Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding different fills/rudiments and MEANING to play them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hairmetal-81
    replied
    How about some instructional material by someone like Tommy Igoe?

'Great Hands for a Lifetime' should get you going!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Mau
    replied
    Greg, I think I know where you are coming from and have explained it perfectly. Now I'm having trouble trying to say something that will make sense. I often thought what's the difference between playing one bar of 16th notes RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL, and playing them as single paradiddles, RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL. It's the same number of strokes just different sticking and if played correctly without accents on a single drum such as the snare they sound exactly the same. I think the difference occurs when you want to play that pattern using different drums or cymbals. If you don't know how to play the pattern using the different sticking you won't be able to get round the drums in time and get back to your starting point. I find it useful to watch videos where the rudiment is explained and then it goes on to show how that sticking pattern can be used as a beat or as a fill. The video below might be useful which shows the pattern, a beat and a fill. I'm not qualified to answer your question about how you know when you are going to do it, I think that just by knowing how to play certain rudiments your muscle memory allows you to play it. I hope that this helps and if I have misunderstood your question and my reply sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs I apologise in advance. I think that without knowing how to play a certain rudiment, if you saw it written down as part of a drum score in a piece of music ( and as we know pro drummers if they want work have to have some degree of reading ability) you wouldn't be able to play it without practise. It seems that knowing how to play it you could recognise it immediately when written down. Now I'm having real trouble trying to explain what I mean. I'm sure that some of the experts on this site will be able to explain it better. Could do with somebody with experience of marching drums to chip in because I think they uses them all the time http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-...paradiddle.php

Leave a comment:

• Understanding different fills/rudiments and MEANING to play them...

Hey all, so just to be upfront, I've loved drums since I was a little kid. I am by no means a pro, never have taken one lesson. I have a hard time understanding rudiments and how they fit into a song. I hope I'm coming across clear as it's kind of hard to explain on the internet but I know that during some fills that I just happen to play without thinking, I'm using some sort of rudiment like a para diddle or something like that but I don't understand how it came out. Does that make sense? I guess what I'm trying to ask is....How do I learn that during this little fill or part of the song, I'm going to use "XYZ" rudiment or this particular para diddle, and know why I'm playing it on purpose? Like instead of it just happening because my brain or hands do it. Make sense? I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it clearly, but sometimes I just feel "lost" just playing by ear or trying to imitate a recording/song instead of "knowing" that I'm going to do this exact fill.....LRLLRRLL...ETC....Any thoughts and does anyone understand where I'm coming from? Thanks!
Working...
X