Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Left or right handed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left or right handed?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and the world of V-drums, having just ordered a TD3-KW kit. Can't wait for it to arrive!

I just wanted to ask a quick question, and I apologise that my first post is a question!

I'm left handed but I'm going to try and learn the drums right handed. I wondered if there are any other lefties on here who have cracked the right hand technique or just gave up and swapped to left?
    The reason I ask is that I find it much more natural (as I would) to tap keep a beat with my left foot and left hand (ie Bass and Hi-Hat)

Any guidance / advice greatly appreciated... I'm sure I'll be posting many more times once my kit arrives and I start playing with Cubase and AD!

Cheers,

Freddie.

Go with is more natural for you.

Comment

do both! you're a drummer!!
      seriously though, which ever is more comfortable to you, the drums wont know the difference...

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Cool. Thanks. Thats pretty much what I was thinking too.. Do both..
        I'm gonna start right and see if I can get it first..

Also.. another question?

I've ordered my TD3 Kit, but it's out of stock for a few weeks so I've been looking around the other kits just to kill time and dream etc, and it got me to thinking....

If you could choose (and you were on a tight budget) would you still go for
        the TD3 over the HD-1?

The TD-3 was nearly double the price of the HD-1 and I hope I've made the right choice as the HD-1 may suit me being a beginner?!!?

[ Never mind - I just searched the forum on TD3 vs HD1 and found my answer.. looks like the general consensus is that anything below a TD3 is pointless. Cool.. all these answers at my fingertips! ]
        Last edited by Freddie; 01-13-09, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post

I'm left handed but I'm going to try and learn the drums right handed. I wondered if there are any other lefties on here who have cracked the right hand technique or just gave up and swapped to left?
          The reason I ask is that I find it much more natural (as I would) to tap keep a beat with my left foot and left hand (ie Bass and Hi-Hat)
          Welcome to the forum!

I'm a lefty who plays standard right hand kit, but I play uncrossed all the time. This builds stamina and finesse in both hands equally and means you don't clack sticks when playing busier snare patterns. (In other words I play the snare with my right hand when I'm on the hi hat, then I play the snare with the left hand when I'm on the ride)

There's been a lot of discussion on here:

http://vdrums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1231323

but you might find yourself more confused if you read through all this

I'm thinking maybe try a right handed setup for a while but when you've got a few basic grooves down then try experimenting with different layouts. Ultimately only you can decide what feels best for you but you need to have been playing a little while to be able to judge.

Would probably go for a TD3 over an HD1 as you can use a proper bass drum pedal with the 3. It's possible that the TD3 is being replaced sometime very soon and maybe that's why they aren't in stock... there may be an announcement at the NAMM show (15th to 18th Jan)

Comment

Cheers Fat Rich,

Funny, I never even considered uncrossing my arms having watched all videos with the right over left... Just tried it uncrosssed and that feels very natural. Always the simplest stuff works best!

I want to learn right handed mainly for the ease of being able to jump on any kit and play... I guess us lefties have the advantage that due to "having to use it" our right hand skill is quite developed.

Yeah, I agree - TD3 for me I think. I like the idea of having a platform to build from. the HD-1 is kind of "it"... nowhere to go as I progress.
            I've heard the TD-3 is being replaced by a TD-4 model, but Googles yields no real results!! Always the way.. buy something and it's out od fate the next day! Oh um...

Finally... When you are practising strokes as a either a lefty or right are the strokes still the same, ie r l r l rr l r l r ll etc..

Comment

I am right handed but there are several things I do left handed. Using both hands comes in handy in my line of work as a house painter.

When I first started playing the drums in school band, years ago, my left hand was always the stronger hand. This became a problem in marching band where the drum line needs the same sticking. I had to do a lot of adapting.

I have always used a right handed kit. When my kit was small I still always started fills with my left hand. At the end of the fill I always did a left para diddle so I could have my right hand free for the one beat back to the crash or ride cymbal. Later on as my kit got larger, I had to learn to start fills with the right hand. The more tom toms demanded it.

If you are starting as a new drummer, I would recommend learning to play right handed. It will also allow you to play other peoples kits.
              Custom V drum kit, Roland VS2480CD recorder, Fender Jazz Bass, Martin D28 Guitar, KRK8 monitors, JBL 4312 monitors, Mesa Boogie Bass Amp, Marshall Guitar Amp

Comment

You did right with the TD-3 over the HD-1.

Starting out as a new drummer, quite frankly, trying to play with your "opposite" hand is frustrating and slows your learning curve. Instead of trying to master the basics and making progress, you end up struggling to make a hand work that simply doesn't want to work that way. Been there, done that, got the tshirt.

Set the kit up and play it however is most comfortable to you. Also keep in mind that many lefties (raises hand) aren't "totally" lefty. That makes for some odd drum combinations. For example, I bat left, throw right, eat left, kick right. As such, my kick drum is for "right footed" drummers, ie., most of em. My toms flow Left-to-Right like most drummers. My snare sits over on the left which I play with my right hand. HH and ride are also over on the right and are played with the left hand.

It took me a year to figure that crap out all the while stuck playing on a right-handed kit. Once I made the switch, my playing got better.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

It would be a priceless achievement, learning to play both left & right handed...The independensy that you'll gain....I wish I could...
                  But I' d be a little afraid to do so because I wouldn't want to set aside my regural practice and progress just to train my "other" hand....but again if you feel like to or have plenty of practice time then it's the best thing to do...
                  It would also look so cool

Comment

and think of it this way, having a kit set up left means not many people wanting to play your kit..
                    back whan i was in a cover band we had a shared night with a nother band and i wanted to bring my own drums, the rest of my band tried to talk me into just playing the other guys kit . it was a very good thing i did bring my kit as the other guys kit was set up lefty
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with setting up and learning to play your kit left-handed. Really, it's all about whatever feels best for you. The only issue that might come up is if you're playing a gig where several bands are sharing the same set. But that's rare. Otherwise, it might be a bit difficult to try out new gear at the music store. I'd say try it out both ways for a few weeks and go with what you feel most comfortable with. I've known some lefty drummers who preferred a "normal" setup and some who've gone with a reversed setup....

Comment

Okay, I've seen several times the whole "band using one kit" deal (acoustic) and there was a left-handed drummer in the mix.

They simply made sure that the items that would most likely need to be moved (ride, HH and snare) were on their own stands. 60 seconds moving them to where they need to be and presto! Left-handed drummer was fine.

Abe does raise a good point: setup the kit right-handed just to see how it feels. You might prefer it that way, who knows. All I know is when our keyboard player stuck two drum sticks in my hand and said "here's how to play a basic 4/4 beat" on his TD-7 kit, he'd set it up for right-handed and certain elements of it (as explained above) *never* felt right until I finally got tired of trying to make my limbs operate in a manner for which they weren't inclined to do.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks heaps people. Plenty of food for thought there.

The uncrossed method seems like a goer at the moment. I guess time will tell and when I FINALLY get my kit I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
                          Going to setup stock standard at first.

I'm finding that to be a good drummer you have to start out a frustrated guitar player!! hahahah!

Comment

I'm left handed and play a right handed kit. Crossed or hi-hat in the middle. I decided to go with this since 95% of the kits in the universe are set up for righties.

Unless you're really strapped for room, the TD-3 is the winner over the HD-1 (which is great for a tight space).

Comment

I'm left-handed and play open-handed on a right-handed kit. This way I can easily use almost any kit (since most are setup right-handed). I do play the ride with my right hand, which has the added benefit of increasing my right hand's strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X