Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Anyone have any good articles/tips on setting up bass drum pedal/throne height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any good articles/tips on setting up bass drum pedal/throne height?

Im having issues consistently getting off two 16th notes...if thats what you want to call them. Ive tried heel down/heel up, but I feel I may be missing something in throne height, bass pedal tension, beater length, etc...
    TD-3 Vdrums with extra CY-8

Hi Mike.

Setting the kick and throne height is the first thing to do. This has got to be right.

I would suggest playing heel down to start with cause you have more control.

Set your throne so your feet are flat on the floor and your thighs are either level or angled slightly down, and with your shins angled out about 5 degrees.

Put you foot on the kick pedal in a normal resting position and check the beater is 3 to 4 inches from the kick head. If not, readjust the throne height / position.

Spring tension is an individual thing. You dont want it so tight that you have to concentrate on pushing it down. Adjust it so its light but still comes back with your foot on the lift when kicking fast. The beater should strike the centre of the head.

If it still occurs, bear in mind that double triggering is a common problem on e-kits, and some allow you to mask this out in the set-up, but when it comes down to it, its a tecnique problem that should sort its self out in time.

Ive been playing these E things for 2 years now and it still happens to me occasionally.

Hope this helps. Good luck mate.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
      Hi Mike.

Setting the kick and throne height is the first thing to do. This has got to be right.

I would suggest playing heel down to start with cause you have more control.

Set your throne so your feet are flat on the floor and your thighs are either level or angled slightly down, and with your shins angled out about 5 degrees.

Put you foot on the kick pedal in a normal resting position and check the beater is 3 to 4 inches from the kick head. If not, readjust the throne height / position.

Spring tension is an individual thing. You dont want it so tight that you have to concentrate on pushing it down. Adjust it so its light but still comes back with your foot on the lift when kicking fast. The beater should strike the centre of the head.

If it still occurs, bear in mind that double triggering is a common problem on e-kits, and some allow you to mask this out in the set-up, but when it comes down to it, its a tecnique problem that should sort its self out in time.

Ive been playing these E things for 2 years now and it still happens to me occasionally.

Hope this helps. Good luck mate.
      Thanks, I dont have any double triggering issues, but starting to wonder if I was just having ankle muscle fatigue. I had been playing to my mp3 player fairly often, but a recent tryout for a band had me practicing for longer than a hour and its then when I noticed it really bad. I did lower my throne and that helped a ton, and boosted the spring tension which helped. Something tells me I wasnt in the right alignment and practice yesterday it improved(complete tear down and reset up of my drums) and tonight, I just played for 2 hours and had no issues. Its sort of one of those things you can easily overlook(proper height, etc) and can make all the difference, thanks for the tips!
      TD-3 Vdrums with extra CY-8

Comment

Hi mate. Its good to know your getting it sorted.

Throne height and its relative position to the kick is the most important thing to get right when your first setting up the kit. Once this is right' you then have to concentrate on getting the height and position of the snare and hihat right.

Once this is done everything else just follows on.

When you think you've got everything right, play it for a week, and then re-adjust. The more fluent you get, the more things will change. Ive been playing these E's for 2 years now and if I had a £1 for every time Ive moved the snare I'd be a very rich man by now.

Comment

Your knee should form a 90 degree angle while seated (or a touch bigger).

Comment

Working...
          X