Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post

Same sticks here
    My sticks do get a little dirty because of the black cymbals but they last and last.

Comment

On A-kits I always preferred wood tip even thought the tips would degrade on the cymbals and they would give out too with the rim shots but then that would happen whatever tip you had. On these Es I don't think it makes any difference. Its the way you set up each trigger that makes the sound difference.

Comment

Wood or nylon? NEITHER...
        Vic Firth makes some practice sticks called Chop-out that have rubber tips. I use them for edrums and absolutely love them. They make the ambient playing noise quieter, have a nice rebound, and they don't mark up my cymbals. I am also experimenting with dipping the butt end in Flex Seal rubberized coating to improve my grip.
        I am happy.
        TD-17KV Kit, 2019 version

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
          I have 20 pairs of sticks in lots of sizes and weights. Mix of wood and nylon tips.
          I also have Ahead sticks.
          Observations are: wood tip sticks get dirtier (blacken in the grain, tip and shank), nylon seem to stay a little cleaner all round, and Aheads mark the cymbals with their little raised logos on the shank.
          Other than that, it seems like you can just use any old stick you like so long as it has no damage.
          Absolutely Same for me. Ahead, Nylon, Wood. Everything goes.

I have large Hands and prefer the feel of thicker sticks, mainly use 5B.
          Last edited by holzi2000; 05-24-19, 05:22 AM.
          Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland Triggers, Roland/Yamaha Cymbals: VH11, CY-12C, CY13R, PCY135, TD17 Module. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBrinton View Post
            Wood or nylon? NEITHER...
            Vic Firth makes some practice sticks called Chop-out that have rubber tips. I use them for edrums and absolutely love them. They make the ambient playing noise quieter, have a nice rebound, and they don't mark up my cymbals. I am also experimenting with dipping the butt end in Flex Seal rubberized coating to improve my grip.
            I am happy.
            Wow! I use the chop-outs if I donít have a practice pad. I use 5BNs on my eKit and there is a lot more rebound that the sticks sometimes fly out of my hands. I would think the rebound would increase exponentially when using chop-outs on mesh heads.

I am am not a hard hitter and have never broken a stick even on my acoustic kit. I usually wear them out on the taper until the tip eventually just falls off.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Heck yes to the Silver-Fox nylon tips. I never used nylon on acoustic although I always thought they sounded great on cymbals. Can't find a single pair of wooden tip sticks that satisfy anymore on an e drum. I got the last pair of 5B a while back on Amazon of all places. They were not an easy find but someone was so adamant about them I had to try. Doubt if I'll go back to Vic Firth after getting these. Heavier than I usually use but it feels great especially on the two ply ATV mesh heads and drum-tec 2 ply design series on the Roland pads. No discrepancies in feel on both brands, just good times putting sticks to mesh and I am more comfortable I am not jeopardizing the heads with a potential tear from wood tip (I highly doubt it though especially if they're new). Nylon tip definitely feels killer on ride and ATV optical hat and pulls the punch out of the Mimic Pro with aDrum Toms and snare. Thank you whoever it was that mentioned Silver Fox sticks on e drums as one of his small list of musts.

Giant edit I just cracked open my stickbag and immediately liked two pairs of wood tips. I love the Silver Fox but I think I went down a nylon rabbit hole. If you are curious I can't recommend the Silver Fox enough as a choice for nylon tip but I got too obsessed. Both are great and isn't that nice. I did however avoid any pair with chips in the wood tips. But Vic Firth 55A and Vater 5B are making me smile. Crap.

And back to the Silver Fox 5B Nylon tip as the final choice. Highly recommend.
              Last edited by Howstamychi; 05-25-19, 03:51 AM. Reason: slightly pigheaded and compulsive tendencies.

Comment

used wood tips for years and years on my e-drums. never had a problem. never had to replace a head or a cymbal. i prefer the sound of wood tips on real cymbals but thatís just personal preference
                E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

Both are great and isn't that nice.
                  perfect
                  E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

I prefer a completely synthetic stick. Wood sticks leave lacquer and/or wood residue on cymbals and I find I don't have to clean them nearly as much after switching to ahead sticks as most of it is covered by a plastic sleeve.

Comment

I love my wood tip sticks. Not a hint of a mark on the head. No tears, no wear. Iíve been using the same two sticks and same heads for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Macarina View Post
                        I love my wood tip sticks. Not a hint of a mark on the head. No tears, no wear. Iíve been using the same two sticks and same heads for years.
                        Wood tips are fine, as long as you monitor them closely. I play hard, and a lot. So, when I use wood tips, they splinter within a couple of months or so. Itís always a good thing to get nylon IF you can get it in the same specs you need.

I wonít even go into what my sticks look like on acoustics, except they look like something from a beaverís den.
                        Alan
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X