Nylon or wooden stick tips on electronic drums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saku View Post
    There is a sticky entitled once and for all drumsticks, maybe you can find some answers there (in the products section, i think).

sound isnt affected, except through velocity...otherwise it is a question of feel.

I like vic firth's antivibes (disliked Zildjians), but use nylon tips most of the time..
    Wooden sticks will leave noticeable fragments of wood on your black cymbals and pads and at the same time black fragments of rubber will become attached to your drum sticks. That drove me mad !! so I bought some AHEAD sticks - They stop all that . But whichever type of stick you use you will get little black bits on your mesh heads . So just have a clean cloth handy to wipe the heads and your drumsticks when you finish practising. Wooden drum sticks will respond to some warm water and washing up liquid but they are hard work !! I just wish there was a sealant to put on the rubber pads to stop all that. There is definitely a market for something like that !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
      I find that wood tips mark the rubber cymbal pad thingys
      Look closely with a magnifying glass - It is probably wood dust which can be wiped off with a clean cloth.
      You can also get black dust on mesh heads which will wipe off too !! But nylon tops will help except for shoulder strikes which will leave wood dust and collect rubber dust . AHEAD sticks although expensive will stop most of all that !!

Comment

Originally posted by Domnal View Post
        Wooden sticks will leave noticeable fragments of wood on your black cymbals and pads and at the same time black fragments of rubber will become attached to your drum sticks. That drove me mad !! so I bought some AHEAD sticks - They stop all that . But whichever type of stick you use you will get little black bits on your mesh heads . So just have a clean cloth handy to wipe the heads and your drumsticks when you finish practising. Wooden drum sticks will respond to some warm water and washing up liquid but they are hard work !! I just wish there was a sealant to put on the rubber pads to stop all that. There is definitely a market for something like that !!
        Not sure what kind of sticks or cymbals you've been using, but in 12 yrs of playing E's with wood tipped sticks I have never seen wood fragments on my cymbals or black rubber bits on my sticks or pads.

Mark
        www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

I have always used wood tips without any issue at all. I currently use Viv Firth Steve Gadds (5A), because I like the shape of the tip and it seems to help triggering.

Comment

Yep. I played a pair Chris gave me to try out, for years! Love those sticks, just wish they were easier to find! I order some from Columbus Percussion a couple weeks ago but they still haven't shown up ...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Sorry, the post above was a reply to Grogs post about SilverFox sticks. Tapatalk jacked me up

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I have 20 pairs of sticks in lots of sizes and weights. Mix of wood and nylon tips.
                I also have Ahead sticks.
                Observations are: wood tip sticks get dirtier (blacken in the grain, tip and shank), nylon seem to stay a little cleaner all round, and Aheads mark the cymbals with their little raised logos on the shank.
                Other than that, it seems like you can just use any old stick you like so long as it has no damage.

iPhone Tapatalk post

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                  I have always used wood tips without any issue at all. I currently use Viv Firth Steve Gadds (5A), because I like the shape of the tip and it seems to help triggering.
                  Same! I use wood tips for my A's and can't be bothered buying nylons as well.....never had a drama

Comment

ive played with wood tips for many years and had no issues on mesh or marks on rubber cymbals. until i switched brands
                    and stick size a couple years ago which happen to be nylon tip. on acoustic drums i liked the way nylon tips sounded on cymbals.
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Is it normal to break wooden sticks on ddrums? I have broken 3 in the past 4 months. I have only been playing since Oct. Drums are the DTX-530
                      DTX530k with Simmons DA-200s

Comment

im going to get some Zildjian DIP since I drop sticks way too much
                        Custom Flame photo wrapped Roland TD-30/MDS-25 & KD140, PD125 and PD105x3, CY11,CY14Cx2,CY-13R,CY12R ,DW racked Yamaha 9 piece Custom Recording & practice kit TD-9KX2 with PD105,PD85x3, KD85, CY8,CY5
                        Drummer for http://www.facebook.com/BloodySabbath.NY

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                          There is a sticky entitled once and for all drumsticks, maybe you can find some answers there (in the products section, i think).

sound isnt affected, except through velocity...otherwise it is a question of feel.

I like vic firth's antivibes (disliked Zildjians), but use nylon tips most of the time..

Sorry to necro this post, but I can't find a Vic Firth antivibe. Does anyone know what Vic Firth calls their antivibe type of stick?

Comment

Wood tips marks up rubber cymbals and will wreck mesh heads mesh heads faster.

Comment

All I use in Nylon tip. Vic Firth 7AN. I've had the same 4 pairs of sticks for over 1 1/2 years

Comment

Originally posted by ReeseRocket View Post
                                All I use in Nylon tip. Vic Firth 7AN. I've had the same 4 pairs of sticks for over 1 1/2 years
                                Same sticks here

Comment

Working...
                                X