Stick Control for the DT-HD1 Drum Tutor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Control for the DT-HD1 Drum Tutor

I'm starting to create DT-HD1 files for the exercises from Stick Control, complete with L/R indications. If they're of interest to anyone else I'll post them as I complete them.

Craig
    [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][B]Roland TD-4S[/B] and CY-12R/C w/Gibraltar 5611 Single Bass Pedal and Mapex Throne. 15" MacBook Pro w/DT-HD1, EZdrummer, and Logic Express 9[/SIZE][/FONT]

I would be very interested

I am loving the way the tutor can teach me a bit about drum notation and kinda test me on my accuracy but there are few midi 'lessons' out there to practice with.

The Scope function on the TD9 is OK to a point but you have to watch the screen on the module and can only see a small portion of what you've played.

I don't suppose there is much call for MIDI files of Rudiments etc if you are not using something like the Tutor software

I have looked at various apps for creating MIDI or Sheet music etc and have also seen apps that will even scan hand written notation or convert a pdf. It all seems like a long winded way of going about producing something that appears so simple.
    Last edited by KaptainKremmen; 01-16-11, 10:00 AM. Reason: stupid question
    Roland TD9KX

Comment

Here are the first six exercises:

http://www.patchett.com/music/DT-HD1-SC.zip

I did these as a test before investing the time to work on the rest. Use the "Load Song" button in the software to load the exercise you want.

The only difficult part about creating these files is the L/R notation, which is done using SysEx events. So far I haven't found an app that makes editing the events easy so I'm actually converting the MIDI files to text, editing the text files, then converting back to MIDI.

Craig
      [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][B]Roland TD-4S[/B] and CY-12R/C w/Gibraltar 5611 Single Bass Pedal and Mapex Throne. 15" MacBook Pro w/DT-HD1, EZdrummer, and Logic Express 9[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I thought that software was kinda kooky at first glance.... but after watching the Roland demo video I see that it has some potential that could be further enhanced.

It would be nice if they "opened up" the software a bit and had some better editing capabilities. It's cool that you can import MIDI files but in the video it looked like the Tutor had a bit of trouble interpreting the notes in one of the later songs - like when he was playing the quick double 16ths on the bass, the software appeared to transpose it oddly (looked like a couple of 1/4 notes pushed together). So if the software had more editing features you could correct someting like that into the appropriate note values, or even better create your own patterns like Craig.

I'm not a fan of that game mode though, I think that would be a bit more useful if it came in from the right to mimic our western reading style rather than Rockband style from the top. It would really be cool to import some of the Rockband files/songs directly into the Tutor too!

I think the most outstanding features are the ability to adjust the tempos and loop portions (especially to slow things down to learn them). Also the 'bouncing ball" feature that moves on cue with the notes, which is helpful for learning to sight read -- I think that's a great way to force the eye to keep moving with the song, alllows you to scan ahead in anticipation and come back to the current measure without getting lost. That it also quantizes or checks the accuracy of your playing is another great learning tool, that could be further developed.
        Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

There are definitely some bugs in the software, especially in the way it handles notation...if you download my sample files you'll notice that despite it being in 2/2 time the software is still beaming the notes for 4/4. It seems to handle playback properly though.

Craig

Comment

Nice one. I am unable to adjust the Tempo though.

I never really use the 'rockband' view but it does have a different way of showing your accuracy. The notation screen lets you get away with more whilst the rockband view measures you more critically.
            Roland TD9KX

Comment

Originally posted by KaptainKremmen View Post
              Nice one. I am unable to adjust the Tempo though.
              Hmm...that's weird. I actually haven't tried to change the tempo on these files yet but can think of a couple of reasons it might not be working. I'm not home right now but will look into it later today.

I never really use the 'rockband' view but it does have a different way of showing your accuracy. The notation screen lets you get away with more whilst the rockband view measures you more critically.
              I don't use this mode either...I'd rather get used to reading notation and I get more feedback from it as well.

Craig

Comment

OK, I fixed the files so you can change the tempo. If you already downloaded the zip file you just need to download it again, delete the existing Stick Control Exercises folder and unzip the file to create the folder again with the new files. I also removed the accents so you can place them on different notes of the beat as part of the exercise (as others have suggested in different threads).

If these files work well for everyone then I think I'm going to write a quick and dirty program to generate the rest...the time it will take me to write the program will be less then the time it will take me to create the files by hand!

Craig

Comment

Thanks a bunch for sharing these. Can you explain how you convert the midi to text? I've used an old version of Cakewalk to create midi files for some drum lesson books I have, but one thing I am unable to do is notate accents and sticking. Being able to do this, even manually via text edits would be awesome.

Thanks again,

WGW

Comment

just found your post, I'm a dt-hd1 user and I would greatly appreciate new stuff to try in the software to spice my practice sessions, I'm at work and I just wanted to say thanks for doing this, tonight I will download the package file.
                    Roland TD9kx + Added cy12cr + Pearl Roadster D-1000spn + Pearl P-3000D Direct drive kick pedal + Roland HD-1 Drum tutor+ Vic Firth Nylon tip Steve Gadd pro model

Comment

Thanks for this also. I look forward to downloading the new files and having a bash later.

Cheers & happy Australia Day for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by wgwgoldwing View Post
                        Thanks a bunch for sharing these. Can you explain how you convert the midi to text? I've used an old version of Cakewalk to create midi files for some drum lesson books I have, but one thing I am unable to do is notate accents and sticking. Being able to do this, even manually via text edits would be awesome.
                        I'm using a pair of command line apps (mf2t/t2mf) to do the conversion. You can find them here:

http://matsp888.tripod.com

Make sure you run mf2t with the -t flag.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just figured out how to create the files so you can either load them as song files or install them as exercises in the app. As soon as I get a chance I'll update the ZIP file and post instructions.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianGeek View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just figured out how to create the files so you can either load them as song files or install them as exercises in the app. As soon as I get a chance I'll update the ZIP file and post instructions.

Craig
                            Greetings:
                            Were you able to complete this task? I too would be interested in getting the MIDI version.
                            Thanks
                            Roland TD12KX V Drums

Comment

Hello ChristianGeek. I ran across this post today, I see it is a couple of years old. I just ordered my Roland tutor HD1 and would like to know if you still have been using or developing files for the Tutor.

Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

Tlou

Comment

Working...
                              X