Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

weird rebound stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird rebound stroke

Okay girls and guys;

here's something interesting I can't seem to figure out.

I've been practicing my rebound stroke. I have a QT Practice pad. My strokes are real even, height is good, they sound even and the arc of the sticks is pretty in line. I I can consistantly hit the same spot on practice pad.

Okay I'm pretty happy about this.

So I have a td9kx. I'm running trough some rudiments and I find that my left hand the arc of the stroke has a wobble o it on the rebound off the snare head.

If I put the QT pad on top of the snare all is good and the arc is correct . is this a result of not having the head tension even on the snare?

Got me stumped!!!

thanks
    rj
    TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

It could just be that you're simply not used to playing on a head. It's kind of different than a pad. Do you have any acoustic drum playing experience?

Try practicing more on your mesh pad and see how that goes.

Good luck!
    TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

Thaks for the insite, Sorry to say I have not been on an acoustic kit in about 25 years (ouch!).. Anyhow it is coming back but I can see that there are some areas that need some major improvement as well as correction.

I just don't remember having this problem ( back then)

thanks
      RJ
      TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

Comment

The rebound off a mesh head is different than that off a practice pad (or regular head, for that matter). The mesh heads feel "springy" (like a trampoline) when they are on the looser side. Try tightening the head and see if that helps.
        Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

5 Stars goes to stickinthemud.

I took your advise and raised the head tension up "a quarter turn". on each headbolt.

presto, all is good. I suspect the head tension was too low. This caused the rebound stroke to go all over the place as the head was flexing too much.

it also brought the head tension up to something that is more comperable to my practice pad. ( they're now pretty close)

Thanks everybody for the input!

Happy New Year
          RJ

Comment

Originally posted by Vdrum_Noob View Post
            5 Stars goes to stickinthemud.

I took your advise and raised the head tension up "a quarter turn". on each headbolt.

presto, all is good. I suspect the head tension was too low. This caused the rebound stroke to go all over the place as the head was flexing too much.

it also brought the head tension up to something that is more comperable to my practice pad. ( they're now pretty close)

Thanks everybody for the input!

Happy New Year
            RJ
            Just goes to show - even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then!
            Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Working...
            X