Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

beater position between kicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beater position between kicks

I was just watching an instructional video and the drummer was resting the beater on the skin of the kick drum between each stroke of the beat.

I was wondering if this is normal practice for most drummers or not. As a beginner I tend to have the beater held back from the kick drum between kicks

thanks

On an acoustic drum you can get a different sound by stopping the beater on the head or releasing it after the stroke. But on edrums it makes no difference to the sound ( although I think this is now possible with the tdw20 ) but to answer your question both ways are accepted playing techniques...
    My Kit
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

"Burying the beater" (forcing it hard into the drum and holding it there) is a bop and jazz technique for the most part. Resting the beater on the head is something that doesn't typically cause problems with acoustic drums, but can with edrums by causing unintended triggering. IMO, your best technique is to not rest the beater against the head.

BTW, the difference in sound with the TDW20 (and TD20) when burying the beater is a trick, caused by the typically higher velocity of a buried strike.
      Last edited by stickinthemud; 01-20-09, 11:53 PM.
      Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
          Resting the beater on the head is something that doesn't typically cause problems with acoustic drums, but can with edrums by causing unintended triggering.
          My experience has been that this is more prevalent with mesh kick triggers. I had a lot of trouble dialing in the kick with the kd-85 but no trouble with the kd-8. I am a beater bury'er...though I wish I weren't...

Comment

i'm a beater burier
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
              i'm a beater burier
              That would make for catchy punk rock song title

Heck, I can almost imagine the flashy chorus

I'm a beater burier
              I'm a beater burier
              I'm a beater burier
              I'm a beater burier

Although probably at standard punk rock speed there will hardly be time for burying it.

------------------------------------------------
              Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Originally posted by Synkopat View Post
                That would make for catchy punk rock song title

Heck, I can almost imagine the flashy chorus

I'm a beater burier
                I'm a beater burier
                I'm a beater burier
                I'm a beater burier

Although probably at standard punk rock speed there will hardly be time for burying it.
                you are welcome. i am glad to be of help.
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Guilty too.
                  TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

It's good if you've got the beater away from the head, it means you're reloaded and ready to kick again whereas beater buriers have to make an extra movement to get the beater back. Usually this extra movement ends up happening out of time with the music and can even throw their timing off a little.

If you can play using the full bounce rebound of the beater you've always got the option of burying to get that muted sound if you want to (on an acoustic kit), if you always bury then that's the only sound you've got

Comment

and it is really really easy to get double strikes, as has been said, unintentionally, if you bury your beater...jacking up the spring tension so you get clean lift off is one way of curing that problem...
                      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

It dont matter. Sometimes I bury it, Sometimes I dont. It depends what Im Playing. Sometimes Im heel up, sometimes Im heel down. You do what it takes to get the feel.

When I was playing A's I use to rest the stick on the snare between beats. If I do that with these E's I get a rim shot.

You just have to learn to work round it. Thats the fun.

Comment

Old habits die hard. When I began learning (self teaching) so many years ago the wealth of knowledge found on the Internet did not exist. By the time I realized I might be doing something wrong by burring the beater it was to late. I do take solas in the fact that many of who could be considered accomplished drummers also burry the beater out of habit and not just for a muting technique.
                          TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

Originally posted by cstoliker View Post
                            Old habits die hard. When I began learning (self teaching) so many years ago the wealth of knowledge found on the Internet did not exist. By the time I realized I might be doing something wrong by burring the beater it was to late. I do take solas in the fact that many of who could be considered accomplished drummers also burry the beater out of habit and not just for a muting technique.

**** sorry everyone not used to the forum layout. Just seen my awnser doh.
                            Last edited by simonfly; 01-25-09, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I basically bury the beater brilliantly.
                              TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Working...
                              X