Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Back To Lessons Again On Monday, With.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back To Lessons Again On Monday, With.....

So I'm starting back to lessons on Monday. I studied all of 2009 with a drummer in my area Dave Berger on technique and rudiments and stuff. Woodshedded for that whole year doing 4-5 hours a day of just book work and technique work. Learned a lot from him but I'm stepping it up now.

Starting lessons with Ted Mackenzie www.tedmackenzie.com

I'm super excited as he's a monster on technique, and an amazing drummer, clinician. He re-authored one of the top selling snare drum/rudiment books in the world, and has studied directly under Jim Chapin & Henry Adler. So I'm going to be building up warm-up regimines, efficiency, speed, dynamics, rudiments around the kit, etc.

I'm very modest in my playing, but I know I'm a good drummer now, with pretty solid technique; but always looking to learn/grow more. I'll be doing the Drum Off through Guitar Center in 2011 and want to study with Ted for at least a couple years to really get on the ball with everything and get more up to snuff in how I want to be playing. Check out his website, videos, books and stuff, he's a really good guy.
    Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

That dude is a beast. Think he's going to make you learn trad grip? I love that he mentions brushes as one of the corner-stones in his teaching.
    They constantly embrace music only to stifle it. They dissect it, unaware of their preliminary murder of it, and without understanding that the work they have pulled to pieces lacks only one thing, but the most important: life.

Comment

My last teacher also studied with Jim Chapin - he spoke very highly of Jim's skill and teaching methods so I expect you will get a lot from this guy too.

Comment

Got a suspicious site warning when I tried to access his Videos link:

Safe Browsing
        Diagnostic page for tedmackenzie.com/video

What is the current listing status for tedmackenzie.com/video?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 1 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-10-17, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-10-17.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including hermosayasociados.com/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS26496 (PAH)...

Comment

Site works fine for me. He's 62 years old, not looking to harm anyone, lol. Yeah he's been teching his methods for the past 30+ years so he's got it down to a science at this point. I've already got solid technique but this will help shape it up more and build up even more speed, sensitivity, dynamics, fluidity around the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Watso View Post
            That dude is a beast. Think he's going to make you learn trad grip? I love that he mentions brushes as one of the corner-stones in his teaching.
            He teaches/plays both, and I only play matched (never been taught Traditional). But to be honest, I'd love to learn, and he's a firm believer on traditional still brings a little more speed to the table, and if you're good in traditional, matched comes so much easier afterwards. So we'll see. I can see another year of hard pressed technique building now, lol.

One of his main methods for building speed, efficiency, etc. is the brushes. The "Ultimate Drummers Workout" DVD he put out is all about that. He said to me when we were on the phone that he'll go through that with me and my speed/efficiency will go up ten fold, so I'm stoked.

Comment

Don't forget to play with other musicians. There's nothing like the dynamics of making music in a group.

Comment

Hah I know that. :P. I've been in bands since I was 15. I'm building up a cover band now with my guitarist friend.

Comment

Working...
                X