD-9 with Master 50 VEX pack. Three PD-85 dual triggered toms plus one 10" Hart Acupad. 10" Jobeky Drums snare. 8" Hart Acupad kick. CY-5 as hats, CY-8 and CY-14 as crashes, and CY-12R/C as ride.

Comment

Comment

I guess it all depends on the purpose. I switch between mimicking the original drummer and sometimes I like to add my own flavour. In my opinion, it's a good to be able to do both.

Here are two recent experiences I've had where I've had to play both situations:

1) I played at a music awards gig for an artist who had been nominated for "song of the year". The song had many layers and had never been played live, nor had it ever been played by a real drummer (drums were programmed by a producer). We had to stay as true to the original as possible (given it was the awards night) so my brief was to play the track note for note. It was quite hard because the drums didn't "feel" right but as we discovered when rehearsing some of the "weird fills" were super important lead-ins for the rest of the band to hit off-beat riffs etc.

2) I was asked by a band to fill in as their drummer was unable to make a gig. I had to learn 10 songs in 2 weeks. 6 songs were originals (and were recorded on an EP), 4 songs I'd never heard. The band only requested I play the same tempo/feel as the regular drummer.

* For the 6 songs, I studied the EP and made some notes and played as close to the regular drummer's rhythms as possible. The guys couldn't believe how I nailed the songs so easily and also loved some of the new dynamic variations I brought (eg. use of ride cymbla in chorus etc - simple stuff).

* For the 4 songs I'd never heard, I used my knowledge of the first 6 tracks and how the drummer played those songs, applied it to the new ones. The guys asked me "are you sure you haven't heard this before?"...a good sign I got it close to the originals.

Anyways, when it all comes down to it, sometimes you need to play note for note, other times you don't...being able to listen to a track, pick out the drums and reproduce them is a skill that can come in handy if you're helping out bands!

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

I guess it depends on the song. I do enjoy watching youtube videos of folks showing off their new sets while playing a song beat for beat. That takes a lot of practice. I'm in the process of connecting my ipod to my module so I can start playing with the song. I think it will be fun.
              Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Comment

I'm pretty much always trying to get it exactly as it is on the original. I play along to songs a lot, but I play to them because I love either the song, the drums, or both.

I might embellish after I know it perfectly, but I have to make sure I know it perfectly before messing around, or I feel like I'm cheating.

Comment

Working...
                X