Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Stick tricks: no..really

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick tricks: no..really

Ladies and Gents

I need to start doing goofy stick tricks... I auditioned for a band that likes my "musical" playing but wants the drummer to do a lot of that "flashy" stuff...

-I DO NOT CURRENTLY TWIRL, SPIN OR OTHERWISE DO THINGS WITH MY STICKS OTHER THAN HIT THE DRUM HEADS/CYMBALS!!!-

Any tips...practice hints.. etc..???

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Find another band???

No, probably not the answer you are looking for. But still, think about it: if stick tricks aren't your thing: why?

Comment

Drumstick Spinology always seems to get good reviews: Drum stick spinning

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
        Ladies and Gents

I need to start doing goofy stick tricks... I auditioned for a band that likes my "musical" playing but wants the drummer to do a lot of that "flashy" stuff...

-I DO NOT CURRENTLY TWIRL, SPIN OR OTHERWISE DO THINGS WITH MY STICKS OTHER THAN HIT THE DRUM HEADS/CYMBALS!!!-

E
        drumstick spinology:

amazon,com
        http://www.amazon.com/Drumstick-Spin...0579256&sr=1-7

amazon.co,uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drumstick-Sp...0579330&sr=1-1
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
          Ladies and Gents

E
          Watch Youtube.
          2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Originally posted by rythm View Post
            Watch Youtube.
            There are tons of videos on YouTube, but you can either do it or you can't.
            I fall into the 'can't so gave up trying' category...
            Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
              Find another band???

No, probably not the answer you are looking for. But still, think about it: if stick tricks aren't your thing: why?
              -it's a paying, regular gig...enough so to let me go to part time at my job.

Otherwise I would have no interest what-so-ever!

E
              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

most drum stick spinology twirls are too hard, imho
                i'd just type "fake stick twirl" in youtube,
                anybody can learn that one fast.
                it's the only one i can do and only righthand,
                but, i'm not spending much time 'twirling' ..
                Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

It does seem a little silly that these guys are focussing on something as non-essential and non-musical as stick tricks, but performance has a lot to do with flash, so there you go... I love watching guitarists throw themselves about the stage while they are playing! Also, drum corps stuff would not be nearly as entertaining without all the razzle-dazzle and stickwork.
                  Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Get yourself some of those glow-in-the-dark sticks, and everybody is happy.

Comment

Theres a Chip Ritter DVD about stick tricks.
                      What about the round the head thing Eric Singer does.
                      Then theres the throw the stick in the air thing (throw and catch on the beat)
                      Then the fake spn but your goin to have to cover more with your feet and other hand for back beats etc.
                      Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
                        It does seem a little silly that these guys are focussing on something as non-essential and non-musical as stick tricks, but performance has a lot to do with flash, so there you go... I love watching guitarists throw themselves about the stage while they are playing! Also, drum corps stuff would not be nearly as entertaining without all the razzle-dazzle and stickwork.
                        Agreed...but the "flash" is a big part of the band.. mostly 80's stuff..

I don't care for the music much...but a paying gig playing drums beats sitting here every day of the week!

E

Comment

i got a trick learn to juggle and play at the same time just throw the stick up on the rebound and use like four different colored sticks that glow in the dark. or get some invisible magic string to play with and convince people your a Jedi drummer.
                          binary solo! 000001 0000011 0000111 0001111 (oh)
                          000001 (oh oh) 0000011 (oh) 00000111 (one) 00001111
                          come on sucker lick my battery.
                          Boogie,boogie, Robo boogie!
                          boogie, Robo boogie

Comment

To answer your question more directly... Once you've found a technique you want to use (youtube is a great start), practice, practice, practice! Just like drumming, stick tricks are a lot of muscle memory.

If you are just sitting around watching TV, put a stick in your hand and work it around your fingers. (or fake spin) As a drummer, you're already able to make your limbs do different things while focusing on something else. Same principle here. Train your finger/forearm muscles to move the stick while you are focusing on another task. This way you won't get as frustrated or bored with stick trick practice.

The thing you want to work on is getting the tricks smooth and natural, then work them into your drumming. The idea here is to get used to spinning sticks without really thinking about spinning sticks.

Hope that helps a bit.
                            -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Comment

John Blackwell DVDs. He's the guru of showmanship of today's drummers if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                              X