Announcement

Collapse

Technique Posting Guidelines

PLAYING TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Question playing triplets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question playing triplets

A question for playing triplets (like in Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody): when playing triplets on the snare do you alternate L and R or do you play LRR or RLL? Alternating seems to make me loose the beat.

And when playing triplets on the hihat: alternating L and R (starting with L) or only R's (and using Moeller technique or something like that)?

Traditionally, a triplet is played R-L-R L-R-L.

But Slade is playing an odd shuffle on that song. The right hand is playing just the first and last note of the triplet like:
    R-x-R R-x-R
    And the left is playing the 2 and 4 like a regular back beat.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
      Traditionally, a triplet is played R-L-R L-R-L.

But Slade is playing an odd shuffle on that song. The right hand is playing just the first and last note of the triplet like:
      R-x-R R-x-R
      And the left is playing the 2 and 4 like a regular back beat.
      Thanks Michael that should keep me playing the couplets all summer long, but I should have made clear I was referring to the fills just before the chorus with the snare just going ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta (if you know what I mean. Rereading it outsiders must think drummers are just a crazy bunch of freaks. Or just infantile).

Comment

The fills are simple R-L-R L-R-L R-L-R L-R-L.
        I thought we were infantile freaks!
        sigpic

Comment

OK, than I just have to work harder on the plain triplets. Switching of the leading hand (as in R-l-r L-r-l R-l-r L-r-l) throws me off beat regularly (although I have no problems with paradiddles) especially when variating 4 beat with 3 or 2 beat fills. LRR or RLL would seem easier. Oh well, nothing comes just like that, right, you have to work on it.

Yeah, reading most posts here 'infantile freak' would be a more appropriate name than 'drummer'. Who came up with the latter anyway? An infantile freak?

Comment

Perhaps I.ve been miss lead but I have considered triplets as a “feel” rather then a pattern. Combinations’ of R-L-R, L-R-R and even dividing them between 1 & 3 limbs (with feet). Adjusting the mechanics to fit the application. During fills especially depending on when you need to land.

It can even be taken to an extreme as I have seen Neil Peart do 4 note triplets by doubling up two of the notes maintaining the Tri-PL-Let feel.
            TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

Triplets are just three notes that are the same as a quarter note or eighth (or sixteenth). Neither a pattern or a feel - just a notation. They can be played using any sticking, or drum, like you said. We were just discussing how Slade did it.

My teacher has me doing double stroke triplets all the time, which freaks me out. Especially when you single stroke the accent and double stroke the rest. I guess that's why Peart is Peart and Render is an infantile freak!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X