Nylon or wooden stick tips on electronic drums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon or wooden stick tips on electronic drums

I have played acoustic drums for many years and Know that stick tip types and stick weights can make a lot of difference in the sound of the drums and cymbals.
    Now getting into the e-drum world does stick tip material have much effect on the sound of the instrument?

I know some of this may be personal preference , But what do you like far as stick tip, size of sticks, and weight of the sticks when useing the e-drum sets?

Do you notice any major differences in sound performance from the instrument with different stick types and weights?
    Roland TD-9 k2, Simmons SA200S Drum amp

There is a sticky entitled once and for all drumsticks, maybe you can find some answers there (in the products section, i think).

sound isnt affected, except through velocity...otherwise it is a question of feel.

I like vic firth's antivibes (disliked Zildjians), but use nylon tips most of the time..
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

This just came up in another thread.

Spurs or rough wooden stick can play hell on mesh head drums. Typically I offer few absolutes in the drum world but this is one of them: play edrums with nylon-tipped sticks. Another absolute of mine (I have three) is using Silver Fox sticks. I never thought sticks were that big a deal until I picked up a pair of these. 5A, Nylon tipped.

But like everything else in edrumming, what works best for you in terms of brand and size will differ...except for nylon tips. Use them.

www.dauphinehotel.com
      www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      www.digitaldrummermag.com
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
        Typically I offer few absolutes in the drum world but this is one of them: play edrums with nylon-tipped sticks.
        Indeed. I'd go so far as to that you should nylon tip everything. Your stick shift, your favorite pen, the dog. You name it.

We nylon-tipped our mailman years ago and he still thanks us.

Comment

I even Nylon tip the dogs, I find it helps them in their delivery of the nice ping sounds!!!
          Zildjian 5A antivibe nylon tip, now with heat shrink!!!
          NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

This just came up in another thread.

Spurs or rough wooden stick can play hell on mesh head drums. Typically I offer few absolutes in the drum world but this is one of them: play edrums with nylon-tipped sticks. Another absolute of mine (I have three) is using Silver Fox sticks. I never thought sticks were that big a deal until I picked up a pair of these. 5A, Nylon tipped.

But like everything else in edrumming, what works best for you in terms of brand and size will differ...except for nylon tips. Use them.
            I've never liked the feel of nylon tips on acoustic drums and use nothing but wooden tipped sticks. When I started e-drumming, I still used wooden tips. I just prefer the feel of them and prefer the bounce I get from them. I don't think I'll ever switch over to using nylon tips. They just feel kinda gimmicky to me.

Comment

Another absolute of mine (I have three) is using Silver Fox sticks.
              I will 100% agree with this
              I had never herd of them untill the day i picked up a pair in a shop
              5B is my size and they last for ever they dont chip out on the rim shot

Comment

Real story regarding wood vs. nylon on edrums:

For years I used Regal Tip sticks, 7A nylon, playing the edrums. I found the smaller size and mass of the 7A better suited than the more typical 5A. I had always used nylon in the past so I just kept with it. Then I discovered maple sticks. I started using the Pro-Mark Bill Bruford sigs, just a little smaller than your typical 5A. Perfect. The diameter isn't too small but maple is less dense so it's still light. But then I noticed that the wood tips tended to come apart. I found this particularly odd given that I'm hitting rubber cymbals. Anyway, then I discovered that Vic Firth makes the ST4 which is virtually identical in dimensions to the Bruford sigs and also made out of maple. The ST4 is available with a nylon tip. Perfect. But, the finish is not to my liking (I still like the finish Regal Tip uses). So now I apply a couple coats of tung oil (or polyurethane) to the stick body before using them for the first time.

Nylon tip maple sticks with a custom finish. Now, that's perfect.

Comment

I use nylon tipped on my eKit. I was thinking that wood tips would wear on the heads a bit more so I don't use them.
                  -Carl-
                  https://www.facebook.com/cjohndrummer
                  Roland TD-9K2-S V-Drums (X-panded) with Simmons DA200S Monitor

Comment

I only use Delrin tips (SilverFox ) on mine. If I couldn't get those next choice is VF nylon tips ...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I find that wood tips mark the rubber cymbal pad thingys

Comment

Currently Vic Firth American Classic 5b wood tips. Not something I'm too concerned about as I've never wrecked a mesh head in 12 years of hitting mesh with wood or nylon tips. The Vics don't seem to loose chips off the tips like some I've used. The thing I look out for is that some nylon tips have very sharp edges on the mold lines that I trim off.

Comment

I use Duratech composite sticks. They don't splinter, split or wear to any kind of sharp edge. Even constant rim smashing only causes abrasions that are smooth and cosmetic.
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I should clarify I generally use Vic Firth 7A's (wood tips of course), though I'm currently trying out VF's new "esticks" which seem to be pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rythmstik View Post
                              I only use Delrin tips (SilverFox ) on mine. If I couldn't get those next choice is VF nylon tips ...
                              Another SilverFox percussion fan! It's funny but now on their site, they don't actually say "Delrin" tips, just "nylon".

I have 3 pair of Chris Jude's signature sticks. They made a big batch for him years ago and I love em. Bought 3 pair from him 4 years ago and am still on the first pair. These sticks have the equivalent robustness of Roland mesh heads!

www.dauphinehotel.com
                              www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                              www.digitaldrummermag.com
                              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X