Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Rotating boom arm - solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating boom arm - solution!

There's a TD-20 kit I use regularly (I'm one of many users), and the cymbal arms have been gradually loosening, just under the boom knuckle/tilter. Basically, the boom rotates out of position while playing, which gets annoying fast! Despite the keeper of the kit's efforts, duct tape has proved useless in stopping the turning.

So... I had a brainstorm. And I apologize if this has already been addressed (I couldn't find it in a search.)

Slip a 3/4" electrical conduit coupler on the lower portion of the arm, move it all the way up to the boom tilter, and tighten the screws. Like so...

Not only does it solve the problem and looks fairly invisible compared to tape, but it's easy and cheap - a 5-pc bag of them is $3.27 at Lowe's.

Bermuda
    Last edited by bermuda; 01-14-09, 05:12 PM.

Neat fix!

Bruce

Comment

i have 4 tom arm's with the same problem from an older acoustic kit, your my hero

Dave
      Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

that's a really good tip Bermuda

but have a look at the high quality wingnut on that cymbal arm !!!!! Looks like it's been attacked by all manner of devices

Comment

And that's one of the nice wingnuts! I've replaced a few with broken ears. The kit is really beat, but the drummers adapt and major repairs are handled by the venue. But the swinging boom arm thing finally had to be addressed!

Bermuda

Comment

Working...
          X