Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Bass for newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Bass for newbies

Hi Gents

Just starting into the world of double bass drumming...

I'm playing a rock band, we do heavy, texas rock and sometimes a bit of prog or power metal but it's sporadic..

To get an idea of what we are playing (rehearsal quality so don't have high expectations ):

https://soundcloud.com/underdog_exile

I'm looking for a good tutorial to get the basics rights..

Anybody had a good experience with a dvd, book or any material and would like to share?

Thanks in advance
    TD-9K2 with TD-9 Module. Pearl Eliminator. ATH-M50

I can't recommend any books or DVDs and don't mean to take away any business money from anyone, but the internetzes have TONS of free stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzXMsUJw6w

just look around for the genre that fits.

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Basically, you break out an old copy of 'Stick Control', and start playing all the different 'Stickings' with your feet, instead of your hands. Left hand = left foot, right hand = right foot.

Once you got that down steadily, and at an even tempo, you start incorporating basic hand-ostinatos to 'accompany' the feet excercises!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks guys

Like the idea of appying Stick Control to the double bass pedal indeed HM-81...

Cheers

Comment

When I was learning to use a double-pedal (Still haven't mastered it, don't use it much) I just played a regular 4/4 in a comfortable tempo and used the pedal on every hi-hat stroke, you know left, right, left, right, left, right, along with the hi-hat. Then I moved onto using the my left foot with every hi-hat stroke and the right one inbetween strokes.
          Then I practiced alot by keeping a 8/4 rhythm with my feet, hitting the hi-hat on 1 and 5, and only hitting the snare on the 5.

These are like, the absolute basics, but remember that you have to master them first and then the rest will come more naturally. No need to try and keep up with some insane heavy-metal drummer right away, when biting off more than you can chew you won't learn as good. Start with the basics on a lower tempo, then practice enough to keep those basic rhythms on a higher tempo THEN start with all those badass double-bass breakdowns and stuff you hear in today's music.
          You should always push yourself, but if you push too hard you won't get anywhere.

Hope you get my blabbering, sometimes even I don't know what I'm talking about, lol.

Take care!
          //Mike.

Comment

this is a very good and challenging exercise.
            R hand eight notes counted 1 2 3 4, 2 2 3 4, 3 2 3 4 up to 10 then switch to left hand
            feet 1/4 notes on the 1 RLRLRLRL every 2 measures 1/8 notes with feet RRLL RRLL RRLL next 2 measures 1/16 notes with feet RLRLRLRL RLRLRLRL etc
            obviously you will have to work up to this. another variation ( which I am sure there are many) while your right hand is playing eight notes let your left hand play quarters.
            if you really want some independents switch your feet with your hands.
            do this excercise with a metronome start @ what ever tempo you feel comfortable with.
            you should also sit straight up do not slouch.
            you will also notice how the stick fits in your hand if you are not using correct hand technique it will be noticed.one of your sticks will not be hitting the sweet spot.practice will correct this.same with your feet.
            you can also switch your hands to 1/16 notes on all or some measures.
            do this exercise for at least 10 minutes a day and you will evolve.30 min is better. no question about it guaranteed. promise
            TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals
            Gene Krupa,Mitch Mitchell,Akira Jimbo,Milos Meier

Comment

I recently got a copy of Virgil Donati's Double Bass Freedom as a bonus to subscribing to a local Aussie drum magazine (DrumScene). I am learning to play double bass after 25+ years of only ever using my left foot on the hihat. The book states it's for beginners or those wanting to improve their foundations but there's some seriously freaky and complicated material towards the back of the book (Virgil is a freak with odd time signatures).

It starts off with a few pages of "left foot only" exercises before introducing 2 foot patterns (leading with both left and right) and then moves into more advanced exercises (syncopated rhythms, odd time signatures, fills etc). At first, I actually found some of the left foot only exercises hard to play with my right foot at the prescribed tempos, so i took the time to work on both feet. I've seen a big improvement in my left foot strength/endurance and independence over the past few months and I'm only in the first few chapters. The book comes with a play along CD so you can also hear what you're supposed to be playing for about 100 of the exercises. This will be invaluable towards the end of the book when the odd time signatures / feels are introduced.

Here's a link, showing some of the exercises in the early chapters:

http://www.drumscene.com.au/lessons/...s-drum-freedom

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice folks

Just ordered Stick Control and Double Bass Freedom

Cheers

Comment

I posted an explanation here: (http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...drum-technique) (post #7).

It's a subject I feel passionately about because I had inefficient and incorrect technique for a while, and had to re-learn some things in order to fix it. In my opinion, it's more than just doing exercises, it's making sure you're setting yourself up with good technique that won't cause any pain, and won't limit how fast you can go.

Good luck!

~B.

Comment

Just wanted to re-ignite the thread and provide an update:

After a couple of months now using Double Bass Freedom, I can really feel the improvement.
                    It's a great progressive framework.

I'm now able to incorporate double bass patterns with more confidence in rehearsals / studio recordings.

Can only recommend this book !

Comment

I do Paradiddles rudiments with my feet to warm up and practice. I start slow and accurate then the speed just automatically follows.

I certainly agree about not trying to bite off too much because it gets frustrating. It is WAY to easy to just slide that left foot a little more to the the left and get back onto the HH when things aren't working out fast. So with that said, I have to sit aside the first 5 minutes or so of practicing for working with my feet and keeping my left calf and shin in shape. But Paradiddles are my go-to excersise for some reason.

||: RLRR LRLL :||

Good luck
                      - Shawn TD30KV

Comment

Another good basic resource is Joe Franco's Double Bass Drumming. The video is on YouTube and the book is still in print.

Joe starts off at the most basic level (generally just alternating 1/8's/16's and the triplet variations), whereas Virgil's approach is rooted firmly in the rudiments. Joe's stuff is a great way to begin and Virgil's stuff will definetly get you to a HNL ('hole 'nutha level).

Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
                        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Working...
                        X