Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the one thing that helped make you a better drummer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. Playing to a click consistently in live settings.

2. Recording myself, listening back, and being my own critic.

TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

• I have always thought the best approach is to practice rudiments and patterns until you are proficient enough to forget the rudiments and focus on the musicality

When one loses one-self after running as million rudiments drills, and starts expressing the soul, that is one of the ways one experiences as close to Heaven as it comes IMO
      TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

• 10/10 Playing with other people. If you're all alone, especially without a metronome, it's hard to develop timing. Playing in bands was a game changer, and molded me into a musician instead of just a hobby drummer.

Comment

• ...converting to electronics many, many moons ago....
          *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
          DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

• Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
            ...converting to electronics many, many moons ago....
            Here Here
            TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

• Scrambled eggs. I taught myself how to scramble eggs in a bowl with my left hand with the same speed and skill as with the right and what do you know, combined with drumming practice my left hand was able to handle more complexity and limb independence. WHodathunkit.

K
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenster View Post
                Scrambled eggs. I taught myself how to scramble eggs in a bowl with my left hand with the same speed and skill as with the right and what do you know, combined with drumming practice my left hand was able to handle more complexity and limb independence. WHodathunkit.

K
                That was amusing entertaining funny, and true!

I now have all my students do basically the same thing.

Starting with me, I instinctively knew that becoming more balance between right and left was critical so I began doing small things such as opening the door with my left hand, using keys with my left hand, signing with my left hand, etc. After a while I made it a point to go days at a time making sure I use my left hand as my dominant hand, being right-handed. I don't really care what sign says, at this point I consider myself to be ambidexterous. When practicing I recommend to my students, and for myself, whatever I or they are doing to do whatever it is 60% of the time left hand lead as opposed to 40% right hand lead. It doesn't always work out that one does indeed use left-hand lead equally as much is right handily. What it does is expand the mind and it is from the mind where one expresses one soul when one is playing unconsciously which is what one should be doing after rudiments and such become burned to a level where one is expressing them instead of thinking about it while playing it.

This is a very important post that Ken made, and I highly encourage and recommend that you all try to build up your left-hand in muscle, dexterity, usage, every which way possible in life, and while playing the drums, and you will see a noticeable difference in your comfortability and expansion of your ways of expressing yourself while playing.

This goes for the left leg and foot and all that jazz as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuruMyStick View Post

That was amusing entertaining funny, and true!

I now have all my students do basically the same thing.

Starting with me, I instinctively knew that becoming more balance between right and left was critical so I began doing small things such as opening the door with my left hand, using keys with my left hand, signing with my left hand, etc. After a while I made it a point to go days at a time making sure I use my left hand as my dominant hand, being right-handed. I don't really care what sign says, at this point I consider myself to be ambidexterous. When practicing I recommend to my students, and for myself, whatever I or they are doing to do whatever it is 60% of the time left hand lead as opposed to 40% right hand lead. It doesn't always work out that one does indeed use left-hand lead equally as much is right handily. What it does is expand the mind and it is from the mind where one expresses one soul when one is playing unconsciously which is what one should be doing after rudiments and such become burned to a level where one is expressing them instead of thinking about it while playing it.

This is a very important post that Ken made, and I highly encourage and recommend that you all try to build up your left-hand in muscle, dexterity, usage, every which way possible in life, and while playing the drums, and you will see a noticeable difference in your comfortability and expansion of your ways of expressing yourself while playing.

This goes for the left leg and foot and all that jazz as well.
                  My point exacty, thanks for the props! But yes, it is important and a good way to get better at drumming, worked for me! As an example, try playing the opening segment of Rush Subdivisions....Neil Peart is doing a timing thing with each hand for a bit on the HH and ride cymbal. You might think its s simple 4/4 on each hand but it isn't. Its subtly complex, even if only played for 30 seconds. Took me a few mins to get the knack. Thank goodness for scrambled eggs!

Rock on!!!
                  My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                  E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                  A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                  A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• What helped me the most and continues to help me is practice with the headphones on. If you are working on learning a new fill, pattern, etc. Listen through the headphones, not speakers.Practicing with a metronome. Start at 60 bpm then increase to 100 bpm. Slowly work up your speed. I also enjoy playing along to songs from my favorite drummers and bands. It gives me ideas, helps improve my technique, and is fun.

Comment

• In the words of the great Colin Chapman, "Simplify, then add lightness"
                      *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
                      DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

• Taking lessons from a great teacher. To me it's like the difference between working out at a gym, figuring things out by oneself vs. with a personal trainer. That person will take your goals into account, craft a workout routine to maximize the return on your time investment, and keep you growing as you meet goals and set new ones.
                        TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Comment

Working...
                        X